Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another "recommend me a new graphics card" question

Options
  • 17-02-2012 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    Ive got a couple of hundred euro burning a hole in my pocket (max of maybe 250 euros to spend), and im thinking of upgrading my gfx card. If i could, id do a brand new build, but sadly thats out of the question (wedding coming up).

Current specs:

Seasonic 600w PSU
    Asus IP35 pro mobo
    8GB ram
    Quad core intel
    ATI HD4870 1GB

The 4870 does a fine job, but i could do with some extra FPS in a few games like call of pripyat etc. I game at 1680x1050 (monitors max res). Ideally id like to go nvidia as ive a pain i nmy ass with ATI. This 4870 was the OC model, yet if you try and OC it it jsut flickers non stop, an issue that was never resolved in any driver release almost 2 years later.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

didnt you just post some videos of your build in gaming, on a 9800 GT?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Medu

Hey all,
    Ive got a couple of hundred euro burning a hole in my pocket (max of maybe 250 euros to spend), and im thinking of upgrading my gfx card. If i could, id do a brand new build, but sadly thats out of the question (wedding coming up).

Current specs:

Seasonic 600w PSU
    Asus IP35 pro mobo
    8GB ram
    Quad core intel
    ATI HD4870 1GB

The 4870 does a fine job, but i could do with some extra FPS in a few games like call of pripyat etc. I game at 1680x1050 (monitors max res). Ideally id like to go nvidia as ive a pain i nmy ass with ATI. This 4870 was the OC model, yet if you try and OC it it jsut flickers non stop, an issue that was never resolved in any driver release almost 2 years later.
    Thanks!

Ah- another ATi driver's suck every though I don't really know what the hell I am doing post!

Usually(always?) an OC GPU is a GPU that has been ALREADY overclocked- not a GPU that is designed for overclocking. Top end GPU's often are bad overclocker's as they are already running close to the limit and an factory overclocked card will even be closer.

Nvidia 560Ti 1024MB would be a decent fit for what you want. If you plan on upgrading to 1080p+ before you get your next GFX card then thing about getting a AMD 6950 2048MB, or an Nvidia card with more than 1GB of on board RAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Medu wrote: »
    Ah- another ATi driver's suck every though I don't really know what the hell I am doing post!

Usually(always?) an OC GPU is a GPU that has been ALREADY overclocked- not a GPU that is designed for overclocking. Top end GPU's often are bad overclocker's as they are already running close to the limit and an factory overclocked card will even be closer.

Nvidia 560Ti 1024MB would be a decent fit for what you want. If you plan on upgrading to 1080p+ before you get your next GFX card then thing about getting a AMD 6950 2048MB, or an Nvidia card with more than 1GB of on board RAM.

Nope. Its at stock settings and is ready to be overclocked. But when you overclock it it causes screen flicker. Its a widely known issue that seems to affect the OC'ed 4870s. I might look into the 560ti tho, cheers.

Overheal, thats my cheap ass PC i built in work, i just game on that on my lunchbreaks haha. This is my dedicated home gaming PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Check out the 560ti "448" cores edition which is supposed to give
    equal performance to the 570GTX. Here's an example that is just over your budget, but you might be able to find one cheaper elsewhere:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-043-ZT&groupid=701&catid=1914&subcat=1341

Here's a review:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2011/11/29/zotac-geforce-gtx-560-ti-448-cores-review/8

Darwin wrote: »
    Check out the 560ti "448" cores edition which is supposed to give
    equal performance to the 570GTX. Here's an example that is just over your budget, but you might be able to find one cheaper elsewhere:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-043-ZT&groupid=701&catid=1914&subcat=1341

Here's a review:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2011/11/29/zotac-geforce-gtx-560-ti-448-cores-review/8

Great, thanks man. I think ive got a front runner with that :D

• Advertisement

went with the 560ti 2gb edition in the end.
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2011/01/27/msi-geforce-gtx-560-ti-1gb-review/1
    A bit overbudget, but hey this my last purchase for myself before i get married and can never afford anything ever again :D

Advertisement