Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Topaz, Arden, fuel prices!

• 17-02-2012 5:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

Why do their petrol prices fluctuate so frequently, in comparison to other garages in town?
    Everyday i drive past and the petrol prices are different, weirdly with a trend of the prices rising on a thursday and friday, and dropping back down over the weekend.
    I have literally seen the price go from 153.9 to 155.9 within hours, then perhaps back to 154.9 the next morning, only to rise to 157.9 on a Friday, and return to 155.0 on Saturday!
    What is going on?! Oil prices are not causing this, and the other garages in town dont do it, so whats up with Topaz?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Cherrycola wrote: »
    Why do their petrol prices fluctuate so frequently, in comparison to other garages in town?
    Everyday i drive past and the petrol prices are different, weirdly with a trend of the prices rising on a thursday and friday, and dropping back down over the weekend.
    I have literally seen the price go from 153.9 to 155.9 within hours, then perhaps back to 154.9 the next morning, only to rise to 157.9 on a Friday, and return to 155.0 on Saturday!
    What is going on?! Oil prices are not causing this, and the other garages in town dont do it, so whats up with Topaz?!

If your passing every day why don't you call in and ask the manager?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

IrishHomer wrote: »
    If your passing every day why don't you call in and ask the manager?

That would involve stopping!Duh! :rolleyes:

Maybe next time you're in you might ask for me, then come back here and post a useful answer! Boom! :p

That would involve stopping!Duh! :rolleyes:

Maybe next time you're in you might ask for me, then come back here and post a useful answer! Boom! :p

yes master i will to be sure specially for you i will stop and ask LOL

In case anyone is remotely interested, apart from IH of course, todays price in Topaz for petrol is a whopping 159.9, up from 157.9 yesterday.

In comparison, Mace on Daingean rd are 156.9 for petrol.

I know where i'll be buying mine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

It's a sad reflection on the way fuel prices have gone that we're happy to find a station charging 156.9 for a litre of petrol :(

• Advertisement

In case anyone is remotely interested, apart from IH of course, todays price in Topaz for petrol is a whopping 159.9, up from 157.9 yesterday.

In comparison, Mace on Daingean rd are 156.9 for petrol.

I know where i'll be buying mine!

I never said I was not interested in fuel prices, I said I was not interested in carryingoutyour requesting me to call to the Topaz garage on your behalf!

I never said I was not interested in fuel prices, I said I was not interested in carryingoutyour requesting me to call to the Topaz garage on your behalf!

I beg to differ, you actually volunteered to stop and ask the manager, if you re-read your post. :p

I beg to differ, you actually volunteered to stop and ask the manager, if you re-read your post. :p

I was being sarcastic now why would I do that when you pass it daily and you yourself are from the area?

Anyway just shop around for best value we have been advised by the AA to shop around for the past two decades,.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

ok well a work colleague of mine actually asked them a few months back why they change the price so often and they told him that the price they charge is based on the price of a barrell of oil at the time. it can go up on a daily basis. he told them to cop on and that they arent buying oil by the barrell and getting it delivered on a hourly basis. they just shrugged and said it was head office who set the price.

ok well a work colleague of mine actually asked them a few months back why they change the price so often and they told him that the price they charge is based on the price of a barrell of oil at the time. it can go up on a daily basis. he told them to cop on and that they arent buying oil by the barrell and getting it delivered on a hourly basis. they just shrugged and said it was head office who set the price.

I noticed in the past decade Topaz have formed a monopoly, 95% of all the stations such as Maxol, Jet, Texaco, Statoil, Burmah, BP are all now topaz. so there is very little competition in Ireland now and Topaz can charge what they like.

• Advertisement

I was being sarcastic now why would I do that when you pass it daily and you yourself are from the area?

Anyway just shop around for best value we have been advised by the AA to shop around for the past two decades,.

I think sarcasm is lost on you mate, i give up.

And the original question is not 'where can i buy the cheapest petrol in town' (im quite capable of shopping around, have been for years, and never buy in Topaz as it happens), but 'WHY do topaz prices change more frequently than other garages in town'
    And thanks to channelsurfer2, im closer to an actual answer to that question now!

