Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fracking in Mayo

Options
  • 17-02-2012 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭

I was amazed to hear that Castlebar council have decided not to ban Hydraulic fracking.
    This controversial mining method has been banned in many countries and had been stopped in several U.S. states.
    Further information on Fracking can be found here;
    http://frackingfreeireland.org/what-is-fracking/

Hydraulic fracking has been banned in Leitrim, Sligo, Roscommon and Clare. Castlebar is the first council not to ban it.

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Is gas drilling likely to take place within the Castlebar town boundaries?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I was amazed to hear that Castlebar council have decided not to ban Hydraulic fracking.
    This controversial mining method has been banned in many countries and had been stopped in several U.S. states.
    Further information on Fracking can be found here;
    http://frackingfreeireland.org/what-is-fracking/

Hydraulic fracking has been banned in Leitrim, Sligo, Roscommon and Clare. Castlebar is the first council not to ban it.

you confusing castlebat town council with mayo county council.

to be honest i cant see mayo co co allowing fracking anyway, it didnt even allow gold mining on croach patrick :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

irishgeo wrote: »

to be honest i cant see mayo co co allowing fracking anyway, it didnt even allow gold mining on croach patrick :D

No, I don't think there is confusion. I heard during the week that a certain Town Councillor was going to propose to Castlebar Town Council that the council would seek for fracking to be banned NATIONALLY.

It would pay them better to concentrate on what is within their remit rather than sticking their nose into things that are no concern of theirs at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

irishgeo wrote: »

I thought it was the department that refused the prospecting/mining license, probably due to the deluge of submissions they got rejecting the idea. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Re Gold on Croagh Patrick - known about from ancient times.

As Oldtree says it was the Government who stated they would not allow any mining thereon.

The Councillors later passed a resolution banning gold mining in that general area between Clew Bay and Killary, Glencar went to High Court. They had been prospecting with some hopeful indications in Cregganbaun area about 8 miles south of Croagh Patrick - held ban contrary to law but a claim for damages by Glencar against Co Co defeated,

• Advertisement
Advertisement