Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DITSU Elections 2012

Options
  • 17-02-2012 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭

The nominations are in!

Candidate for President:
    David Keogan

Candidates for VP Academic & student Affairs:
    Seóna Dunne
    Glenn Fitzpatrick
    Christopher Morley

Candidates for VP Services & Trading
    Anthony Handibode
    William Meara

Candidates for Convenor:

AST - Eleanor Walsh
    BST - Graham Higginbotham
    CBST - Ian Monks
    CBST - Stephen Power
    KST - David Rice
    MSQ - Katie White
    RATH - Raymond England

Hustings: (1-2pm)

Sabbaticals

Weds 22nd Feb - Rathmines
    Thurs 23rd Feb - Cathal Brugha Street
    Mon 27th Feb - Aungier Street
    Tues 28th Feb - Kevin Street
    Weds 29th Feb - Mountjoy Square
    Thurs 1st Mar - Bolton Street

Convenors

Weds 22nd Feb - Mountjoy Square
    Thurs 23rd Feb - Aungier Street
    Mon 27th Feb - Rathmines
    Tues 28th Feb - Bolton Street
    Weds 29th Feb - Kevin Street
    Thurs 1st Mar - Cathal Brugha Street

Presidential Debates: TBC (Week of 27th February 2012)

Election Dates:

Tuesday 13th and Wednesday 14th March 2012

Election Times:

Aungier Street 8.30am to 8:30pm
    Bolton Street 8:30am to 8:30pm
    Cathal Brugha Street 8:30am to 8:30pm
    Kevin Street 8:30am to 8:30pm
    Mountjoy Square 8:30am to 8:30pm
    Rathmines 9:00am to 5:00pm

Election Count: Thursday, 15th March 2012 – Count starts at 11am. Venue TBC (More than likely Bolton Street!)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Read my mind! Had just planned on making a thread like this!

Any discussion about the election can go here, and if any one point stands out we'll open a new thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dwaegon

UCD forum has a 'Declare your allegiances' sticky...not sure why, but might be worth looking into?

Dwaegon wrote: »
    UCD forum has a 'Declare your allegiances' sticky...not sure why, but might be worth looking into?
    Thanks for that. I think we'll see how things pan out first before doing it over here - I don't think there was a need for one last year, but I wasn't a Mod then so can't be sure.

If we do get a load of X is awesome posts from new users we'll look into arranging something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

May as well go first :)

Most of you know me as Voltwad. I would like to think that I've contributed positively to the DIT Forum over the past while! My real name is Glenn Fitzpatrick and I have been working as the Class Rep Convenor for Aungier St. this year. It's been the best job I've ever had and I'd really love the chance to work for DIT students across all sites. I've put myself forward for Vice President of Academic & Student Affairs. This role is directly responsible for the safeguarding of the education and welfare of DIT students and it's a role that I believe that I am the best person for.

I won't waste space and copy and paste what's on my info pages. My aims & objectives, biography and everything else are all available from www.glennfitz.com and www.facebook.com/giveglenn1

As you can see from above, hustings take place from next week. I would be happy to answer any questions that anyone has in the meantime :)

2j4bs4w.jpg

Here's my interview with DITSU.ie - http://ditsu.ie/su-elections-vp

Worth a read! Hope to see some of you in Rathmines tomorrow or Cathal Brugha St. on Thursday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Wow it seems like theres not much competition this year.Last year there seemed to be more people campaigning.

Go Glenn! (I made this one! NSFW subtitles)

Lack of discussion here is quite disappointing, especially considering one of the candidates is on the forum!

I'm gonna sticky this for a while and see if that stimulates conversation a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Tbh being a first year this year, admittedly I haven't gotten overly involved in much extra stuff this year but to be honest, I don't know a whole lot about the SU in DIT. I know when I was in UCD you were constantly hearing about it, candidates would address classes, talk to students in the corridors, etc. but I haven't really noticed any of that in DIT.

Maybe it's the fact that the campuses are spread out but I dunno. I don't even really know what all the jobs do in the SU!

Do the people who aren't contested even need votes to get in?
    Like is their a minamum amount or anything?

• Advertisement

Do the people who aren't contested even need votes to get in?
    Like is their a minamum amount or anything?

No exactly a minimum, but on the ballot paper there will be two options.

Candidate A [ ]

RON [ ]

RON means Re Open Nominations. If RON wins, then nominations are reopened (strangely enough) and the process begins again for that position.

Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    Tbh being a first year this year, admittedly I haven't gotten overly involved in much extra stuff this year but to be honest, I don't know a whole lot about the SU in DIT. I know when I was in UCD you were constantly hearing about it, candidates would address classes, talk to students in the corridors, etc. but I haven't really noticed any of that in DIT.

Maybe it's the fact that the campuses are spread out but I dunno. I don't even really know what all the jobs do in the SU!

The job titles are a bit jargon ridden. Services and Trading is essentially Events and Facilities, Academic and Student Affairs is Education and Welfare. There have been hustings on every sight now bar Aungier St. which is at 1pm today. Turnout and engagement hasn't been great but I find getting into classes and addressing students is much more effective.

No exactly a minimum, but on the ballot paper there will be two options.

Candidate A [ ]

RON [ ]

RON means Re Open Nominations. If RON wins, then nominations are reopened (strangely enough) and the process begins again for that position.

But also the person that lost to RON cannot run again for the same term!

It's also worth noting that people will be voting on a referendum to amend the constitution. Make sure to keep an eye out for these pamphlets over the next week or so. I'm advocating a YES vote to this as I feel that it will take DITSU into the 21st Century and allow it to match the changing nature of DIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭goreyguy

DIT students union is an utter waste of time and money.. that is all

goreyguy wrote: »
    DIT students union is an utter waste of time and money.. that is all

Goreyguy, if you have nothing constructive to add, then please don't bother posting. There's no point in posts like that. I have no issues if you want to explain and argue your point, but posts like that add nothing to a thread.

Pigwidgeon

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭goreyguy

as a dit student, i see little point to the union..

if you could point out what the union has achieved this year, i'd be grateful.

of course you could just ban me for being critical of an organization that i am a member of

I never said I would ban you for being critical, I asked you to expand on your argument, statements like "DITSU are an utter waste of time and money. That is all." do not add to a conversation. I won't be discussing this further on thread, if you have any issues, PM me.

goreyguy wrote: »
    if you could point out what the union has achieved this year, i'd be grateful.

Where shall we start?
    Well, let's start with what is probably the most important bit! The individual casework that goes down when something in a students life hits the fan! Be it missing an exam, being screwed by a landlord, or information on assignments and lecturing standards, the students union is the go-to source of information to help you survive college!

It's the mindset of a lot of students to look down on the union until they need it!

Trust me, if you've ever had a serious problem in college you needed sorted and you went to the SU for help, you'd have a completely different mindset!

It's fine to have a negative opinion of something, but at least give us some indication that you've put any thought into what your comment is about!

I know it's off topic, and I shouldn't feed the trolls...but what's WRONG with the SU from your point of view?

I remember there was talk saying that the Auinger St. su was going to be revamped,any idea when that's going to happen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

A vote for RON in the presidential election is a vote for a fair and democratic presidential election

I remember there was talk saying that the Auinger St. su was going to be revamped,any idea when that's going to happen?

I've heard something similar, but I have no details. Perhaps someone wlse can shed some light on it. Looks like a bus station at the mo tbh.
    darragh16 wrote: »
    A vote for RON in the presidential election is a vote for a fair and democratic presidential election

Well the opportunity for others to run was there but no one went for it. If you have no issues with the candidate that is running voting against him for the sake of it would be a bit counter productive IMO

I've heard something similar, but I have no details. Perhaps someone wlse can shed some light on it. Looks like a bus station at the mo tbh.

If they're going to move the pool tables they probably shouldn't have put them that close to the tables.I got a pool cue to the head recently enough.Thankfully not to the face but to be fair it wouldn't make a big difference!:P

darragh16 wrote: »

Hey! I know you! Aren't you the guy who said he was going to run, then didn't bother his arse. Oh, and even better, when the nominations came out, you made this comment
    "Had I know Keogan was getting a free run, then I would have actually bothered. This is a great shame"

You know what? In the INCREDIBLY unlikely event that there is a RON vote in the presidential election, I will run. That way if you 'bother' this time, I can mop the floor with you, and throw it in your face!

Unfortunately, that probably won't happen, so I'll attempt to add to the debate by asking you what in particular is so terrible about Keogan?

This was meant to happen over the Xmas break but it's been pushed back to the summer. As far as I'm aware, this goes for the KST gym refurbishment as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

What way does the SU in DIT work? Like is it in one campus or are they in different ones during the week or..?

