Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joey Hannon Memorial Triathlon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

Any results yet? That wind was a nightmare. When will I learn the lesson about deep front rims in windy conditions? Although at the start line it didn't seem so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭damo80

Nwm2 wrote: »
    Any results yet? That wind was a nightmare. When will I learn the lesson about deep front rims in windy conditions? Although at the start line it didn't seem so bad.
    Results up on TI website

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Texts sent out also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Good results folks. Fresh wind for ye but no rain thankfully! Nice start to the season Fazz worth a NS top 10! Well done. Savage bike too although from the results a little too close to RG or what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

good to see a fellow club member take 2nd overall in the Olympic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Fazz wrote: »
    Meh... Bit of a miffed day for me.
    Had a few problems but that's racing.

9th overall, awaiting age group prize now for 3rd in AG.

BTH had worse stomach issues than me at run, but still raced well for 15th.

Will do up race report later with details of how race went!
    Lets just say that me and BTH did the longer swim option... And it kinda carried on with issues for me from there.

No bloody Internet for me all weekend except for bits of 3G here and there so it was late when I got the results! In fairness they are great results for team boards! 1 sec between the two lads in the swim! Fazz what happened in T1?! Also what were the time penalties for? I've made up my own version of what happened:

Ye obviously got out of the water one after the other, BTH first and as he was Fazz pulled on his leg to drag him back into the pool, BTH is raging, absolutely raging, so he gets out and legs it after Fazz! Spotting him in T2 he legs it over, decks Fazz leaving him dazed on the ground with little birdies flying around his head......this would also explain the long transition time for Fazz.

Am I close?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

No bloody Internet for me all weekend except for bits of 3G here and there so it was late when I got the results! In fairness they are great results for team boards! 1 sec between the two lads in the swim! Fazz what happened in T1?! Also what were the time penalties for? I've made up my own version of what happened:

Ye obviously got out of the water one after the other, BTH first and as he was Fazz pulled on his leg to drag him back into the pool, BTH is raging, absolutely raging, so he gets out and legs it after Fazz! Spotting him in T2 he legs it over, decks Fazz leaving him dazed on the ground with little birdies flying around his head......this would also explain the long transition time for Fazz.

Am I close?

You're in the wrong profession. Spot on!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Everyone keeps picking the "penalties" as though ye were cheating lol. When i did the Joey i had the same thing almost happen to me. I tailed a guy the whole way and he got a tap, i didn't. I just got out with him and explained as i passed the steward i had tailed the guy for every inch of the swim. I would have been raging had i been made swim an extra 100.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Some good results posted by the Boards crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

So first NS of the season done, pleased to bank a top 10 but had a number of issues and ultimately a bad race for me.

Results and all splits now up: http://www.triathlonireland.com/index.php?id=107&nid=738

Swim: 26:07 - 1,600m (hence the -1:35 penalty to amend at end)
    Actual Swim time in pool was 23:54 for the 1500 Long course - or 25:30 for 1600. Official times include out back door to timing mat.
    Felt I swam badly, mainly had poor turns off wall and didn't get into a fast rhythm I felt. Still not the worst for a pool swim.
    Our lane started slow, but I wasn't sure whether to pass at 50m so held back, lots of feet being tapped from all ends.
    Stroke wasn't as clean as usual, and waited as obliged a couple times to let others pass ahead as feet were being tapped.
    The extra 100m came about as lane marshal missed BTH's cap and didn't call him, I was behind him and carried on also as had Lost count. Half the lane had got out just ahead of BTH which I copped on the 1,550 turn. Doh!
    Told officials at end of race and they were aware and adjusted time via negative penalty so no harm done other than bit of energy and traffic as a result.

T1 - Bad to Worse!

I ran out with BTH into T1, helmet on etc and as I was leaving noticed BTH run back for something, it was then I copped I didn't put on my number belt!
    So back around Transition, number belt on (it ripped), and off around transition again!
    Lost - 1min. - gotta be one of worst transitions in the race I'd say!

Bike - no flying mount - didn't practice it, hopped on and started off on my way.
    Passed a lot of folk on way out, and chased down BTH around the 15k mark, Mike Yelverton passed against me as I was around 16-17k, so I knew I was a good bit down.
    Dave R1 was behind him, and Marius Olenickjak in 3rd.
    Had a few targets ahead to chase down, and at half way point I reached down to grab my first gel and both were gone!
    Schoolboy error hadn't taped them on to stem securely enough...
    Then a couple mins later as I'm pushing, my right Tri extension bar came loose!
    I thought it was my whole bars at first, looked down and checked for a crack, then realised it was just the right one as it was way out in front.
    So spent the next few mins trying to wind it back in, failed, ended up hanging on and holding it back when in tri position.
    I went back to hoods for security a few times as it was windy, there was open road ahead and no sign of anyone.
    I was passed for the first time heading back by traffic lights after railway tracks. This is when I knew I had lost time faffing and not pushing as a result.
    Backed off the required 10m so as not to draft, and then took off after lights and repassed him. Kept lead into T2 and stayed in hoods mostly.
    5th fastest Bike split, and I lost at least 30-60secs from gel/tri bar messing and not pushing trying to sort it.

T2 - slightly slow as wind had blown runners and all over a bit, but grabbed my spare gel and headed out.

Run - Never got going. Had to use gel at start of run which I don't like and got slight stomach cramps as a result. This eased at 2k and I couldn't really get pushing into the red from this. Ultimately suspect the lack of gels caused main issues here and perhaps not enough fuel to go hard.
    The course had a lot of turns, lot of wind and exposure so not the fastest, but I just couldn't get pushing into the red zone at all. Either due to not enough energy from gels missed, or just a bad run day.

