Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

return of faulty goods query

Options
  • 17-02-2012 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭

i got an achos10i on 31/12/2011, on the 7/1/12 i flew to the canareys, at the airport i checked my mail,, i watched a movie on it on the plane, when i got to my apartment the language had changed to german, i could not use it due to the fact that the screen would not scyronise properly, then it would freeze, i took it back to the retail outlet today, to be told that it had nothing to do with them, but the supplier would collect it from my house at some future date, then they would decide what action if any would be taken, is this the correct procedure ?, your help is appreciated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

The seller is incorrect. Your contract under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 is with the outfit that sold you the device, assuming this was not a private sale.

Refer to http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/ for definitive information and steps to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The seller is who you have a contract with and they should work with you. It might need to go to the manufacturer for assessment, but the shop should be the ones to arrange that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

dudara wrote: »
    The seller is who you have a contract with and they should work with you. It might need to go to the manufacturer for assessment, but the shop should be the ones to arrange that for you.
    I quibble with the last two words, partly for precision, but mainly to emphasise the line of responsibility. The shop don't arrange returning goods to the manufacturer for the customer; it's something that may happen in the background as a matter between the retailer and his/her supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

mathepac wrote: »
    The seller is incorrect. Your contract under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 is with the outfit that sold you the device, assuming this was not a private sale.

Refer to http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/ for definitive information and steps to take.

i tried to argue that point with them, as they told me that i had a 12 month warranty with the item, what i am finding it hard to figure out is that it has to be collected from my house.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

flutered wrote: »
    i tried to argue that point with them, as they told me that i had a 12 month warranty with the item, what i am finding it hard to figure out is that it has to be collected from my house.
    That is incorrect. A warranty is as well as your rights under law as a consumer; a warranty doesn't replace your legal rights, it may be an addition to them but cannot diminish or replace them.

You leave it back to them (get a receipt) and the link I meant to give you is this one dealing with your rights :-

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement