Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

traffic now?

Options
  • 17-02-2012 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

Traffic is mental on bothar na treabh. Anyone know why?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Pedestrian, cyclist or motorist?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Fridays are always bad, but there's a big funeral on in town also.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Goofy

Thanks. It has taken me over 40 mins to go from ballybrit industrial estate to within sight the headford road! this is no Friday traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Funeral of Chick Deacy took place in Bohermore about an hour ago so traffic would be because of this.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I thought it might be the funeral. Never seen it as bad.

• Advertisement

:D How long are you living in galway?

Im only coming up to the bodkin roundabout now!!!

Are you in control of a vehickle and using your phone/laptop at the same time :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Still backed up to the morris RAB now .... back streets of Mervue clear though :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Guys the funeral was over at around 1pm this is just mental and to blame it on a funeral is not on, there is no traffic management in this City its a disgrace, traffic is blocked now into and out of Galway. Where are the Gardai at times like this, if the were out at the roundabouts and traffic lights it would not happen

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    Are you in control of a vehickle and using your phone/laptop at the same time :eek:
    Seeing as it took me 1.5 hours to go less than 4kms, i think i was safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭orangebud

Goofy wrote: »
    Seeing as it took me 1.5 hours to go less than 4kms, i think i was safe.

took me 10 minutes on bike

The funeral is only a small reason and I think it was at St Augustine Church earlier.
    Nuns Island is closed to traffic all day, therefore west-bound traffic is backing up University Road, causing traffic to back out to Terryland. There are other small roadworks around as well.
    The new bridge has been clear all day and was as of 3pm :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

If only there was some way to pass by all the traffic through an outer part of Galway. :/

Still at least the bog cotton is safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Indeed Doc Ruby, as well as the integrity of the limestone landscape - i.e no holes allowed in it for bridge pylons thus Claregalway bypass prevented.

Most of the area from Galway up to Ballinrobe is limstone, but never mind

There's a traffic crash at the Shopping Centre roundabout as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

took me two hours to get from ballybrit to knocknacarra nightmare.

takes the fun out of getting off early on a friday :(

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stevo11

Wish I'd read this earlier... In the thick of it now ... Ugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Ah that's just about my route... I think I might hang in to work for a while and actually do something with my time.

I've never taken that long (except maybe during the races). By the way I can recommend the (free) Inrix smartphone app for live traffic, it's got good traffic coverage of Galway, it shows a lot more roads than Google Maps's traffic service.

takes the fun out of getting off early on a friday :(
    Google suggests you should have been able to do a full lap of Lough Corrib in the same time (ie Ballybrit to Knocknacarra via Cong)

• Advertisement

I was travelling east, its bumper to bumper going west from ballybrit to (at least) westside

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Is it still as bad does anyone know?
    I'll be coming from Ballybrit and heading towards Rahoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

still absolutely shocking apparently. Girlfriends father stuck on Tuam road for 40 mins, and he has yet to experience Westside, I have no doubt it's brutal too!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Its still bad - just in the door now, 45 mins longer than usual :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

city centre was still very congested at 7pm. There was a road accident in Terryland and Nuns Island was closed for roadworks. Radio reports of terrible traffic in galway all evening and heard horror stories of people spending an hour/hour and a half to get into town for renmore/doughiska.

Most schools were off today too so town was very busy all day with families in shopping

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Should be grand now though:D

The Q bridge bumper to bumper again going wesht

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I see from today's Indo that Minister O'Reilly had to abandon his car near the Menlo Park hotel last Friday, and walk to the hospital for a meeting.
    HEALTH Minister Dr James Reilly had to abandon his car and walk for half-an-hour in the rain through traffic to reach a meeting with hospital bosses in Galway last Friday evening.
    Dr Reilly was two hours late for the meeting and had to cancel another meeting to discuss funding with Galway Hospice.
    A minor accident and roadworks were blamed for the heavy traffic, but former Mayor of Galway, Councillor Padraig Conneely, said such traffic delays were now becoming the norm.
    "It is unfortunate that the minister was caught in the delay but now he knows what we have to endure in Galway on a daily basis," said the Fine Gael councillor.
    "We need to build an outer bypass," he added.
    Dr Reilly got out of his car near the Menlo Park Hotel and walked about a mile to University Hospital Galway.
    It was raining at the time and it took the minister about half-an-hour to reach the hospital, where he was meeting the new CEO Bill Maher.
    "The meeting was scheduled for 4pm, but it was nearer to 6pm when he got there," said Mr Conneely.
    A planned meeting with officials from Galway Hospice later that evening had to be cancelled.

That should read:
    Minister for Health sets an example of responsible travel - good for your wallet, good for your health.

He did not have to leave the car, he chose to do so :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Touché. Yes. That's a very good point. The meeting with Galway Hospice officials can't have been that urgent either if it was cancelled because he was running late. My car broke down last year and now I walk and thumb everywhere, it's the only way to go now lads.

Advertisement