Overall I finished 9th once my swim time was amended. Not a bad result for a pretty bad day with issues in each area!
    Pretty decent field, and I think I should be a bit closer in next few races once issues are ironed out hopefully!
    I'm hoping that's my bad race done, and onwards and upwards from here!

Next up, Valentia in 2 weeks time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

Well organsied race ysterday and everything kicked off bang on time which was great.

My 2nd ever sprint and came 57th i think so was delighted by that.

Bike course was 24 km again which was fine but was gutted when i thought it was twenty and thought i had a brutal time. Actually a nice little bike course.

Thanks to Limerick Tri for a great day.

Good results folks. Fresh wind for ye but no rain thankfully! Nice start to the season Fazz worth a NS top 10! Well done. Savage bike too although from the results a little too close to RG or what happened?

Cheers - didn't see Ruadhri on bike at all - he was around 45 seconds up the road so that explains it... T1 didn't help me there :)

I enjoyed the bike course, nice road, v windy in places but sheltered in others.
    Actually found my head getting blown sideways from cross winds at times!
    It was ok though, my bike soon followed :D

Disc cover did well and didn't cause me any issues more than others were having!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

First tri done,
    a few silly mistakes which cost time, but overall 11th in the sprint and 2nd in the age cat,

happy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Well done Fazz, great race despite those little details but as you say they will be ironed out. Don't really agree with opening comment however....'ultimately a bad race for me.."?? Come on, despite those things it was surely ultimatley a good race for you! Also savage bike split altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

BennyMul wrote: »
    First tri done,
    a few silly mistakes which cost time, but overall 11th in the sprint and 2nd in the age cat,

happy out.

BM, cracking result for your first Tri -excellent job. Super stuff!

Well done Fazz, great race despite those little details but as you say they will be ironed out. Don't really agree with opening comment however....'ultimately a bad race for me.."?? Come on, despite those things it was surely ultimatley a good race for you!

No chance!

I left time out there in every discipline! And run was shocking.
    While I'm happy to bag 9th, I know it should have been a few mins better so can't quite bring myself to say a good race!

But same could be said for the others possibly who knows!
    I'm content with it, but know there's more to come when things go better.
    I am happy to show solid progress in a NS race, especially with the little issues had.
    Enjoyed it all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

My 2nd Sprint tri this year and was hoping for top 20 finish..
    swim was weak leg but did ok 16.40- now for cycle and loads to pass out which i loved- passed around 80 people and did 6th fastest time of day, 2nd fastest in my category 3539 with 41.11, then into transition and rookie mistake- couldnt find my runners- cost me around 30sec looking for them-eventually found them- felt great so belted off on run- reckoned I was around 20th at this stage counting cyclists ahead of me- passed out 2 or 3 guys in first 2k of run and still felt good- aiming for 22min 5k then disaster hit around the soccer pitches- felt like I got a kick from a horse in the right hamstring- ground to a fast halt- tried running again and severe pain shooting up my hamstring- my race unfortunately was over-gutted, hobbled the last 2k home for a 5k time of 36mins. 84th out of 205- , if I had done my projected 22mins-would have done top 20- where to from here!! registered for kilkee in 8weeks- torn hamstring!!! what to do????
    anyway good day and well run!! i'll be back

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Johndoe64

Picked up my gear from transition and mistakenly picked up a pair of goggles & hat that weren't mine (they were in with my towel) only found them a while ago when emptying my bag - if anyone is missing a set let me know. I'll throw this up on the Limerick Tri Forum as well.

My friend left her runners behind too if anyone finds a pair with no owner. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

BennyMul wrote: »
    First tri done,

happy out.

Well done, very very impressive for a first tri. Just saw your time there for the bike, superb. You most do a lot of cycling.

Just seen there that I also finished 2nd in my age group. Was there age group prizes in the sprint?

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    My friend left her runners behind too if anyone finds a pair with no owner. :)

I spotted a pair of runners in the lost property basket at the pool this morning but they looked to be a large enough pair of orange colour I think :confused:. I can check if you let me know her size or else ring them direct. Lim Tri Club normally post up a list of lost property after an event but there's nothing up yet. Might be worth emailing the director if no joy there. I might be able to drop them down your neck of the woods if they turn up.

They are lunarglide, size 5, black, pink laces. Hopefully someone knows where they are. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Fazz wrote: »
    No chance!

I left time out there in every discipline! And run was shocking.
    While I'm happy to bag 9th, I know it should have been a few mins better so can't quite bring myself to say a good race!

But same could be said for the others possibly who knows!
    I'm content with it, but know there's more to come when things go better.
    I am happy to show solid progress in a NS race, especially with the little issues had.
    Enjoyed it all the same!

Well done Ian. some solid progress there.

Oryx wrote: »
    They are lunarglide, size 5, black, pink laces. Hopefully someone knows where they are. :)

The lost property list is up but they don't seem to be there :(http://www.limericktriathlon.com/drupal/?q=content/lost-and-found

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

i thought there was a more recent thread on this race, anyway ,

anyone know when race info will be sent out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

miller82 wrote: »
    i thought there was a more recent thread on this race, anyway ,

anyone know when race info will be sent out ?

Just got an email. Briefing will be up this afternoon on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

Just got an email. Briefing will be up this afternoon on the website.

yeah, got it too. cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I got no e mail, they don't love me:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Doing the sprint at the weekend....wave 4??? lane 10 :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Wave 2, Lane 8............yes i'm a slow swimmer:D

Advertisement