Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Impact of neighbour moving an ESB pole

Options
  • 17-02-2012 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi all,

Our (new) neighbour is planning to demolish his house and build a new one. The ESB pole will need to be moved for his new side entrance. Currently, the ESB connection to our house comes from the pole to the gable of his house, then across to our house. The wire runs along the eaves of our house and then comes down along a porch and in the door. The new pole will be further away from our house than it is now. (I know, a photo would help but I'm not at home.)

So, I'm just wondering what'll happen to our supply when the pole is moved. Will they just be able to run a line from the pole across the footpath to the existing connection? Or will they want to put the line underground, so they'd have to change ours?

I'd say it's not going to happen for a while, but I'm curious as to how they'll propose to resolve it. There's nothing in his plans about it and he's not living there so we haven't been able to ask him.

The existing set-up has been there since the early 60s.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

i would imagine that esbn will require a new pole either on your land or on the shared boundary with next door
    your neighbour can then duct the power supply into his house,and your supply can go overhead from this pole
    they may upgrade the system with new transformers and new poles when they are at it

if you install a duct for them to your own house and move your meter outside (at your own cost)when the alterations are being carried out,they may install an underground supply for no additional cost to you
    i would push for this when esbn make contact with you as you will make a considerable saving (if you request an alteration of service there is a cost involved)

hold your ground until esbn contact you though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

meercat wrote: »
    as you will make a considerable saving (if you request an alteration of service there is a cost involved)

hold your ground until esbn contact you though

2 things. There is no saving for the customer by going underground as things stand and you might want to be more clear on your comment that he would make a saving - it would only be IF he later wanted a service alteration.

Secondly, the OP should contact ESB Networks at the Customer Call Centre as soon as possible to see what they have in mind.

Oh, and it is highly unlikely that we would look for a secondary customer to the alteration to go underground at any cost to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

"Secondly, the OP should contact ESB Networks at the Customer Call Centre as soon as possible to see what they have in mind."

its not his job so why should he contact esbn
    i would have thought they would contact him to discuss arrangements

"Oh, and it is highly unlikely that we would look for a secondary customer to the alteration to go underground at any cost to themselves."

that was my point here
    if he installs the ducting i would expect esbn to reroute underground at no cost to him(thus making a saving if he had requested a reposition)

Hang on a minute. The OP was wondering what was going to happen (in effect I suspect his aerials will just be run from the relocated pole) and if he wants to know, then ask ESB Networks rather than throw it open to all kinds of speculation on Boards. They'll tell him no problem whatsoever. That's all, no big deal. If he had to do anything he would be contacted. If he is curious then just ask rather than wait for people to give misleading information

And he is not looking for a relocation, so why does his providing UG ducting come into it? Did you even read the OP? :rolleyes: Talk of him saving money is a complete red herring and nothing to do with the questions asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 AMW_01

When the idea was mooted before of moving the pole, there was some talk about putting cables underground (we're in a village). I'm just wondering if they'll connect it back up exactly as is (which is around the eaves of the house). It's his decision to move it - I'm hoping it'll have no effect on us. (But I'm afraid it will, one way or another.)

Personally, I have no interest in moving the meter.

• Advertisement

AMW_01 wrote: »
    When the idea was mooted before of moving the pole, there was some talk about putting cables underground (we're in a village). I'm just wondering if they'll connect it back up exactly as is (which is around the eaves of the house). It's his decision to move it - I'm hoping it'll have no effect on us. (But I'm afraid it will, one way or another.)

Personally, I have no interest in moving the meter.

Look just phone ESB Networks at 1850 373 757 and raise a query on it. They will only be troo willing to answer the question by contacting the local ESB Networks person looking after the job.

Talk of undergrounding the networks of a village and town is anopther matter all together..

Thanks - didn't know you could even do that!

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

Oh, and it is highly unlikely that we would look for a secondary customer to the alteration to go underground at any cost to themselves.

We?

Do you work for the ESB?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

AMW_01 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Our (new) neighbour is planning to demolish his house and build a new one. The ESB pole will need to be moved for his new side entrance. Currently, the ESB connection to our house comes from the pole to the gable of his house, then across to our house. The wire runs along the eaves of our house and then comes down along a porch and in the door. The new pole will be further away from our house than it is now. (I know, a photo would help but I'm not at home.)

So, I'm just wondering what'll happen to our supply when the pole is moved. Will they just be able to run a line from the pole across the footpath to the existing connection? Or will they want to put the line underground, so they'd have to change ours?

I'd say it's not going to happen for a while, but I'm curious as to how they'll propose to resolve it. There's nothing in his plans about it and he's not living there so we haven't been able to ask him.

The existing set-up has been there since the early 60s.

A photo of the situation would be helpful.

What if they want to put up a new pole in your garden? Wouldn't undergrounding at no cost to you be better then an ugly ESB pole?

Yes, a photo would have explained it exactly but I'm not at home, so no photo possible. The houses are along the road, no front gardens. The pole is out on the footpath, next the road. The line comes from the pole to the neighbours gable, then across their gateway to our gable. Our house is built on the boundary line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

Hang on a minute. The OP was wondering what was going to happen (in effect I suspect his aerials will just be run from the relocated pole) and if he wants to know, then ask ESB Networks rather than throw it open to all kinds of speculation on Boards. They'll tell him no problem whatsoever. That's all, no big deal. If he had to do anything he would be contacted. If he is curious then just ask rather than wait for people to give misleading information

And he is not looking for a relocation, so why does his providing UG ducting come into it? Did you even read the OP? :rolleyes: Talk of him saving money is a complete red herring and nothing to do with the questions asked.

even better
    why dont we just close the forum and put up 2 stickies

1. got an esbn question? ring esbn

2 .got an electrical question? ring an electrician

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I work for ESBN, and have no problem doing the former, whenever I can :)

Just seeing this now, so-to the OP, your supply will be accommodated accordingly, and should be left as it was, if not better. I gather from your later posts that the pole is on common ground, as opposed to on the boundary, or on either plot, and that the new one, albeit further away, will also be on the public path.

So, even though it wasn't put to you, and is no small undertaking anyway, should you decide to put your supply underground, you'd be looking at civil works to put a duct in, and works to the facade of your house to set in a meter box-which is something you didn't want to do in the first place!

To be fair, in some cases, it would suit people to follow suit when a relocation takes place next door, but this can often be clarified by having a chat with the neighbours first. Despite what you might think, the local office is always at the end of the line, if you need advice, following on from that, or otherwise.

Worth noting too, that aside from the standard relocation fee to ESBN, an electrician will have to be engaged to provide new wiring (tails) to the new meter, and possibly some follow on remedial work as well, to keep things up to spec, and above all, safe.

Anyway, if you still have doubts, give the local ESBN office a call (see the Networks website)-but otherwise, as it doesn't impinge on your own property, you should be fine. You will most likely end up with your own overhead supply to the existing gable if they have a clear run to it, with his going underground. If this is not the case, a photo will help in sizing it up.

Thanks RoundyMooney, you've answered my question! Appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Glad to hear it :)

Any more questions, let us know.

Advertisement