Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westvleteren 12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Anyone ever taste it?
    It has 100% out of 1300 reviews on beer advocate: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/313/1545

It's hard to get, but Molloys are doing it. Not cheap at €50 for 6 bottles and 2 glasses. If you say the glasses are a fiver each, that's still €6.60 a bottle.

http://www.molloys.ie/buy-online/Products/Beers-of-the-World-Gift-Packs/Westvleteren-XII-Gift-Pack

I reckon I might get a pack though, just for the experience.

Haven't tasted it but thinking of getting one just for the taste, and those glasses are really nice looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I just got some. If you compare the price to wine it's not too expensive. Roughly the price of a €14 bottle of wine.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Bit of discussion on it here.

I liked it but I don't think it's worth the asking price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

BeerNut wrote: »

Good taste test. Agree with you on Westmalle Dubbel, it's one of those beers I'm always in the mood for.
    St. Bernardus Abt 12 is down as €3.80 on drinkstore.ie, so it's worth getting these at €6.60 each to give them a go. Might do a taste test with St. Bernardus while I'm at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,079 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I was gutted when I found out it was just the 12 coming in and not a selection pack. The blond is the on that stood most for me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Where can you buy "any of the others for less than €1 per bottle", I'd love to know!

Any supermarket in Belgium.

Any supermarket in Belgium.

ah right. Not here ya cant :P

Out of interest, how much does a bottle cost from the Abbey or Visitors centre?

Seaneh wrote: »
    ah right. Not here ya cant :P
    No. But when I wrote that blog post you couldn't buy Westvleteren here at all. There's an assumption that the hypothetical purchaser is in Belgium.
    Out of interest, how much does a bottle cost from the Abbey or Visitors centre?
    €1.62 and a half, plus deposit. But you can only buy by the case of 24. Details here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I liked it, but other than the six pack I got, I can't see myself buying it again for such a high price.
    Paparazzo wrote: »
    Anyone ever taste it?
    It has 100% out of 1300 reviews on beer advocate: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/313/1545
    Betcha the rating goes down in the next few months since it's now more widely available and you'll have a lot of people surprised that it's not the manna from heaven that it's hailed to be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Just got a text from my brother saying he'd left a bottle of this into my mother's for me.

I remembered this thread.

Will I just open it and drink it, or should I leave it for a while?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Des wrote: »
    Just got a text from my brother saying he'd left a bottle of this into my mother's for me.

I remembered this thread.
    Will I just open it and drink it, or should I leave it for a while?
    Open and drink. They were released in February or so, so it will have already aged a bit. I liked it better when it was fresher. I still have 4 ageing though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I got 2 of the bricks so I have 12 in total. I have not tried them but I have had it before.
    I agree that it's an excellent beer but not worth the hype. In fact Westvleteren 8 stood out for me. I had that before the 12.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

I also got 2 bricks and popped a bottle at the weekend.
    I was actually a bit let down, I've had it before in Bruges and thought it was better. I still prefer a good Rochfort 10 over it tbh.

I might try another bottle at Christmas or some time next year to see how its going!

Still, there is always ebay if you don't care for them! I heard Ireland got the same allotment of bricks as the US did :D

Saruman wrote: »
    Still, there is always ebay if you don't care for them! I heard Ireland got the same allotment of bricks as the US did :D

And if you want to make money on your empty bottles!

BaZmO* wrote: »
    And if you want to make money on your empty bottles!
    They're not empty. People who sell beer on eBay try to get round the law and the rules by pretending it's the bottle that's for sale, not the contents.

Yeah I saw people selling empty bottles. I didn't think anyone would buy them. For one thing, they are just beer bottles but specifically there is nothing about them to distinguish them as Westvleteren bottles is there? Other breweries use the same type bottle and it only says Trappist or something like that does it not? I thought the only thing that makes it Westvleteren traditionally is the colour of the cap, which can be bought in any homebrew store.

specifically there is nothing about them to distinguish them as Westvleteren bottles is there?
    In this case, the beer inside :D
    Other breweries use the same type bottle and it only says Trappist or something like that does it not?
    Yep, those were originally Westmalle bottles. Before the specially-printed bottles in the brick, Westvleteren always used second-hand bottles from other breweries. The Westmalle ones can be spotted by their collar.
    I thought the only thing that makes it Westvleteren traditionally is the colour of the cap, which can be bought in any homebrew store.
    The cap is branded, and has the brewery name and logo, the beer number and the ABV on it.

Thanks TBN, I have not examined the regular bottles but neither have I paid any attention to the ones in my bricks at home.

I love on the bottle add where it says:
    The container has not been opened and any incidental contents are not intended for consumption.

What the hell is in there?

• Advertisement

See post #18 above.

See post #18 above.

Ah... missed that one ;)

They're not empty. People who sell beer on eBay try to get round the law and the rules by pretending it's the bottle that's for sale, not the contents.

Hmmm interesting

The was it was described to me was this.

"Imagine that I got one lot jobbie of bricks, and use that as the unit. Well I got one lot jobbie for Ireland, just the south, so one lot jobbie for 4.5 million people, well, the in the US they got two lot jobbie's between two different importers for the whole country, so Ireland got a fair amount"

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Hmmm interesting

I have friends who mail beer to each other in the US by labelling it stuff like "Yeast sample suspended in moltodextrin solution" and so forth.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

a big problem for people buying whiskey on online auctions is that the easiest scam to pull is to get an old empty bottle of eg highland park or port ellen, fill it up with a bog standard whiskey (eg black bottle) or even water, and reseal it. Brown bottles are even easier to fabricate because the colour of the liquid inside is not clear.

Not sure it is worth while making fake beers, but given the price of westvleteren and the ease at which it could be replicated, I wouldn't be surprised if what you get in the bottle is not westvletern or not even beer and if you've agreed to purchase a bottle for it's collectability only and not it's contents, then you may not have any recourse.

Very good point. A bench capper and careful opening will reseal those bottles with none the wiser and who can you complain to? ebay don't allow alcohol sales so you were clearly buying a collectible bottle, or more to the point, bottle cap because the bottles are nothing special.

I have friends who mail beer to each other in the US by labelling it stuff like "Yeast sample suspended in moltodextrin solution" and so forth.
    Although I'm guessing the clever word play would prick up the ears of many an over zealous post office clerk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

I hope I'm not digging up an oldish thread, but here it goes.

Does anyone know if anywhere in Dublin is stocking this beer? I see from the OP that around 50 euro for 6 bottles and 2 glases seems like a fantastic deal, considering I've looked online and one bottle is 14 euro.

Any info about further releases?.. I'm dying to try this.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Fart wrote: »
    I hope I'm not digging up an oldish thread, but here it goes.

Does anyone know if anywhere in Dublin is stocking this beer? I see from the OP that around 50 euro for 6 bottles and 2 glases seems like a fantastic deal, considering I've looked online and one bottle is 14 euro.

Any info about further releases?.. I'm dying to try this.

Cheers.

Their whole schtick is to only sell them in or around the abbey and not commercially. It's quite a marketing idea from those crafty monks.

so unless the roof falls in again, or they get greedy, it won't be available for general release any time soon.

You could visit the abbey, or you could pick one up second hand. Maybe there might be a brick still in one of the off licences if you look hard enough.

Advertisement