Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

donegal town boards beers night

Options
  • 17-02-2012 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

k, so letterkenny boards beers was a great night, lets try again for a donegal town one! :D
    vote early and vote often!

which night suits ye for a donegal town boards beers? 5 votes

Fri 24th Feb
    0% 0 votes
    Sat 25th Feb
    0% 0 votes
    Fri 2nd March
    40% 2 votes
    Sat 3rd March
    60% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

making a rare trip home so will definately drop in if its 24/25th... definately wont be around the next week.
    location? forge? damn good guiness and couches and arm chairs upstairs:)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Pity it wasn't a multichoice poll, but anyway, I'd hope to make it for either Friday or Saturday 2/3 March (weekend before clashes with a trip to Dublin).

byte wrote: »
    Pity it wasn't a multichoice poll, but anyway, I'd hope to make it for either Friday or Saturday 2/3 March (weekend before clashes with a trip to Dublin).
    its like we are trying to avoid each other, swapping locations for that weekend:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Work on Sat nights so Friday for me.

not that theres been many votes but il take it that its not this weekend then:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭december83

so this friday night folks!
    the forge was mentioned in an earlier post...... start the evening there?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Unfortunately, I spent a tad too much at a concert in Dublin last night and don't have funding left to beer this Friday, Lotto results pending... :(

anyone still up for tomorrow evening?

that would be a no then???

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

First up lent is probably not the best time to organise a beers night. Never a good time for that matter but it could account for 1 or 2 maybe not showing an interest.

Secondly I'm not sure if there's enough regulars within striking distance of Donegal Town to justify a beers night. I mean that in a nice way.

The forum, just like the actual county, has a large geographical spread with people from all parts so it's probably better to try a single night for everyone around the county rather than attempting a localised version for a few.

Maybe when lent is over we could look at arranging a beers night in Letterkenny or the twin towns as those areas would probably get a few people attending (the usual drunks anyhow ;)).

Indeed Donegal Town is not out of the question either or maybe Biddys would be a good compromise. I think we need a wee bit of planning in relation to transport and associated cost of same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Now Muffler, that's not really very fair, now is it:

1) If you had mentioned the Lent thing a few weeks ago when this thread was opened then perhaps alternative dates could have been suggested. Not everyone follows Lent & it wouldn't necessarily have even been thought about.

2) I agree that L'kenny may be the most central town in Donegal, but that does not discredit the reality that it is well over an hour's journey for many posters (and therefore kindof takes away from the "beers" experience). What's wrong with trying to plan more local events, even if it appeals to a smaller crowd?

3) You mentioned a need for more planning, and for this I would agree. However, this thread started three weeks ago - if you (or anyone) wanted to plan transport, etc, how much more time would be necessary?

Ayla wrote: »
    Now Muffler, that's not really very fair, now is it:

1) If you had mentioned the Lent thing a few weeks ago when this thread was opened then perhaps alternative dates could have been suggested. Not everyone follows Lent & it wouldn't necessarily have even been thought about.

2) I agree that L'kenny may be the most central town in Donegal, but that does not discredit the reality that it is well over an hour's journey for many posters (and therefore kindof takes away from the "beers" experience). What's wrong with trying to plan more local events, even if it appeals to a smaller crowd?

3) You mentioned a need for more planning, and for this I would agree. However, this thread started three weeks ago - if you (or anyone) wanted to plan transport, etc, how much more time would be necessary?
    Well, I'm sorry you feel that way Ayla. I was trying to be helpful by making a couple of observations and suggestions in the hope that something could be arranged at some time or another.

Im a bit surprised that you seen fit to criticise me/my comments seeing as you haven't posted in the thread yourself until an hour ago.

I have absolutely no desire to turn this into any sort of disagreement, I was just trying to point out that your observations & suggestions would have been better made when the thread started 3 weeks ago.

And just because I don't respond on these types of threads, I have stated before why I don't have the opportunity to attend any Fri/Sat night events. I wouldn't think that should prevent me from defending those who are trying to arrange them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

I have absolutely no desire to turn this into any sort of disagreement, I was just trying to point out that your observations & suggestions would have been better made when the thread started 3 weeks ago.

And just because I don't respond on these types of threads, I have stated before why I don't have the opportunity to attend any Fri/Sat night events. I wouldn't think that should prevent me from defending those who are trying to arrange them.

But your only input was to attack someone who was making a few suggestions as to how it could maybe work :confused:

Fine, forget it. I was just trying to make my own observations & suggestions too, but take it as you will. I'm out.

I have absolutely no desire to turn this into any sort of disagreement
    So why did you take issue with my post?

I was just trying to point out that your observations & suggestions would have been better made when the thread started 3 weeks ago.
    You said a lot more than that.

And just because I don't respond on these types of threads, I have stated before why I don't have the opportunity to attend any Fri/Sat night events.
    I haven't seen you post anything along those lines in this thread. In fact I haven't seen you post until today.

I wouldn't think that should prevent me from defending those who are trying to arrange them.
    Defending who from what? Have I missed something?

As homer said your only input was a personal attack on me and I'd like to why. If you have a problem then take it to PM please.

Let me make this clear:

What I had a problem with your post was the fact that you thought it helpful to make these "suggestions" after the event bombed out. And the tone of the beginning of your post was not "how can we make this better" but "why this failed" ie:
    First up lent is probably not the best time to organise a beers night
    . Jasus, if that was what you wanted to say, then why didn't you say that three weeks ago?! It's too flippin late to do anything about it now!

Then my second point was against this:
    it's probably better to try a single night for everyone around the county rather than attempting a localised version for a few. Maybe when lent is over we could look at arranging a beers night in Letterkenny or the twin towns as those areas would probably get a few people attending (the usual drunks anyhow ).
    Why shouldn't the OP try to arrange a local event? For all you (or any of us) know, maybe there are a lot of lurkers on here who never atttend the usual event b/c it's always in L'kenny. Always.

I was defending the OP's right to try to arrange a local event. And I did take issue with your "suggestions" because I really feel that if you wanted to say any of that you could have said it (especially the part about Lent) before the event lost out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Mod hat. Take it to PM!

Mod hat. Take it to PM!
    haha mod gets modded on his own forum:pac:
    anyway hopefully we can get something local some stage, 6 votes on it so if we could get 5 or 6 some night it would be decent enough. id say there isnt that many more on here from the donegal town area. maybe a few weeks after the start of summer... avoiding roryfest and the donegal rally off the top of my head...hmm already sounding just as tricky!
    although one in the twin towns on the night of a harps game would be good, could sacrifice the alcohol and offer a lift

Advertisement