And the original question is not 'where can i buy the cheapest petrol in town' (im quite capable of shopping around, have been for years, and never buy in Topaz as it happens), but 'WHY do topaz prices change more frequently than other garages in town'
    And thanks to channelsurfer2, im closer to an actual answer to that question now!

It would be much easier for you to call in and ask management, how long are you wondering here?

If you just want to point score against me constantly then I won,t discuss here as you seem to want to knock me every chance you can get,

I am entitled to voice my opinions without you constantly trying to run me down. My opinion was simple, why waste time wondering and writing why the garage alter their prices frequently when you could just stop and politely ask the manager their pricing policy instead of wasting yours and our time here?

I won't discuss with you anymore Cherrycola as you have a very bad attitude.

For the record, i saw the reply you posted on my other thread before it was deleted, which i received as an email notification, so if anyone is trying to point score and start something for no reason, then you need to look closer to home mate.

If you feel a thread is a waste of your time, then im perplexed as to why you insist on commenting on them, to say things like, Who gives a sh1te etc.
    If you dont have a valid response to the query then i suggest you use your time elsewhere, like in AH perhaps, where your nonsensical comments may well be appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I noticed in the past decade Topaz have formed a monopoly, 95% of all the stations such as Maxol, Jet, Texaco, Statoil, Burmah, BP are all now topaz. so there is very little competition in Ireland now and Topaz can charge what they like.

There are still plenty of Maxol and Texaco stations trading around the country. Topaz was the merger of Statoil and Shell. There hasn't been a Jet or BP station in Ireland in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

There are still plenty of Maxol and Texaco stations trading around the country. Topaz was the merger of Statoil and Shell. There hasn't been a Jet or BP station in Ireland in years.

More correctly, Topaz was the vehicle for acquisition of ex-Shell and Statoil chains of stations. Statoil pulled out of Ireland specifically because the Norwegian Prime Minister said that what was being foisted on the people of Sligo re #ShellToSea would nto be allowed happen to his fellow Norwegians. Therefore they could not partake in it. So they sold up in advance of serious flak. Topaz was the new brand name for the Boundary Capital vehicle that had both snapped up both chains and also offered the franchise out to old Shell & Stat franchisees. But yes, you're more or less correct.

161.9 today!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

99cent when i first started driving:(

darokane wrote: »

im afraid to click that link judgin by your avater:)

• Advertisement

Dusty87 wrote: »
    99cent when i first started driving:(

80PENCE-ish for me!! :eek:

I remember driving to that place in Moate at the time too cos they were the cheapest! Oh if we knew then.....:(

For the record, i saw the reply you posted on my other thread before it was deleted, which i received as an email notification, so if anyone is trying to point score and start something for no reason, then you need to look closer to home mate.

If you feel a thread is a waste of your time, then im perplexed as to why you insist on commenting on them, to say things like, Who gives a sh1te etc.
    If you dont have a valid response to the query then i suggest you use your time elsewhere, like in AH perhaps, where your nonsensical comments may well be appreciated.

The post I deleted just stated who gives a ****e about knowing who Some traveller's wife is from Tullamore, you being Nosey in my opinion, I am entitled to voice my opinion here you know?

Eh golden boy I just voiced my opinion that I should be allowed to do, you seem to think you dominate and own Offaly Boards, every day you ask daft questions and this is my opinion so now run me down once again why don't you.

80PENCE-ish for me!! :eek:

I remember driving to that place in Moate at the time too cos they were the cheapest! Oh if we knew then.....:(

Who is thread drifting now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

What the hell.....:mad: think I may have to retire my car and either walk or start cycling again:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 greatdepression

Your wasting your time asking anyone in a Topaz how they price fuel. They are all told to refer any queries to head office.

Also the prices are controlled by head office. all the staff do is press a button on the till when it tells them head office wants the price changing.

Your wasting your time asking anyone in a Topaz how they price fuel. They are all told to refer any queries to head office.

Also the prices are controlled by head office. all the staff do is press a button on the till when it tells them head office wants the price changing.

