Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1981 Porsche 924: rear seat belts Y/N?

Options
  • 17-02-2012 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I have two kids - one just 4 years old - and although I just bought a lovely 1981 Porsche 924 I can't use it much because it comes without rear seat belts.

Any experienced 924'ers can advise as to whether getting rear seat belts fitted (assuming it's possible) would devalue the car's resale appeal significantly and/or damage the upholstery?

And does anyone know of somewhere in Dublin (around the city centre) that could do it competently and for a reasonable price?

Thanks in advance!

Oh and here she is:

http://www.delizia.com/pix/DSCN1370.jpg
    http://www.delizia.com/pix/DSCN1371.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭trevorbrady

I'd be 99.999999% sure that the 924 has the captive nuts already welded into the body to accept three point inertia reel seatbelts in the rear. As for affecting resale value. Seriously? It's not a 1920s Rolls Royce. Extra seatbelts would be a selling point in my book.

Tidy car you have there though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭trevorbrady

here: http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=19112&highlight=rear+seat+belts

google is your friend for things like this...

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Diegodelizia

Thanks for the advice!

And does anyone know anyone who could do it? I am totally green and worse than all thumbs and I know I'd make a right old mess.

And yes, thanks, it's pretty tidy all right. I drove it from Norwich to Holyhead in one fell swoop, never felt one day older than 10 years :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Yeah, I believe the bolts are there. I bought a set of new belts off eBay to fit in the back of my 1983 924 - but never got around to it.

Actually - I chickened out a bit as I thought I was going to have to puncture holes in my nice leather seats. :pac:

Nice car, btw. Am jealous of your cheap tax.

Thanks Dades - so I assume your seat belts are still languishing unused in your garage? If you are looking to sell them on give me a shout :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭mountain

I have used this company
    www.quickfitsbs.com/
    for redoing the belts in an old volvo that i have.

I found them to be very helpful and knowledgeable

Here is a link to some porsches they have done,

http://www.quickfitsbs.com/gallery_porsche.php

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Resale value would be of little concern to me when it would get in the way of safety especially when it's for the little ones! Get the belts in asap and get out and enjoy it.
    Lovely looking car btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭a_v525

I have 2-point seatbelts in the rear of my '81 n/a and I'd say they are anything BUT safe tbh, they're like old roller-coaster belts, but still probably more safer than no belts...

...and yes you will have to make a small tear in your vinyl seats to get to the bolts

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭salysol

i have a set of rear belts,still in the car,what colour are your seats

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Nice car. I used to have a minerva blue one way back.

• Advertisement

Thanks Dades - so I assume your seat belts are still languishing unused in your garage? If you are looking to sell them on give me a shout :)
    They are languishing indeed, however I'm going to hang onto them as I've a couple of small kids myself and one of them will be in a booster later this year. :)
    They are aftermarkets - not Porsche ones btw.
    salysol wrote: »
    i have a set of rear belts,still in the car,what colour are your seats
    Very nice brown ones according to this pic!

Dades wrote: »
    They are languishing indeed, however I'm going to hang onto them as I've a couple of small kids myself and one of them will be in a booster later this year. :)
    They are aftermarkets - not Porsche ones btw.

Very nice brown ones according to this pic!
    A pity ,i have a few sets of seats but not brown,might have saved you having to cut a hole in yours,but fortunately it's only the leather part you will need to cut.
    i will have a look later and see what the belts are like.

A pity ,i have a few sets of seats but not brown,might have saved you having to cut a hole in yours,but fortunately it's only the leather part you will need to cut.
    i will have a look later and see what the belts are like.
    I assume this is directed at the OP who is owner of these brown seats!

I assume this is directed at the OP who is owner of these brown seats!
    yes you are right, thats if he still needs seat belts.

yes you are right, thats if he still needs seat belts.

I do - for some reason I didn't get notification of your messages, sorry for not replying!

Yes, seats are brown half leather with a sunburst effect, can't get much more late 70s than that. What I am looking for most is the address of someone in Dublin who could do the job for me without messing up and without costing more than what I paid for the car.

Any pointers?

Thanks!

I do - for some reason I didn't get notification of your messages, sorry for not replying!

Yes, seats are brown half leather with a sunburst effect, can't get much more late 70s than that. What I am looking for most is the address of someone in Dublin who could do the job for me without messing up and without costing more than what I paid for the car.

Any pointers?

