Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westvleteren 12

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Zebra3, I deleted your post where you quoted the spammer, just in case you're wondering :).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Seaneh wrote: »
    McHugh's.

Brick for €60.

How many bottles in that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

6 in a brick, plus a lovely glass to drink them from

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

6 in a brick, plus a lovely glass to drink them from

Two lovely glasses ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭MrGee

Although Westy 12 is very nice its by far IMO not the best of the belgians, its on a level playing field with lots of similar belgians.
    People are drawn to it by its rareness.
    They charge 12-15e for loose botles in bars/ beer shops in belgium and holland. Chimay bleu, rochefort and westmalle equally as good if not better for a third of the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

The westies I've had were of different quality. Myself and the GF both opened one. Mine was delicious. Nicest beer ever for sure. Hers was not. Completely different quality. Green perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Well, it has been over a year now. I reckon I will crack open another one soon.
    In fact it's coming up on two years since I bought them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Saruman wrote: »
    I had one when I got it and then one for each Christmas Day over the next few years. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

I had one in Bruges a few years ago and it was gorgeous. Haven't yet opened any of the bottles in my 'brick', which has been, er, aging for about a year and a half now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

It's a lovely, lovely beer. I do prefer Rochefort 10, but many people will say this is the nicest trappist from Belgium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

This thread just reminded me i have one left tucked away in a press at home!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭pdebarra

Saruman wrote: »
    In fact it's coming up on two years since I bought them.

Yep, I bought them in Jan/Feb 2012, I think. Whenever they went on general release. Will crack another one open on 31st Dec, and then another on 31st Dec 2014!

It's a lovely beer. There's no doubt about that. Whether it's the nicest ever... Impossible to say.

my brother got a brick for his wedding day, instead of champagne the groom, best man and groomsmen had a glass of it.

he gave me a bottle too, which is now over a year bought.

I'm keeping it for when my child is born

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭MrGee

I wonder how many bricks mchughs has left. I know they didnt have them on display in the shop but had them all in the back storeroom.
    I know a few american guys that found out that they had em, everytime they came over they took a trip to mchughs and bought a brick each. Impossible to get over there just like pliny is impossible to get over here. Bleedin celebrity beers!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Mine cost roughly €20 each but I did go to the monastery to buy it. Their patés and cheeses are also great. I also got a glass.

I've only had one. I gave away another. Lots left for aging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Andre Salmon

I just nipped over to mchugh's and picked up a brick. I was worried they would sell out. There's only a few left seemingly

I just nipped over to mchugh's and picked up a brick. I was worried they would sell out. There's only a few left seemingly

Everyone who's bought it there comes out saying that!

They must have a few monks out the back brewing it for them :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Andre Salmon

Everyone who's bought it there comes out saying that!

They must have a few monks out the back brewing it for them :pac:

Heh that's true but they may be telling the truth this time, I asked a young fella working there and he disappeared out the back for 10 mins then came back to say they were all gone. I decided to check with the other bloke working and he said there were a few left and got 1 for me.
    Anyway I got one so can let someone else call their bluff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Heroditas

This thread just reminded me i have one left tucked away in a press at home!!!

It's reminded me I have FIVE tucked away. :D

Heroditas wrote: »
    It's reminded me I have FIVE tucked away. :D

Five bricks!? Good man!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Heroditas

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Five bricks!? Good man!

Feck no! Five bottles :(

Heroditas wrote: »
    Feck no! Five bottles :(

I know. ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

In the wise words of Fr Jack Hackett:

i_love_my_brick_by_tai_is_watching_you.jpg

:D

Advertisement