Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripplecom now charging per mb

• 17-02-2012 8:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Got a letter in the post from Ripplecom this evening telling me that I now have a 30GB limit (on upload+download) per month and they'll charge me an extra euro per gig I go over that. Judging on the figure they quoted me as using last month (a normal month by most standards), it's going to more than double my monthly cost. Never mind that I've had no wifi for about 2 weeks and their tech support appears to be staffed by (expletive deleted), this is the final straw, I'm done with them. Just thought I'd let other people know, the new charges come into effect Mar 1.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Beginning of the end for them if they start that crack. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

reducing limits in this day and age is ridiculous, any and every company should be looking to expand these bloomin ridiculous data limits

pretty ridiculous that, I'd be quite angry too

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Surely such a significant change in terms and conditions would entitle a customer to a minimum of 28 days notice?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

A 30 gig limit is crazy in this day and age.
    What speed are you on?
    I'd be shopping around & telling them to stick their miserable allowance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You may quit the contract if you are in contract. They simply cannot hold you to it because they change the T&Cs themselves mid contract. (thems Comreg Rules) . You may do so within 30 days of being notified of the change in T&Cs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Is this on the 8Mbit package?

If so, that is an absolute disgrace. Considering with that speed (although with them you're unlikely to hit/maintain that speed :P), you can break the cap in 7/8 hours, it's a bigger disgrace.

If they implemented a reasonable limit like 100Gb, I wouldn't mind, but this company is seriously going backwards if they go ahead with this. With 2 computers, iPods/gaming consoles and an Internet Radio in this house, I can see this limit being broken within the first two weeks of the month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

KoolKid wrote: »
    A 30 gig limit is crazy in this day and age.
    What speed are you on?
    I'd be shopping around & telling them to stick their miserable allowance.

That's the problem in this country. Ripplecom might be the only choice he has. I'm lucky I have DSL but, I know people a mile down the road who don't. So, Ripplecom is it for them.

Fcking ridiculous! Sure I can only get 3g internet living in Dublin at most a 30>60gb cap

**** has to change and fast I says!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭DIF

I haven't got my letter from Ripplecom about these changes yet but my neighbours got their letter on Friday. I'm always watching stuff online... so I'm screwed. I've been looking at other internet providers but there seems to be a trend of all the internet companies charging by usage now. Didn't we just get away from charging by usage 10 years ago? They can't make the internet any faster...so charge more for usage! It's backward this country is going! We're been encouraged to use the internet more... join Netflix, watch Youtube, use Facebook, watch Sky online, play games online, pay bills online blah blah blah... now the internet providers seize the opportunity to fleece the Irish by turning by the clock and charging us by usage... last person in Ireland turn off the light!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭nagel

if you are like me you wont break the download cap i am supposed to be on a 3 meg package (old lastmile) and most evenings speeds range from .06 to .4 mb and pings around 200ms as already said support useless
    no reply to emails alas no choice and to get comreg interested you have to jumps through hoops and i thought lastmile were a shower of chancers (bring them back)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The problem I have isn't the cap itself, but the low volume of the cap and the very late introduction of it.

Myself (and I assume most others), have become accustomed to having a large amount of bandwidth available. Earlier I tried calculating my usage and found the following.

2 computers (1 metered, which averages 60Gb a month)
    1 internet radio which is on most of the day

Those would be the main users and there's a number of other small devices.

In 2007/2008, on a 1/2Mbit package, 30Gb would be a lot, and would be a cap that would cripple only the heaviest of downloaders.

In 2012, on a 8Mbit package, 30Gb would cripple the majority of users. Even browsing and watching videos/downloading stuff/gaming/updating nowadays uses a lot of data, and especially with the introduction of services such as Netflix.

Being honest, I find it hard that I will keep within this ridiculous cap every month. 40 euro is enough to pay for the connection, plus 30Gb of bandwidth is nothing. If they implement this, I will be on the first train off their network as soon as a new ISP becomes available. I had planned upon staying with them (due to decent limits, upload speed and stability), but this is one of those decisions that leads to company failures.

PS, I still haven't received any letters, so some full on horsing for a few days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Bald? er, dash!

I received my letter today, and although it is dated 08-02-2012, the envelope is postmarked 20-02-2012, sneaky?.

They are defining usage as download and upload, aren't these usually quoted as download limits only? Like the OP, based on last month, this will double my costs. They are looking for an extra €0.01 per 10MB.

They have not given any indication that there is a utility to either download or online to monitor usage like any other broadband provider I am aware of has.

I have stuck with these guys for a long time despite relatively poor value for money, poor customer service, poor speeds and often being left without any service at all,and in the main this is because of the unlimited data that I sign up for when I joined Ice Communications 7 years ago. I think it is time to find a cheaper alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭p.oconnor

We received a letter today and from a quick read there was no mention of any charge per mb, we are on the 8MB phone and broadband offer, 49.99 a month.

