Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I kill ivy?

Options
  • 17-02-2012 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭

As the title say, I need to kill off ivy growing up the side of a building. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

cut the stems at the bottom

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

planetX wrote: »
    cut the stems at the bottom

It will work eventually but it can take a long time as the stems have thousands of aerial roots that can adsorb moisture. Roundup do an Ivy killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭blackharvester

cut the ivy at the bottom, and poison stumps, (make sure you poison all stumps, as there could be few). it may take few months untill ivy die completly, but you can try to remove stems from wall if you dont wona wait that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Forest Fire

What do you poison stumps with?

• Advertisement

That link is defunkt BlackH

I have cut Ivy down to ground level everywhere. I have a huge garden and had thick ivy on all walls...like trees and up real all other trees. There are roots 1.2 metres out from wall into lawn. I've hacked at roots with axe everywhere while making beds but some are impossible to reach and shoots of ivy keep reappearing fast up walls and trees. I think i need strong poison, if not for ivy, then for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,455 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Allow the new shoots to grow then treat - probably several times - with systemic weedkiller. This will take poison back into the roots and kill them. Now the tops have been cut off it will probably take longer to get the weedkiller to the roots but it should work eventually. You have to be patient with this kind of weedkiller, it is not immediately obvious that it is working.

sorry Forest Fire here is correct link

http://www.toolsrus.co.uk/y2n/Poison-Sprays/SBK-Brushwood-Killer-500ml
    you can buy it in good garden centers,

if you wona kill roots/stumps you should drill holes in roots and put poison straight there, this would be the fastest way. this poison wont kill grass, but can kill everything else, so be carefull, use gloves, keep kids and pets away

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Northumbria

Cut the stems and pull it all off. If you just kill it and leave it there it'll go die and go all brown and ugly.
    I took some off my house the other day, it was nice but it had a large main root that was growing into the drains. Once you've done it, get a wire brush on the brickwork because it leaves a mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

I used Rootout which comes in a sugar like crystal. I cut back as much as I could and then on a raw bit of stump I put spoonful of chemical then covered with bit of plastic and secured with rubber band. It takes a good while ( allow a year) but roots/plant completely killed off.

Advertisement