Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

• 17-02-2012 5:44pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭

This opened today. I could have swore there was an existing thread about it, but I can’t find it.

Anyway, the critics have taken a major disliking to it, but I thought it was really good. It has some excellent editing and directing and solid performances all round, especially from von Sydow. The young actor in the lead role is extremely good as well, but the character will probably be very divisive among audiences as he isn’t your usual cute little kid. It’s revealed in the film that he has been tested for Aspergers, though the results were inconclusive (thankfully the film doesn’t go any further with this). Some will find him grating, but I thought the character was bravely performed and directed.

Undoubtedly many will accuse the film of being overwrought, manipulative and contrived, but I think those criticisms are missing the point. This isn’t intended to be a realistic drama about one family’s experiences of 9/11, but rather an urban fairly tale that builds on the mythology of that tragic event to tell what is basically an optimistic story of grief and overcoming your fears. The whimsical quest at the core of the film’s plot borders on the fantastical and in that sense the film probably belongs in the same category as some of Eric Roth’s previous films, like Forrest Gump and Benjamin Button, which obviously weren’t to everyone’s taste. But Daldry’s distinctive direction lends the film an arthouse sensibility that prevents it from being a conventional Hollywood tearjerker.

Despite this, the film is unquestionably Oscar-bait and really has no business being nominated for Best Picture, not when there was far superior films like Tinker Tailor Solider Spy, We Need to Talk About Kevin, Martha Marcy May Marlene and Take Shelter released last year. However, I still think this was a good film and that much of the negative reaction to it in the US is due to the silly perception that the film is disrespecting 9/11.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I read the book some years ago, and TBH I barely remember a thing about it! Could say the same thing about most Stephen Daldry films - maybe moderately interesting at the time, but ultimately nothing remarkable.

Unfair to make up my mind about a film before I even see it, but the two reasons above and the film festival soon to suck up all my cinema time for the next ten days, this is far from the top of the list!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

However, I still think this was a good film and that much of the negative reaction to it in the US is due to the silly perception that the film is disrespecting 9/11.

I haven't seen it, but isn't it sort of disrespecting 9/11? Did it add to the story at all? Could they have not just killed the Dad in a car crash or something?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

WatchWolf wrote: »
    I haven't seen it, but isn't it sort of disrespecting 9/11? Did it add to the story at all? Could they have not just killed the Dad in a car crash or something?

In fairness, from the little I recall the story does at least try to engage with New York in the aftermath of 9/11. I think the main problem is that Americans are crazy sensitive to these sort of things: anything short of blatant flag-waving is basically considered 'insensitive'. And frankly if you can't approach the subject a decade-on, its pretty telling of the country's inability to move on. It's going to be interesting to compare it with the large amount of post-tsunami films coming out of Japan at the moment - there were tonnes in Berlin. I haven't gotten to see any of them yet (and can't wait to see Himizu) but by all accounts they seem to take a much more 'removed' perspective compared to post-9/11 art.

That said, film-makers have been guilty of utilising 9/11 as a cheap and cynical emotional punctuation mark - Remember Me springs to mind.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I read the book years ago because I really enjoyed everything is illuminated. I enjoyed the book so i'm willing to give this a chance, might wait for dvd though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

I fell asleep watching this and afterwards the missus confessed that she was rather jealous because,as she saw it, I got more out of that film than she did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The film is a parable. The September 11 references are merely a tool to tell a story.

Metaphor
    Character Actor Notes
    Us, looking for salvation
    The boy, Oskar Schell Thomas Horn
    Lost and are trying to find the truth
    Jesus
    The father, Thomas Schell Tom Hanks
    Told interesting little stories, taken too early. Knew he was going to die, but kept going for the sake of the boy
    The Holy Spirit
    The mother, Linda Schell Sandra Bullock
    We thought we were alone, but she was there all along
    Mary
    The Grandmother Zoe Caldwell
    The virgin mother
    God
    The renter Max von Sydow
    He doesn't talk to anyone directly, he seems to be missing at times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I won't be going to see this, they played a clip on the radio and even that angered me. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Angered you? Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

I saw it today. It was alright. Max Von Sydow was the best part (hardly Oscar worthy though).

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭whiteonblu

I watched it last night and saw a lot of negative criticism about the autism angle. I thought it was very good. Thought the boy who played Oskar was very good. I think the people who did not like him missed the point that asperger kids can be very intelligent and know a lot about things. It is people and emotions they cannot really connect or have empathy with.

• Advertisement
Advertisement