Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joey Hannon Memorial Triathlon

Options
  • 17-02-2012 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭

Folks the entry opens on Monday morning for Joey

Go to http://www.limericktriathlon.com/

Fom the site
    Monday - Joey Hannan Memorial Triathlon entries open!
    Entries will open on Active Europe at 9am, for the Olympic , Sprint and Try a Tri events which will all take place on Sunday April 29th - a link to the entry will be posted here.
    To ensure the smooth running of the race, you will be asked to estimate your Swim, bike and run times when entering.
    Active do not accept LASER cards - so if you don't have access to a VISA or Mastercard, we suggest you get a pre paid VISA debit card.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Cheers Shotgun, had forgotten about this.

On the estimated swim bike and run times, how accurate is the bike and run course? I'm presuming I won't get away with a shorter swim on the day?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

Any idea of a price?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Make sure to estimate your swim time and -1min. You're well strong enough for the fast wave BTH and its a slight advantage to be with the strong swimmers if you can hold feet. I gave a realistic time when registering for a different race before. I ended up in the 2nd last as opposed to last wave. Fortunately i knew someone who wasn't doing the race who had been drawn fast wave so i was able to move around and in the end i was 2nd of 6 out of the lane

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

jester1980 wrote: »
    Any idea of a price?

Use the promo "shotgun" to receive 25% off ;) Aint that right Mike :P

Bambaata wrote: »
    Make sure to estimate your swim time and -1min. You're well strong enough for the fast wave BTH and its a slight advantage to be with the strong swimmers if you can hold feet. I gave a realistic time when registering for a different race before. I ended up in the 2nd last as opposed to last wave. Fortunately i knew someone who wasn't doing the race who had been drawn fast wave so i was able to move around and in the end i was 2nd of 6 out of the lane

Cheers Eddie. I was thinking of putting down 24:30 for the swim which would have had me 21st in last years swim. You reckoning I should put down a faster time again? 23:30? That would have been top 10! Me thinking I'll come in with a top 10 swim :eek:? I can hear the laughter now!

If I can hold onto the feet for the first 100 I should last a good while, and that'll be the hope on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Does this usually sell out? Thinking of doing the sprint but won't know for a few weeks whether I'll make it or not.

Does this usually sell out? Thinking of doing the sprint but won't know for a few weeks whether I'll make it or not.

I would imagine that the sprint wouldnt, or at least won't for a few weeks anyway, but cant be sure. The Olympic will probably sell out quick enough as its a NS race

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Holy god I didn't expect that to fill up so fast...

Got in the last 6 slots by the skin of my trisuit :D

10 weeks to race 1 so...

Oh and Eugene, this turbo freak is going for the Bike Prime to shut your outdoor rules Guff!

No? Was it too early to start the banter 10 weeks out? :D

Edit - I should add bike prime between us as per earlier banter towards turbo users ;)

Fazz wrote: »
    Holy god I didn't expect that to fill up so fast...

Got in the last 6 slots by the skin of my trisuit :D

10 weeks to race 1 so...

Oh and Eugene, this turbo freak is going for the Bike Prime to shut your outdoor rules Guff!

No? Was it too early to start the banter 10 weeks out? :D

Interesting...

So, what were your estimated splits???

And Ian, you'd wanna make sure you bring arm warmers, jacket, socks, gloves, etc.. It might be cold outside. I hope the course is nice and flat for you too. You do know bikes can go up hills, right?

• Advertisement

Classic stuff I like it :D

Do we not bring our Turbo's down and do the bike in transition no? :D
    There was me thinkin it was all indoors :)

Splits were enough to put me in the top group I hope but just a guess as never done the course so no idea.
    I'm banking on decent improvements from last year but time will tell.

Aww crap might want to make a decision on the sprint for myself.

Aww crap might want to make a decision on the sprint for myself.

Did you just miss out?

Sprint is a junior NS race afaik. Feckin fast fish some of them are!

Classic stuff I like it :D

Do we not bring our Turbo's down and do the bike in transition no? :D
    There was me thinkin it was all indoors :)

Splits were enough to put me in the top group I hope but just a guess as never done the course so no idea.
    I'm banking on decent improvements from last year but time will tell.

