Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best course in Dublin?

Options
  • 17-02-2012 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hey there,

Looking for people's opinions on the best course (paid / unpaid) in Dublin to learn sufficient German to be employable in a primarily German speaking job environment in as short a time as possible.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

The Goethe Institut is, I'm sure most would agree, the best German teaching school in Ireland. It's expensive but you get what you pay for.

I notice you said the shortest time possible: How long before you expect to be fluent? You absolutely won't be fluent to a business speaking level in a year or even two years unless you don't have a job/commitments/can spend a serious amount of time self studying. The only quicker way I can see is moving to Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Phier

Yeah i figured there would be no easy fix.

Well, i've been trying to find work in either Berlin or Zurich the past 3/4 months and i'm reaching a point where if i don't get something soon my time would be better served learning the language. But as you say, it would be better to be fully immersed in it without option, which is not going to happen while i'm stuck here.

I found this: http://www.goethe.de/ins/ie/dub/lrn/deu/ext/c21/deindex.htm
    But don't seen any C2.2+ courses listed. Would something like the above be suitable to begin with?

On what level is your German currently? What experience, study etc.

Small amount self-taught but pretty much non-existent as far as practical use goes.

Phier wrote: »
    Small amount self-taught but pretty much non-existent as far as practical use goes.

Ah then sorry to tell you but the C level is at least a few years away!

Here is the framework for each level.

There are Six levels from A1 to C2.

These levels are split into two terms. For example the A1 is the A1.1 followed by the A1.2. This may sound very disheartening that it's going to take such a long time but once you get the basics, I find it's much easier to get by over there and you'll pick things up much quicker.

I, myself have a German girlfriend and I'm moving there in 2013. I'm just taking all levels at it's set pace (At A1.2 now) and enjoying the ride. I should be at B2.1 by the time I'm ready to go.

Albeit it won't be perfect and it's not at a spectacular level but I'll pick the rest up when I'm there... That's the plan anyway!

• Advertisement

Ah i see. I assumed C was below A.

I see B1 is commonly listed as an entry requirement for workplaces.
    Chances are i'm going to have to find an English speaking job in Zurich and pick up the basics as i go along (the end goal being a few quid in the bank and a place in Berlin), but does Goethe do a pre-A level course?

Cheers.

There is no pre A level afaik. A1.1 is literally starts with "Hello, good morning" to personal pronouns, to grammar. It starts at the bottom for someone with absolutely zero experience. It builds up fairly quickly though, unless you know how the grammar, articles and things like that, definitely start at the A1.1

You could also consider grinds.

I'm almost at the level of going to start watching german movies and watching things I've already seen in German.

German is the opposite to English.

English is easy to start then gets more difficult.

German is tougher at the start and gets easier once you understand the grammar and articles, propositions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

you could do like me, a11 sept-jan, a12 jan-may, a21 intensive 6 weeks during summer... then i took a break, but it would then have been a22 sept-jan. bam, b1 level in a year and a bit
    they do tailor one-one courses/lessons as well afaik

we're a month into the latest course though but maybe they'd be flexible for single person grinds

bluewolf wrote: »
    a21 intensive 6 weeks during summer

What's it like in terms of difficulty? I'm considering it once my A1.2 is finished but since it will be just after my college exams I'm not sure if it's worth the stress

Sykk wrote: »
    What's it like in terms of difficulty? I'm considering it once my A1.2 is finished but since it will be just after my college exams I'm not sure if it's worth the stress

i found it not very intensive at all tbh
    sure it was time-intensive, but we went pretty slowly
    though there were some people in the class who just would not grasp the whole "wenn" construction so we wasted about 2 full classes on it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

I see the next course with the Goeth Institute doesnt start until June.
    Would anyone know of any courses starting up soon, or even any intensive courses over the Easter break?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭The Kurgan

Bluewolf, Sykk..

Like Sykk my Gf is German but we're staying put in Ireland as far as she let me know !!:)
    Anyhow I did German for the leaving which is just over 16 years ago..! so the majority of that has idsappeard into a void but every now & then I remember a few words...

I've done a 8 week course which was only 1 night a week for 1 1/2 hours and just going over the basics again .... hello , personal info and the like..

I'm really learning german just for the conversational side and not for work purposes , frustartes me when I'm away or she has friends over that I can't converse..

ideally i'd like to do something like Bluewolf and do soem of them back 2 back ..

Bluewolf/Skk how have you found the courses so far ??Thinking of staring @a1.2.. would you have a rough price on how much the courses cost an duration, ??

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭The Kurgan

Sorry should have checked this earlier ...

http://www.goethe.de/ins/ie/dub/lrn/enindex.htm

semi -intesive three nights a week might be the one for me, the one class a week just wasn't enough fo rme and very very laid back ..

I'm finding it's great. Wednesday night every week - I've got the exams coming up soon. I think each term is around €470, but if you consider it's around 45 hours worth of classes it's not all that bad.

I know for me, without it, I wouldn't be able to listen to CDs and read books with the same effectiveness so I'll continue to pay for it as long as I'm in the country :)

You should drop into them or call them up and try to get an estimate of what level would suit you best. A1.2 sounds about right if you already have the basics.

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

Does anyone know day time classes in the city centre? Vielen dank.

I love the courses. Just finishing a2.2 this month. I was pondering whether to do the summer "intensive" one again and I think I will. I'll just hope there's no idiots this time :rolleyes:
    I'll be on B1.1, yay :D

it's 470 for them but hour-by-hour that actually works out a lot cheaper than any of the other courses I found when I was researching

I'm not bothering with the exams since I'm going up the levels anyway, but I got 90% on the mock exam there last week so it's all good :cool:

If you are not a beginner they will get you to sit a placement test free of charge before you start, so that they can place you best
    I don't know anything much about it since I was a beginner and therefore didn't do it, but I've heard the others talking about it

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭theroomisonfire

Can anyone recommend a good course in Dublin city centre as an alternative to the Goethe institute?

bluewolf wrote: »
    I love the courses. Just finishing a2.2 this month. I was pondering whether to do the summer "intensive" one again and I think I will. I'll just hope there's no idiots this time :rolleyes:
    I'll be on B1.1, yay :D

it's 470 for them but hour-by-hour that actually works out a lot cheaper than any of the other courses I found when I was researching

I'm not bothering with the exams since I'm going up the levels anyway, but I got 90% on the mock exam there last week so it's all good :cool:

If you are not a beginner they will get you to sit a placement test free of charge before you start, so that they can place you best
    I don't know anything much about it since I was a beginner and therefore didn't do it, but I've heard the others talking about it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

http://www.sandfordlanguages.ie/

Anyone done german in this college? They have classes in Milltown and Westmoreland Street in Co. Dublin.

Advertisement