Might this charge just apply to lower down packages?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭mossie

p.oconnor wrote: »
    We received a letter today and from a quick read there was no mention of any charge per mb, we are on the 8MB phone and broadband offer, 49.99 a month.

Might this charge just apply to lower down packages?

I got mine too. 70gb limit on 8meg package, 1 cent per 10 MB over the 70gb limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭p.oconnor

mossie wrote: »
    I got mine too. 70gb limit on 8meg package, 1 cent per 10 MB over the 70gb limit.

Do you have the phone service aswell, read through it again no mention of any charge

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭kopite davo

its a joke, eircom is the same price for its 3 mg package and download limit. great competition. i think a move to eircom/vodafone may be coming. dont mind paying 30€ for the month but the 30gb limit is a joke !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

They are raising the price for the 8/1 package to 44.99 and the monthly allowance to 70 gig.
    I have no problems with the price increase as that price has been in place for as many years as I have been with them (5+) but the cap is annoying.
    My options are limited or non-existent actually (although our exchange is enabled, whether or not I can get Eircom's broadband is a big questionmark (haven't had a landline for years and they won't guarantee you can get bb).
    Granted, I am unlikely to exceed the allowance, but that could change easily with some huge game updates / downloads along the line or use of streaming services like Netfix.
    Introducing the limit seems pointless, if, as they claim, it won't affect 90 % of their customer base (this is referring to 8/1 package) - then why bother and go back to the old OMG did I use too much this month mentality.
    Pretty cheesed off but no option but to grin and bear it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Just to add, I mailed them re usage monitor and exceeding the cap:

"Thank you for your email. From the 1st March you will be able to view your usage during the month and it will also show your usage limit so if you logon to your customer page [....]
    and you will receive notification when you are coming close to your limits."

In fairness, I had a reply within minutes of sending the mail. He also provided me with credentials to log into the website to check usage. Its actually already up and you can see your current usage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nancyandfrank

I have a 30 gig limit, old last mile package and I'm easily restricted 15 days out of every month. I called them this morning regarding this and I was very kindly told to stop using it for a few days, that's when I very kindly told them back that I need a service the fit's my lifestyle, and not fit my lifestyle around their service. In one ear and out the other.

I just don't get it, most businesses fight to keep customers in this day and age but this crowd just couldn't care less. They know there's no other option for some of their customers and their attitude and lack of customer service skills really reflect this. I'm only with them out of necessity, but the second another broadband company serves my area I'll be gone in a heartbeat. Horrible company and if you have a chioce I would highly recommend giving your business to someone who appreciates it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,623 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm screwed, this is the only option for me for broadband and I can't live inside a 70Gb ceiling, I worked out that my last months usage, 116.73Gb would, in March, cost me €92!
    What the frak!
    Not sure where this is going to leave streaming movies, downloading TV, downloading games etc.
    Sending a strongly worded email but from previous posts I guess they don't give a toss.
    Arse!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭pauldaly1888

p.oconnor wrote: »
    mossie wrote: »

Do you have the phone service aswell, read through it again no mention of any charge
    Anyone who receives this letter has the right to leave their contract immediately as the terms are being changed and you are not being given 30 days notice. They are also obliged to notify you that you may leave your contract as they have changed the terms.i told them I was leaving and they cut me off even though I've paid until the end if the month.anyway they won't be around much longer.hope the door doesnt hit them on the way out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭denballs

amazeing.....these people are competing with upc.....so what do they do...UPC brings out 500gb limit......they drop there limit below a 10th of upc and charge for it....lol.....:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

More of a case that they can't compete, so insted screw the ones who can't get service from their better compeditors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Well they aren't really competing. They are the only option for a lot of people. It's just exploitative practice.

they are NOT the only option

just as an example........if your living in the most rural parts of the country you can still get satellite internet

http://www.broadbandanywhere.ie/
    or
    http://www.digiweb.ie/home/broadband/

WHoah at the broadbandanywhere website! ahh the thing with the digiweb's satellite is that it's €40.60 a month for a 4GB data limit, high pings and €249 installation! :eek:

If you can't a fixed line service... upc/eircom etc... next best option is fixed wireless. then 3g and then satellite

Same as here
    http://www.onwave.ie/packages/broadband
    Crazy, . You would be better off with a GSM dongle at €10 a month.

Seriously guys.......just move to dublin :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

The 4GB a month data limit actually makes me lol + that broadbandanywhere.ie has a phone number as long as a dole que and advertises it's services in kbps

I'm in Dublin, have a phoneline that can handle a max of 1Mb, can't get any sort of fixed wireless ISP (or incl wimax) and there is no UPC... So, stuck with 3g! :cool: Good stuff Ireland

Advertisement