Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pond in plantation....

Options
  • 17-02-2012 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I Have in for permission/grant for several acres of plantation. Theres one soggy bottom of about 1-2 acres that are earmarked for spruce......
    Its the lowest point on about a 220 degree rushy basin and has scrub/bog behind it......
    I'm thinking of putting in a wildlife/wildfowl pond in the lowest point wich is waterlogged/pooly during the winter months -thinking of Approx 80ft x 50ft.

What are the implications of this if any with regard to the plantation?
    How far back should i leave the trees from the edge of the pond?
    Will the trees surrounding eventually dry up the whole area and leave me with mud?
    I might lead 1 or 2 of the shore drains into it to keep it topped up...?

I will probably just leave this area out when it comes to planting and wait until the mgt company have completed their planting before starting to dig.

what would ye sugest...

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I think you are allowed have up to 10% unplanted in forestry as biodiversity habitat area and the premium will be un affected.

Do you want to dig this out or just leave it as it is? If there is too much cover around it duck are unlikely to be attracted to it.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Plan on digging it out, maybe 2 ft deep for 3-4 feet around the edges tapering off to a 4 ft bottom, where would i get the info or definition on the 10% diversion for habitat?... cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭greenfingers89

blue5000 wrote: »
    I think you are allowed have up to 10% unplanted in forestry as biodiversity habitat area and the premium will be un affected.

biodiversity of 15% is required not 10. biodiversity areas should be deemed plantable areas therefore ponds should not be eligible as biodiversity areas and so should be taken out of the payment area

crack crack you should be consulting your forester about this issue, without seeing the ground or the application i dont think anyones advice about how your application will be effected should be taken too seriously here

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

OOps sorry if I'm giving wrong advice, have it in mine, but I planted 8 yrs ago, goalposts must have moved since. What greenfingers said about asking your forester is good advice, they should know.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Advertisement