Money where you mouth is Fazz, I wanna see numbers!

Did you just miss out?

Sprint is a junior NS race afaik. Feckin fast fish some of them are!

I'm mulling over the sprint but not sure if I'll make it down so don't want to commit. Not many entries left though...

Money where you mouth is Fazz, I wanna see numbers!

No point talking made up numbers, their meaningless with so many variables wind, rain, etc.

Don't worry about my numbers Eugene, you've got enough on your plate trying to save face beating the bike split of this indoor soft flat fair weather warm turbo user.... :D

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I'm mulling over the sprint but not sure if I'll make it down so don't want to commit. Not many entries left though...
    Down to 17 places now. Popular race!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

16 now..... ;)

Wanted to do the Olympic but was too slow, the sprint will have to do.

PWEI wrote: »
    16 now..... ;)

Wanted to do the Olympic but was too slow, the sprint will have to do.
    Im doing the Olympic.

And Im probably too slow! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

No point talking made up numbers, their meaningless with so many variables wind, rain, etc.

Don't worry about my numbers Eugene, you've got enough on your plate trying to save face beating the bike split of this indoor soft flat fair weather warm turbo user.... :D

Am predicting top tens for both you boys this year in NS races

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

I have a couple of dumb questions as I've never done a pool triathlon, I've entered the sprint race.

could I wear a wetsuit? I was thinking I'd like the practice for transitions.

Are there rules about the turns like do I need to touch the wall with my hand or can I do my sort of turn and just push off with my feet?

pc11 wrote: »
    I have a couple of dumb questions as I've never done a pool triathlon, I've entered the sprint race.

Are there rules about the turns like do I need to touch the wall with my hand or can I do my sort of turn and just push off with my feet?
    I wouldnt think you could wear a wetsuit. It would be too hot, anyway.

Practice transitions after your ow swim training.

As long as you touch the wall I think youre good, BUT tumble turns are banned in most pool events.

Am predicting top tens for both you boys this year in NS races

Top tens? Not sure about that. Looking at the results last year Joey might be the best chance of that. Don't think I'll manage it anywhere else though.
    pc11 wrote: »

No wetsuits. You be far too warm.

No tumble turning allowed. Not sure if you have to touch wall with your hand or not, but I would imagine not tumble turning, and not touching with you hand must be slower. Official line at http://www.triathlonireland.com/index.php?id=111&nid=308

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

I just organised a pass for this race and then I find out its sold out. Long shot but is there a cancellations list?

How do the transitions work in the pool based tris anyway? I assume you swim in your togs and not a tri suit?(thats a guess from looking at joey hannon pics) - quick dash to the changing rooms for transition? Transitions must be slow enough if you're going to be walking along the deck?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

How do the transitions work in the pool based tris anyway? I assume you swim in your togs and not a tri suit?(thats a guess from looking at joey hannon pics) - quick dash to the changing rooms for transition? Transitions must be slow enough if you're going to be walking along the deck?

No you swim in your tri suit but some people choose to swim in a two piece tri suit & put on the top in transition. I did this at last years Joey Hannon but I won't be doing it this year as I had difficulty getting the top on my wet body and wasted over a minute. Transition is outside with your bike so as soon as you get out of the pool you head for the exit door.

Changing rooms? :) Any pool tris I've done I wore the trisuit as normal. Straight out to t1 with slightly less hassle of not fighting with a wetsuit. Otherwise its all the same.

[QUOTE=Oryx;77218933]Changing rooms? :) Any pool tris I've done I wore the trisuit as normal. Straight out to t1 with slightly less hassle of not fighting with a wetsuit. Otherwise its all the same.[/QUOTE]

That was my confusion :pac: Thoughts always were "Where the fudge is T1?"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Rumour has it that there are more places opening today. Anyone else heard any news to that effect?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 sonas060

does anyone know can i change the times i gave at regristration? think i was too ambitious with my swim time!
    thanks

Advertisement