Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripplecom now charging per mb

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

If it were me, I'd be showing them the last few monthly results from my SamKnows statistics.
    Can we assume that, knowing your broadband connection was not great, that you signed up for this survey?

SamKnows is for fixed line connections only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Brian wrote: »
    SamKnows is for fixed line connections only.

I see, I had assumed Ripplecom used similar technology to this from Digiweb, which definitely qualifies for the survey, as they tested my connection and told me I qualify, and I now have the box connected for the past 3-4 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Ripplecom uses Motorola Canopy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

I believe Ripplecom's network comprises several different flavours of FWA technology (my CPE is a MikroTik using 802.11a for example). As various WISPs were taken over/merged, their various networks have been integrated into the overall Ripplecom network. I'm sure it will all get standardised at some point as upgrades happen across the network.

As for the Sam Knows survey, I have Ripplecom 8Mb and I was accepted for it. Unfortunately I got the acceptance mail the same week that Ripplecom announced the transfer caps, so I declined it. I might reconsider when I see how my usage fits with the cap and whether I have enough headroom. Sam Knows survey consumes about 3GB per month I believe.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Now that the first month of metered internet is gone, did anyone get charged for going over the limit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Didn't they delay it to 1/4 (because of all the feedback, I'd say). I don't mind, I moved to Nova a month ago, and am adjusting to the 4gig daily limit nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Hmm, I just checked my usage and it says Unlimited for Monthyl Allowance (CAP) - did they revert to unlimited after all? (Handy enough, the GW2 beta client is downloading as we speak :P)

I noticed the same thing. Hopefully they have quietly reverted after seeing the response in general. Will be interesting to see what happens next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Where can you see your usage?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Wizoom

Where can you see your usage?

I'd be interested to know this as well?

• Advertisement

Wizoom wrote: »
    I'd be interested to know this as well?

Here you go.

If you don't have your account log-in details, just ring them and they'll sort you out.

Also, as of today, the limit has gone back to 70GB. :mad:

Ripplecom_usage.jpg

I don't see why Ripplecom don't have the option to purchase an extension to the allowance, when we were on DSL with Vodafone, they gave us the option to pay €5 extra a month for an extra 30GB.

Does anyone know of a free download meter? I remember I used one ages ago, but I cannot remember the name of it.

Also, my Monthly Allowance shows up as 0.0000 GB

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭p.oconnor

Does anyone know of a free download meter? I remember I used one ages ago, but I cannot remember the name of it.

Also, my Monthly Allowance shows up as 0.0000 GB

Mine is the same with the monthly allowance reading 0.0, does it depend on the package you have... Im on the 8MB phone and broadband package €50 a month

We rang Ripplecom and we were told that our download limit would not come into effect until July 1, but my dad received an email last night saying we'd gone over our limit.

No idea what is going on, as the site now says 70.0000GB for our cap.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Looks like I'll find out this month. Already at 43Gb and looks like I'll definately top 80 unless I'm careful.

2012 and this :(

After watching our usage for this month, a check on the site shows a limit of 0.0000GB again, not going to chance going over 70 just in case, but it'd be wondrous if they removed the limit.

It'd be great if they offered something like what we got back with Vodafone, where we payed a small bit extra and got 30GB more for our download allowance.

Anyone still not have the download limit activated yet? Ours is now showing as 70GB on the site, but it's down (our connection) at the moment so we can't even properly use it :mad:

They should really. For those of us who know we're going to require more than the limit an extra few euro a month isn't going to harm anyone. I don't use massive amounts of bandwidth a month but 85Gb a month seems reasonable in this day and age.

Last month I used around 74Gb in the month. I broke the limit on the 28th, and on the 29th it showed I had an overage of 1.9Gb or whatever it was. On the 30th however this was reset to 0.00Gb. The months usage kept going up tho.

No sign of any charges (yet). I'm not going to bust the limit this month so thankfully I don't have to worry. :)

Left a message with the sales department about offering an increase in the download limit for a bit extra every month, maybe if we all got at them, they'd do something like that or just remove the download limit (I doubt it, but no harm in trying).

• Advertisement

Left a message with the sales department about offering an increase in the download limit for a bit extra every month, maybe if we all got at them, they'd do something like that or just remove the download limit (I doubt it, but no harm in trying).
    That, or unlimited usage at night (12am - 8am maybe?)

Wouldn't mind that either

marno21 wrote: »
    That, or unlimited usage at night (12am - 8am maybe?)

Wouldn't mind that either

That'd also be great, or even better would be unlimited off-peak.

Got off the phone with Ripplecom just there, we can get an extra 30GB for a fiver a month, or move to a business package with unlimited usage for an extra €25ish a month.

Might get my dad to go with the business one and my brothers and I pay the difference each month, considering we use the connection the most, less than a tenner each to not have to worry about the download limit is worth it to us.

30Gb extra per month for a fiver sounds good. Might contact them and enquire about that.

Am I right in saying that the business package is 60 a month? That's 8/1 with unlimited usage.

30Gb extra per month for a fiver sounds good. Might contact them and enquire about that.

Am I right in saying that the business package is 60 a month? That's 8/1 with unlimited usage.

I think that price doesn't include VAT, if I'm mistaken though, then woo!

Doesn't say anything about VAT but the sales team are the people who can tell you the full price :)

Doesn't say anything about VAT but the sales team are the people who can tell you the full price :)

I definitely heard them say something around €70, and when you add 23% to €60 you get €73.80 :(

Also, I don't think the business package includes phone, I'm going to find that out ASAP.

Well it looks like we're going to go ahead with the Business package mentioned a few posts up, it's ridiculous money, but myself and my brothers are going to pay the extra it is over the package we are on right now to get it, it's worth it to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Chef-1st

Hey VenomIreland.

How are you fairing out with the Business Package?
    What is it like in the evenings? Are the speeds consistent compared to the unreliable 8M home service?

I'm considering upgrading my 8M home package to the business package, because their 8M home service is terrible, too congested, to unreliable, and that cap of 70G is an absolute joke.

Is that 8M business €60 incl vat, or excl vat?

Cheers, Chef!

• Advertisement

Chef-1st wrote: »
    Hey VenomIreland.

How are you fairing out with the Business Package?
    What is it like in the evenings? Are the speeds consistent compared to the unreliable 8M home service?

I'm considering upgrading my 8M home package to the business package, because their 8M home service is terrible, too congested, to unreliable, and that cap of 70G is an absolute joke.

Is that 8M business €60 incl vat, or excl vat?

Cheers, Chef!
    For a while it was grand, however recently due to supposed interference in the area our download speeds haven't been too great (although they've been improving), it's still worth the extra to us as we need the bigger download limit and they are our only choice in the area for anything faster than 1Mb.

I think it's excluding vat, can't quite remember.

Advertisement