Thanks!
    it should be a fairly straight forward job,as the mounting points should be there so all you will need to do is make a hole on each side of the rear base seat in a small cross ,about the size of a euro coin,there is a nylon washer at the back of the seat belt fastener that stops it damaging the seat.
    http://www.google.ie/search?q=porsche+924+rear+seat+belt+pics&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvnsfd&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=XfhLT-XbD5S3hAf7lJlH&sqi=2&ved=0CCgQsAQ&biw=1252&bih=512

I ambled on to Barry Whelan in Dublin 8 who's just around the corner from me and he said he'll do it, seemed very friendly, will post results

I ambled on to Barry Whelan in Dublin 8 who's just around the corner from me and he said he'll do it, seemed very friendly, will post results

Well, Barry did a great job, supplied and fitted two lap belts plus an overall service to the car, same day, and at a reasonable price. I also got hold of his mobile phone number (his landline is still listed but has been discontinued). And he was very nice about my 924 - I was afraid he'd be a bit of a 911 snob :)

Well, Barry did a great job, supplied and fitted two lap belts plus an overall service to the car, same day, and at a reasonable price. I also got hold of his mobile phone number (his landline is still listed but has been discontinued). And he was very nice about my 924 - I was afraid he'd be a bit of a 911 snob :)
    Good to hear you got sorted. :)

Is there a car seat you can use with a 4 year that can held in place by lap belts?
    I assumed to get a car seat secure in the back I'd need 3-pointers?

Good to hear you got sorted. :)

Is there a car seat you can use with a 4 year that can held in place by lap belts?
    I assumed to get a car seat secure in the back I'd need 3-pointers?

Well, of course 3 point belts would be better, but for short trips a lap belt is enough. Of course it also depends on how disciplined the 4-year old is... :rolleyes: I would not recommend it as a device to prevent an unruly child from getting up.

• Advertisement

Well, of course 3 point belts would be better, but for short trips a lap belt is enough. Of course it also depends on how disciplined the 4-year old is... :rolleyes: I would not recommend it as a device to prevent an unruly child from getting up.
    That answer won't convince my missis!

Is there some reason you went with lap belts? The points are there for 3-pointers... did Barry suggest it was a whole lot more work?

That answer won't convince my missis!

Is there some reason you went with lap belts? The points are there for 3-pointers... did Barry suggest it was a whole lot more work?

Ha, my missis wasn't convinced anyway. When I announced I got the seat belts fitted she merely said "The children are not allowed to ride in that car anyway." in a matter of fact voice.

The reason for my choice is quite simple. Three point belts were not available and his supplier said they would take 3 months (!) to arrive. I chose to put in lap belts so that at least I can take the boy to the swimming pool. Barry did say that when the 3 point belts were available it would be easy and not too expensive to swap them.

In any case you can't fit retracting belts, it's the fixed-length ones you adjust manually.

Ha, my missis wasn't convinced anyway. When I announced I got the seat belts fitted she merely said "The children are not allowed to ride in that car anyway." in a matter of fact voice.

The reason for my choice is quite simple. Three point belts were not available and his supplier said they would take 3 months (!) to arrive. I chose to put in lap belts so that at least I can take the boy to the swimming pool. Barry did say that when the 3 point belts were available it would be easy and not too expensive to swap them.

In any case you can't fit retracting belts, it's the fixed-length ones you adjust manually.
    i have 2 924 with retracting rear belts ?

i have 2 924 with retracting rear belts ?

What year are they?:eek:

What year are they?:eek:
    i imagine they were a later fit ,one would be a 84 / the other 81.

i imagine they were a later fit ,one would be a 84 / the other 81.

I'd be curious to see a picture. Maybe Barry just doesn't approve of retracting belts :rolleyes:

I'd be curious to see a picture. Maybe Barry just doesn't approve of retracting belts :rolleyes:
    The interior is from a later oval dash 944 fitted into one of my 924.
    I didn't pay much attention to the rear belts , but upon closer inspection they are resting behind the carpet,they are not fixed nor is there any fixing points in that area.
    Here's some pics.

010-3.jpg
    009-5.jpg

my mistake i thought they were mounted on the fixing points,but the inner wheel arch would have to be drilled in order to fit them,it makes me wonder why the previous owner bothered putting them in,they are serving no purpose at all.

my mistake i thought they were mounted on the fixing points,but the inner wheel arch would have to be drilled in order to fit them,it makes me wonder why the previous owner bothered putting them in,they are serving no purpose at all.

Maybe to mollify his missis? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭a_v525

yellow 924

nice :cool:

• Advertisement

Maybe to mollify his missis? :P
    i'd say more likely to fill the holes,but you could be right on the mrs

Advertisement