Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joey Hannon Memorial Triathlon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

I made the worse mistake, was rushing to get myself into the Sprint as only few places left and had to enter the TRY a TRi for mrs also but forgot to change the name of entrant and left my name in, so i'm doing the Sprint and the Try. Have mailed them to see can they fix but heard nothing back. Hopefully its only a slight adjustment they need to make.

Idiot of the week goes to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 donmc

Hi guys,

is there an other entry date to come?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ivany

donmc wrote: »
    Hi guys,

is there an other entry date to come?

Unfortunately not, there will be no further opportunities to enter the race

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ivany

sonas060 wrote: »
    does anyone know can i change the times i gave at regristration? think i was too ambitious with my swim time!
    thanks
    If you e-mail joey_race_secretary@limericktriathlon.com with your details & amended swim time you can change your time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

jester1980 wrote: »
    I made the worse mistake, was rushing to get myself into the Sprint as only few places left and had to enter the TRY a TRi for mrs also but forgot to change the name of entrant and left my name in, so i'm doing the Sprint and the Try. Have mailed them to see can they fix but heard nothing back. Hopefully its only a slight adjustment they need to make.

Idiot of the week goes to me.

I normally end up doing the wifes too. A couple of times last year she came last in the Mens 35-39 category. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Has anyone done this before, looking at times from last year for the Sprint and times seem so be on the slow side for the cycle. (Still faster than me) :D

But is the course very hilly or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Has anyone done this before, looking at times from last year for the Sprint and times seem so be on the slow side for the cycle. (Still faster than me) :D

But is the course very hilly or something?

It's because the cycle was 24k & not 20k. I did it last year & at the race briefing we were told it was 24k. I'm not sure about this years race, I hope it's 20k as you can't really gauge your time properly against previous times.

Thanks mate, seems to have been the same the year before. Strange advertising a Sprint Distance and then having a different distance for Cycle.

I had just thought the whole thing was up and down hills :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

PWEI wrote: »
    It's because the cycle was 24k & not 20k. I did it last year & at the race briefing we were told it was 24k. I'm not sure about this years race, I hope it's 20k as you can't really gauge your time properly against previous times.

So would it not be better if it were 24k again, for comparisons sake?

So would it not be better if it were 24k again, for comparisons sake?

Obvisouly it would be good to compare it to last years time but I like to compare my times to my previous sprint race times.

• Advertisement

Obvisouly it would be good to compare it to last years time but I like to compare my times to my previous sprint race times.

20k on one course is not the same as 20k on another course

No one is going to compare their Beast of the East bike split to their Athy bike split for example...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Complete waste of time. No race in Ireland is accurately measured. None. And conditions on the day play such a huge role that direct comparisons are pointless.

Well if that's the case then having PB's or comparing your 5k & 10k run times would be a complete waste of time also. Because of "conditions on the day" or because one 10k course is flat & another is hilly. Of course conditions play their part and some courses are a lot tougher than others. I still like to compare my times though & if you don't, well that's entirely up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

The closest you will ever get to being able to compare times is by repeating the event year on year.

As well as the race course you also have to factor in transition areas too which can be dramatically diffferent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Well if that's the case then having PB's or comparing your 5k & 10k run times would be a complete waste of time also

Weather is much more influential on bike times than run times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Entry/Wave list is not yet online, but from a quick couple of checks the below are confirmed as entered.

David Richardson - 3rd Last year, Home Race, 2nd in Nenagh last week.
    Shane Scadding - 2nd last year, fastest bike split
    Ruaidhri Geraghty - 4th last year, always strong particularly bike & run.
    David Cahill - fresh from his Laois Tri win he'll be on a high.
    Mariusz Olejniczak - won a Naas Duathlon a couple months ago beating Bjorn Ludick in the process, fast swimmer, fast runner

So 3 of the top 4 from 2011, bound to be some I've missed as well.
    And those that have improved to try mix it up too - BTH and I will aim to be amongst these ;)
    Looks a pretty competitive field from that list alone so should be interesting.

