Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Innotek Dog Fence

• 17-02-2012 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Does anyone have any experience of this dog containment system. I have a 1yr old Golden Retriever and she is beginning to chase cars (learned from the neighbours dog). I saw 1 advertised on line for €139 and also saw Smart Dog in Ground fence on done deal for €80. Just wondering which is best. I should say we live in the country side so would need a lot of wire

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

The only reliable pet containment system that will prevent car chasing is this type.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bannermaf

Hi Sunshine, I don't believe these fences are reliable at all. It depends on the sensitivity of your dog and the motivation of your dog. Some dogs, like labs and retreivers, have a very high threshold for pain and are not overly impressed with the shock they receive from the fence. And if what they want on the other side of the fence is great enough, they would happily accept a moment of pain for the freedom. I have rescued many a dog found lost wearing innotek collars.

It is another seperate argument altogether whether or not you consider it humane to "zap" your beloved pet. There is some very good evidence that these collars can cause some real pyscological damage to dogs, not to mention phyiscal burns.

It costs a lot of money to put up a "real" fence, but it is one of your responsibilities as a responsible dog "mom".

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

My dog's a wannabe car chaser too, and whatever about whether it's right or not, I wouldn't trust one of these to work. The drive to chase is so intense, the dog might just go out anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Here's a link to one of the latest electric fence discussions http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76637744

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Simple, build an enclosed Dog Run - it really is that easy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭gud4u

My neighbours dog visits regularly with an electric collar on.:confused:

It works for a boxer on a road I walk regularly though, so it really seems to be hit and miss.

My friend had a dog that was clever enough to sit near the fence untill the battery was dead/buzzing stopped for him and then he sauntered through it, I;m thinking that's what my little visitor does too.

Advertisement