Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

traffic now?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I thought the Minister usually travelled in the co-pilots seat of the Millenium Falcon?

It can do Parkmore to Eyre Square in less than 12 parsecs, faster than a proselytising cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Christ on a bike, I was in Mumbai a couple of weeks ago and Galway traffic makes it look free flowing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Nok1a

snubbleste wrote: »
    That should read:
    Minister for Health sets an example of responsible travel - good for your wallet, good for your health.

He did not have to leave the car, he chose to do so :cool:

you are dead right, lets ban all ministers from using any form of motorised transport, then we can hire extra staff to do the work that they should have done but couldnt because they didnt have time in between skipping from meeting to meeting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Nok1a wrote: »
    you are dead right, lets ban all ministers from using any form of motorised transport, then we can hire extra staff to do the work that they should have done but couldnt because they didnt have time in between skipping from meeting to meeting.

That's what teleconferencing is for.. there is a rumour that broadband has reached the west :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Robbo wrote: »
    I thought the Minister usually travelled in the co-pilots seat of the Millenium Falcon?

It can do Parkmore to Eyre Square in less than 12 parsecs, faster than a proselytising cyclist.

We'll have to get some signs put up on the traffic lights advertising this so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭swine

It doesn't matter, if it's not powered by your sweat, tears and sense of self-righteousness, it's just unacceptable on here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Ah that's not true swine.
    Motorists are equally as loved as all of god's creatures. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

dilallio wrote: »
    I see from today's Indo that Minister O'Reilly had to abandon his car near the Menlo Park hotel last Friday, and walk to the hospital for a meeting.

That will be seized on by those Waiting for Godot GCOB, I have no doubt.

Good for the Minister, though: the walk will do him good, and he's leading by example (as is Enda Kenny, who has walked to work at least once since becoming Taoiseach).

That's what teleconferencing is for.. there is a rumour that broadband has reached the west :cool:

so tell me this, why do executives from all of the most successful companies in the world travel so much when they could just "teleconference"?:cool:

Robbo wrote: »

A parsec is actually a unit of distance in astronomy: 3.26 Light Years, or 3.086x10^13 km.

Perhaps you need to watch a more erudite class of movie. ;)

• Advertisement

Ah that's not true swine.
    Motorists are equally as loved as all of god's creatures. :)

If god didn't want us to drive everywhere all the time, she wouldn't have given us so much carbon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

i dont know of any church in Galway that has that facility

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    A parsec is actually a unit of distance in astronomy: 3.26 Light Years, or 3.086x10^13 km.

Hmm but probably the Millenium falcon would still be faster than a bicycle over that distance - unless it was a Jedi bicycle!

Iwannahurl wrote: »

And the reference in question is in relation to cutting it uncomfortably close to a black hole cluster, so time does come into it due to the distortion of space time near the event horizon.

It's a bit like saying "I almost managed to do a straight line between <insert ant two arbitrary points in Galway city with more than 100m distance between them> while using the roads".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

so tell me this, why do executives from all of the most successful companies in the world travel so much when they could just "teleconference"?:cool:

Executives enjoy great perks and expenses when travelling and tend to be part of the decision making process for whether or not they should travel to the site or not....that's what I'd say anyway

I have to travel sometimes for work but it's usually a first time meeting over a few days to hammer out processes and standards, to form a working relationship. Any other meeting after that would be done through conferencing via web and phone. It works fine. These people should be familiar with each other and most likely hold a yearly or twice yearly meeting to discuss things at length.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Executives enjoy great perks and expenses when travelling and tend to be part of the decision making process for whether or not they should travel to the site or not....that's what I'd say anyway

I have to travel sometimes for work but it's usually a first time meeting over a few days to hammer out processes and standards, to form a working relationship. Any other meeting after that would be done through conferencing via web and phone. It works fine. These people should be familiar with each other and most likely hold a yearly or twice yearly meeting to discuss things at length.

My point is that even efficent lean companies have staff who have to travel, not everything can be done via teleconference like was suggested.

Misters have to travel its part of their job and its not just an irish thing either, they need to talk to people on the ground see what impact their decisions are going to have. How do we not know that this wasnt one of the yearly / twice yearly meetings that you have?

There are things that you just can't do effectively over teleconference or webconference e.g. eyeballing somebody to make sure they're up to the job, which would be a large part of the reason for somebody like Reilly traveling. You'd be amazed how important being seen to be taking notes is while you're talking to somebody. There's a level of interaction that just does not happen with teletech.

Even for large technology companies that have massive worldwide internal networks actually going to sites to meet the people you work with is important, from the personal and cultural points of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

antoobrien wrote: »
    There are things that you just can't do effectively over teleconference or webconference e.g. eyeballing somebody to make sure they're up to the job, which would be a large part of the reason for somebody like Reilly traveling. You'd be amazed how important being seen to be taking notes is while you're talking to somebody. There's a level of interaction that just does not happen with teletech.

Even for large technology companies that have massive worldwide internal networks actually going to sites to meet the people you work with is important, from the personal and cultural points of view.

Very well could be. It's also just as likely to be something that could be done via a teleconference though. I assume We'll never know.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

antoobrien wrote: »
    And the reference in question is in relation to cutting it uncomfortably close to a black hole cluster, so time does come into it due to the distortion of space time near the event horizon.

It's a bit like saying "I almost managed to do a straight line between <insert ant two arbitrary points in Galway city with more than 100m distance between them> while using the roads".
    That and Lucas ****ing loves retcon in these circumstances.

Very well could be. It's also just as likely to be something that could be done via a teleconference though. I assume We'll never know.

Given the amount of time I spend talking on the phone, emails & instant chat with people in the USA, UK, India & other locations and measuring it against what one actually gets from trips & face to face meetings I don't doubt for a second that a face to face meeting could be necessary.

• Advertisement
Advertisement