Clearly DaveR1 & Shane Scadding would have to be favourite's heading into this. Mariusz could be a strong bet though as well!

It's a pool swim so lane division and position can be a factor for the swim at least. May help or hinder depending on point of view.

Who's in better shape at this stage of the season?

Roll on National Series Race 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Fazz wrote: »
    Ruaidhri Geraghty - 4th last year, always strong particularly bike & run.

Was chatting to a few high end club cyclists at a wedding in Mayo over the weekend and they said Geraghty has come on big style from last year, he probably wont be able to make up the time he loses in the swim though

Anyone know that time the races kick off, can't see anything on thier site.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Anyone know that time the races kick off, can't see anything on thier site.

You didnt look too hard!! ;)
    http://www.limericktriathlon.com/drupal/files/Joey_Hannan_Race_Briefing%20_2011.pdf

Ha, browsed at that but saw 2011 so ignored it.

Reg 7-8 on Sun, that means a 5.15 start from Dublin. Lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭moby2101

Hi
    Quick query, I have an entry for Sundays Joey Hannon that I am unable to use.(.I have a back injury from last year that resulted in a herniated disc. I'm a couple of months further down the line training wise than I had hoped...hoping to make Hell of the west)

Can I sell it on to someone who may be looking for an entry?

Cheers

Mike

Ha, browsed at that but saw 2011 so ignored it.

Reg 7-8 on Sun, that means a 5.15 start from Dublin. Lovely.

2012 Race Briefing now online

http://www.limericktriathlon.com/drupal/files/Joey%20Race%20Briefing%202012_0.pdf

Foyer of Sports Arena – University of Limerick

7.30am – 8.30am Sharp - Sunday 29th April
    (Very Very Limited registration) Foyer of U.L. Arena as above
    Parking All cars must be parked in designated carparks by 8:30am
    Due to road & gate closures in UL

Transition Open 07.00 am – Car Park at side of ARENA 50m Pool
    Transition Closes 8.30am – Athletes must leave the transition area to attend race
    briefing and will not be allowed to re-enter until after their swim.

08:30am Race Briefing (All 3 races) - Transition area in front of arena (Or inside the
    pool area if weather is poor)

9:00am Start Wave 1 Novice try-a tri & Junior race
    9:25am Start Wave 2 Sprint distance (slower wave)
    9:55am Start Wave 3 Sprint distance (fast wave)
    10:35am Start Wave 4 Olympic distance (Slower wave)
    11:25am Start Wave 5 Olympic distance (Faster wave)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

moby2101 wrote: »
    Hi
    Quick query, I have an entry for Sundays Joey Hannon that I am unable to use.(.I have a back injury from last year that resulted in a herniated disc. I'm a couple of months further down the line training wise than I had hoped...hoping to make Hell of the west)

Can I sell it on to someone who may be looking for an entry?

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike, is this for Sprint or Oly, ?
    As i may be interested if the price is right ;)
    I will mail the Organising team as I heard the dead line for transfers was last friday.

B.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Best of luck everyone. Looking forward to reading about how this shapes up for people. Enjoy! :cool:

Yeah good luck all, hopefully race day goes to plans and everyone enjoys a great race.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Johndoe64

Doing the sprint on Sunday - First Tri jebus I'm nervous but in a good way.

Swim is going to be the hard part for me - bike and run should be fine.

Give it a lash and enjoy! Best of luck all Joey bound bodies!

Give it a lash and enjoy! Best of luck all Joey bound bodies!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Best of luck all, looking forward to seeing how these rivalries pan out!

• Advertisement

Meh... Bit of a miffed day for me.
    Had a few problems but that's racing.

9th overall, awaiting age group prize now for 3rd in AG.

BTH had worse stomach issues than me at run, but still raced well for 15th.

Will do up race report later with details of how race went!
    Lets just say that me and BTH did the longer swim option... And it kinda carried on with issues for me from there.

Advertisement