Good thing i didnt bother stopping and asking them, wasting my time. ;)

Thanks for that informative reply though. :)

163.9!! Flipping hell!! :eek::eek:

Seems like they are on target to hit this €2 a litre they are talking about by the end of the year! How is anyone going to be able to afford to drive if this carries on??!! Back in 2006/2007 petrol was about 116.9, so in 4 years there has been an increase of 50c, now they think we will have an increase of 40c in a matter of months, wtf like?!:eek:

Weirdly the trend im noticing now is that whenever any other garage in town price matches Topaz, they bump up the price! Esso near Lidl used to be one of the cheaper places, but they were 161.9 on Tues, Heffernans were 159.9, and then today Topaz hopped to 163.9.
    I dunno, its absolute madness, and a bit of an obsession for me now i might add! :p:D

163.9!! Flipping hell!! :eek::eek:

Seems like they are on target to hit this €2 a litre they are talking about by the end of the year! How is anyone going to be able to afford to drive if this carries on??!! Back in 2006/2007 petrol was about 116.9, so in 4 years there has been an increase of 50c, now they think we will have an increase of 40c in a matter of months, wtf like?!:eek:

Weirdly the trend im noticing now is that whenever any other garage in town price matches Topaz, they bump up the price! Esso near Lidl used to be one of the cheaper places, but they were 161.9 on Tues, Heffernans were 159.9, and then today Topaz hopped to 163.9.
    I dunno, its absolute madness, and a bit of an obsession for me now i might add! :p:D
    holy moley cherry thats crazy money for petrol :-( not impressed at all!

• Advertisement

offaly1 wrote: »
    holy moley cherry thats crazy money for petrol :-( not impressed at all!

Kitchen warrior wil have to let me drive bikes again now!!

Honest to god, i was only saying today that we will seriously have to stop using the car for the shorter journeys and start walking places again.

Im a divil for hopping into the car to drive a few hundred yards down the road to the shop. :o That is gonna have to stop. And the aimlessly driving around the town to go here and there, i may park somewhere central and walk to all the places i need to.
    Hopefully the added benefit will be that i'll lose a few lbs too!

Its like been back in the 80's when we hadnt a pot to piss in!:eek:

I meant motor bikes but a pushbike be even more economical:) few months ago a tenner would quater fill the car, not now. Thank god i dont still have me jeep, a tenner wouldn note the needle on that yoke.

Honest to god, i was only saying today that we will seriously have to stop using the car for the shorter journeys and start walking places again.

Im a divil for hopping into the car to drive a few hundred yards down the road to the shop. :o That is gonna have to stop. And the aimlessly driving around the town to go here and there, i may park somewhere central and walk to all the places i need to.
    Hopefully the added benefit will be that i'll lose a few lbs too!

Its like been back in the 80's when we hadnt a pot to piss in!:eek:
    Im with ya on the bike thing and the walking places! Im bout ten mins walk from supermacs say and i drive that distance to town! Not anymore;) little does my bike know but it is going to see the light of day really really soon ;)

Easily know its coming up to a bank holiday weekend, with lots of people stopping for fuel before they head home......a slight dip to 162.9 on tuesday, and now a large leap to 164.9 today! :eek::eek:

Anyone who wants a cheaper option, Tesco is 160.9, Mace on Daingean Rd is 161.9, as are Maunsells.

Topaz' fluctuations are just a joke now! :mad: But still the forecourt is always busy! Are people nuts?? Or just unwilling to drive a bit further for a better price?!

Topaz' fluctuations are just a joke now! :mad: But still the forecourt is always busy! Are people nuts?? Or just unwilling to drive a bit further for a better price?!

I have a Topaz fuel card with my company car, so not much option, probably others in the same boat.

• Advertisement

166.9!

I wonder how long before we hit 170.0! :mad:

166.9!

I wonder how long before we hit 170.0! :mad:

Saw that this evening! Crazy stuff!! Was coming home by kilbeggan this evening and topaz there is 163.9. Not worth driving over specially to fill up, but if you were driving past prob be worth it...

offaly1 wrote: »
    Saw that this evening! Crazy stuff!! Was coming home by kilbeggan this evening and topaz there is 163.9. Not worth driving over specially to fill up, but if you were driving past prob be worth it...

Topaz in Tallaght was 168.9 this afternoon, so its not the dearest one in the country yet.

Topaz in Tallaght was 168.9 this afternoon, so its not the dearest one in the country yet.

like the way you say "yet ";-)

Are oil prices fluctuating so much that these price increases are warranted though? I dont follow the ups and downs of the oil market, anyone know whats causing this rapid upward spiral?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

You can blame it on Iran

Advertisement