Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joey Hannon Memorial Triathlon

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

I propose the Joey Olympic as Irelands highest level Oly race. The run course was a bit short today, but something like the top 15% ran at a sub 40min 10k pace even accounting for the missing 150m. With the try a tri and sprint taking away a lot of the slower people the average speed of the Olympic is impressive. Where is faster?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Anyone know what distance the run actually was, thought I did a 5k p.b. but if the route was shorter then that's a bit dissapointing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I done the Olympic distance so the 10km run and it came up about 80m short for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭slayer91

Did the Sprint and my Garmin 910 had the cycle at 19:51km and the run at 4:90km.

A bit annoying when you think about it.... The head TI offical went overboard a bit on the race briefing asking the participants about drafting distances and rules about keeping the transition areas free of clutter, but they seemed to turn a blind eye to dodgy distances. (No offence to Limerick Tri who put on a great show as usual)
    Regs

Liam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

slayer91 wrote: »
    Did the Sprint and my Garmin 910 had the cycle at 19:51km and the run at 4:90km.

A bit annoying when you think about it.... The head TI offical went overboard a bit on the race briefing asking the participants about drafting distances and rules about keeping the transition areas free of clutter, but they seemed to turn a blind eye to dodgy distances. (No offence to Limerick Tri who put on a great show as usual)
    Regs

Liam

Garmin's aren't 100% accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Liam

I was wondering why the sprint times were way faster than last year.
    The cycle last year was actually 24K even though it was advertised at 20k.
    A lot of people were baffled as to why their cycle time was so slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Regs

Liam
    Hi there,

Just a few points on this post,
    AS said already Garmins are not 100% especially on a twisty course like yesterday.
    Its not down to TI Offical's to measure the course or to ensure that the course is measured exact, but it is there job to ensure the rules are been observed, telling people at the brIefing about the rules are part of the job of TO

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭NorthernRaider

Assuming the distance was close to 10k, that is a really impressive standard of running. Is it simply that athletes are even stronger this year (NC Duathlon had some very fast running times too)? Any other explanation? It's ever tougher to keep up!

As for Kevin Thornton, that performance would surely put him close to the professional level? Initially thought his time was an error!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

Assuming the distance was close to 10k, that is a really impressive standard of running. Is it simply that athletes are even stronger this year (NC Duathlon had some very fast running times too)? Any other explanation? It's ever tougher to keep up!

As for Kevin Thornton, that performance would surely put him close to the professional level? Initially thought his time was an error!

Yeah, he's really flying - smashed the course record in the North Tipp Sprint the previous week as well. Is he planning on going pro does anybody know?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Far too much over reliance on Garmin to tell you course length.

Triathlons always vary in course length as it is generally on public roads, factoring in safe turning points etc you will never get the same standard distances race to race.

Sprint / Standard / Middle / Long are indicators of race length, not definitive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Certainly the standards appear to raise each year however distances change and hard to judge.
    NC duathlon was short but still some v impressive times (add 35-40 secs for real 10k per my calcs).

Joey's run course changed from last year and times are notably faster all round.
    I'm not sure the distance exactly, heard it was short but not sure how much.

That doesn't take anything from Kevin's race though. There's no doubt he nailed it and to win by that margin was very impressive.
    He will be very hard to beat in NS this year.

Advertisement