What way does the SU in DIT work? Like is it in one campus or are they in different ones during the week or..?
    Most sites have an SU office and the 6 main sites all have a part time Convenor who acts as a middle man between the onsite people/issues and the 3 full time sabbaticals. Plenty of info over at www.ditsu.ie if you want to see more about the roles of the various positions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 AnneDIT

http://www.ditsu.ie/cms-filesystem-action/docuploads/governing_council/2011-2012/governing_council_1/draft%20budget%20estimate%2013oct11.pdf

Hi,

I have sat on governing council for 2 years now and was an observer for the year before that. This is the budget for the DITSU and for the staff that work their! €1,196,750.00 for what??? OMG is all I will say for what these people get paid and for what they do?? its not worth it at all! No events, no nothing as far as I have seen this last year or so. Disband the Union, as it’s not a Students Union. I am finished in DIT this year and wouldn’t recommend anything to do with the students union. DT366 is my class and we have had a great time in DIT but not one thing to do with the students union! The president this last two years has done nothing! Now he is running for USI???

Two weeks ago I went down to Aungier st Students Union and asked the girl at the desk if she would be able to help me, with an issue I was having. By the time she stopped talking to everyone else in her social circle, in the office I just left, it was only 11.45am! couldnt have been her break! I was too shy to ask in front of everyone there. They seem to just sit on the office and talk all day as I went down later and it was the same. So don’t pay you €5 or whatever it is to the students union. Give it to the Societies office and save the staff their at least they do something, rather than the SU, (Staff Union).

Vote RON on the Presidents one as this guy doesn’t deserve to get in for what he hasn’t done this last year! I have seen it in council and its sad to say but he won’t change the SU! The staff run the union!

AnneDIT wrote: »
    I have sat on governing council for 2 years now and was an observer for the year before that. This is the budget for the DITSU and for the staff that work their! €1,196,750.00 for what??? OMG is all I will say for what these people get paid and for what they do?? its not worth it at all! No events, no nothing as far as I have seen this last year or so. Disband the Union, as it’s not a Students Union. I am finished in DIT this year and wouldn’t recommend anything to do with the students union. DT366 is my class and we have had a great time in DIT but not one thing to do with the students union! The president this last two years has done nothing! Now he is running for USI???

Anne, as a former officer that has worked with that president, and as a current governing councillor, I will completely disagree with you there! The role and duties of president are hazy purely because of the large scope of things that role actually entails. The fact is, just because he doesn't put on events or campaigns means he often has very little to take credit for the work that is done behind the scenes.

Personally, I am delighted that the current president is running for USI, as it will give DIT a stronger voice on a national scale. He has been a fantastic leader these past two years, and I wish him all the luck in the world!

For a second here, let's turn the spotlight back to you!
    You say you've been a governing councillor for two years...in the last two years I have missed a grand total of two meetings. By now you've probably guessed who I am, but I honestly have no idea who you are.

This leads me to believe that while you bìtch and moan here, you aren't raising these issues at GC meetings, where your opinion actually matters! And in that case, I believe you should resign your seat. It's your duty as a councillor to bring these grieviences to the fore, and by not doing this, you are letting down the students you represent.

Every meeting this year, when something that is wrong in my eyes has been brought up, I stand up and say what I think about it.
    Do the same, or give up your seat to someone who actually gives a damn!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Dublin_Bud

AnneDIT wrote: »
    http://www.ditsu.ie/cms-filesystem-action/docuploads/governing_council/2011-2012/governing_council_1/draft%20budget%20estimate%2013oct11.pdf

Hi,

Two weeks ago I went down to Aungier st Students Union and asked the girl at the desk if she would be able to help me, with an issue I was having. By the time she stopped talking to everyone else in her social circle, in the office I just left, it was only 11.45am! couldnt have been her break! I was too shy to ask in front of everyone there. They seem to just sit on the office and talk all day as I went down later and it was the same. So don’t pay you €5 or whatever it is to the students union. Give it to the Societies office and save the staff their at least they do something, rather than the SU, (Staff Union).

Vote RON on the Presidents one as this guy doesn’t deserve to get in for what he hasn’t done this last year! I have seen it in council and its sad to say but he won’t change the SU! The staff run the union!

To echo what the previous poster stated, are you sure you've been at GC?? I've sat on it for the last 2 1/2 years, and if you were that pissed off with the union you sure as hell didn't speak up, which is kinda what GC's for...

Also, when did you pay €5 to be part of the union, cos I didn't - it comes from the Reg fee. Looks like someone swindled €5 out of you.

Advertisement