Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland wastes 70 million on barbarisim

• 17-02-2012 8:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭

Soon the irish government plans to spend 70 million on killing badgers to prevent the spread of tb. The methods used are snares which are on a par with animal traps in africa! The animals starve to death slowly often. The thing is this method does nothing to reduce the amount of tb infected cattle! Scotland dont practice culls and they have a lot less tb infected cattle than ireland!!

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0213/1224311684912.html

Tax payers shouldnt be funding this. Ireland seems t have a major problem with wildlife! First the golden eagles now this. Are we to mow down any animal that we dont like?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

There rodents you get paid by the government for shooting them and mink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭mickgotsick

I only go to the barbers once every few weeks

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

steddyeddy wrote: »
    The thing is this method does nothing to reduce the amount of tb infected cattle! Scotland dont practice culls and they have a lot less tb infected cattle than ireland!!

From the article
    "since 2000 the number of “reactors” – cattle that have failed the mandatory test for bovine TB – has fallen from 40,000 to 18,500.

The Minister told Independent TD Maureen O’Sullivan that in Britain, which did not cull badgers now but would begin a pilot project in the autumn, the number of reactors had increased from 6,000 in 1999 to 33,000 in 2010."

Looks like it works to me, so good in fact that it is being introduced in Britain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

How much per badger????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

So what's your solution then OP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I agree.

The government should cut the haircut allowance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

How much per badger????

2 euro i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

I fully support Mr Coveney on this. I think it is very important that the protection beef herds and dairy herds are implemented. Badgers are nice looking animals but do spread TB and it is a real dilemma for farmers. Action has to be taken in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Soon the irish government plans to spend 70 million on killing badgers to prevent the spread of tb. The methods used are snares which are on a par with animal traps in africa! The animals starve to death slowly often. The thing is this method does nothing to reduce the amount of tb infected cattle! Scotland dont practice culls and they have a lot less tb infected cattle than ireland!!

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0213/1224311684912.html

Tax payers shouldnt be funding this. Ireland seems t have a major problem with wildlife! First the golden eagles now this. Are we to mow down any animal that we dont like?
    From the article
    "since 2000 the number of “reactors” – cattle that have failed the mandatory test for bovine TB – has fallen from 40,000 to 18,500.

The Minister told Independent TD Maureen O’Sullivan that in Britain, which did not cull badgers now but would begin a pilot project in the autumn, the number of reactors had increased from 6,000 in 1999 to 33,000 in 2010."

Looks like it works to me, so good in fact that it is being introduced in Britain.

Hmmm this thread just got interesting...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

What's the natural enemy of the badger? Apart from us humans?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I would regard myself as a person who cares for animal welfare and I hate any type of cruelty directed at them. But because our environment is so unnatural the only way to control populations is by culls. They also cull the wild deer as well. Otherwise there wouldn't be a tree left in Dublin mountains.

So unless there is another way it is best they control the badger population by these means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

From the article

research shows that the density of badgers in Ireland is now only 10% of that in equivalent habitats in South West England; and yet, in 2006, Ireland slaughtered 9% more cattle with bovine TB than Great Britain even though the Irish national herd is only 56% the size of Britain's. Even in the north of ireland tb incidence is lower.

44leto wrote: »
    I would regard myself as a person who cares for animal welfare and I hate any type of cruelty directed at them. But because our environment is so unnatural the only way to control populations is by culls. They also cull the wild deer as well. Otherwise there wouldn't be a tree left in Dublin mountains.

So unless there is another way it is best they control the badger population by these means.

We dont need to cull the badger we have hardly any of them compared to most of europe! I agree with culling when needed also but this isnt needed and its costing the tax payer 70 million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I don't understand why this needs to be done - farmers vaccinate for TB in cattle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

We dont need to cull the badger we have hardly any of them compared to most of europe! I agree with culling when needed also but this isnt needed and its costing the tax payer 70 million.

Where did you get the 70 million figure from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Dr. Manhattan

From the article

Do we know for sure the fall is as a result of the badger culling? Over the period of the the fall, have all other factors remained the same? All hygiene, transport and veterinary practises? Were there comparable rises and falls in periods culling v non-culling?

Any passing veterinary epidimiologists able to enlighten?

biko wrote: »
    So what's your solution then OP?

All cattle owners should have a vacination program in place. Look at scotland it works. They have a lot less tb than us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

As long as Bodger gets left alone, I'll be a happy man!

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

Badger hair makes the finest shaving brushes, so the only advantage I can see is the cost of shaving brushes coming down

All cattle owners should have a vacination program in place. Look at scotland it works. They have a lot less tb than us.

oh so there's no obligation on them to vaccinate? It's just I know my dad does, so I assumed it was obligatory.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

dirtyden wrote: »

:D The badgers bank :D

sorry steddyeddy.

Do we know for sure the fall is as a result of the badger culling? Over the period of the the fall, have all other factors remained the same? All hygiene, transport and veterinary practises? Were there comparable rises and falls in periods culling v non-culling?

Any passing veterinary epidimiologists able to enlighten?

Not a vet biochemist is the best I can do for now I know a little about microbiology and Im sure a culling would locally decrease incidence of tb but outside the areas of culling incidents would increase.

oh so there's no obligation on them to vaccinate? It's just I know my dad does, so I assumed it was obligatory.

Yes I have a relation who does to. It isnt only vaccination. Scottish farmers use new farming methods which helps eradicate tb.

dirtyden wrote: »

http://examiner.ie/business/farming/bovine-tb-badgers-and-buyers-beware-175735.html

Thats what the department spends on tb control.

So even if you absolutly hate animals surely the fact that were wasting 70 million on this is galling to people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

They also cull the wild deer as well. Otherwise there wouldn't be a tree left in Dublin mountains.
    But there would be a plentyful supply of free venison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

I wonder do they taste good, the badgers that is not the bankers.

dvpower wrote: »
    But there would be a plentyful supply of free venison.

They actually take them off the mountain when they cull them, but I don't know what they do with the carcass. I would imagine they sell it somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I saw this thread and I thought it was about haircuts.

70 million on wasted haircuts?

:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Soon the irish government plans to spend 70 million on killing badgers to prevent the spread of tb.

Is the €70m what they plan to spend or what they have already spent?.
    Is this figure for badger culls or for the TB control program in general?
    Is it a once off cost or an annual cost?

The figures you're giving us here are a bit all over the shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

How about we start culling farmers? They've been spreading fianna failism for decades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Dr. Manhattan

Bambi wrote: »
    How about we start culling farmers? They've been spreading fianna failism for decades.

Of all the animals I thought might start the fightback, Bambi wasn't even on the list :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Bambi wrote: »

Bear traps, right beside the slurry pits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

I prefer beaver.

I wouldnt mind trapping some later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

The methods used are snares which are on a par with animal traps in africa! The animals starve to death slowly often.

I call shenanigans on all of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

El Weirdo wrote: »

A trap on the arse is what you get for your TB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Too much culchie stuff in this thread, double dutch to me :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,692 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

OP you completely undermine your credibility when you state
    Soon the irish government plans to spend 70 million on killing badgers to prevent the spread of tb

and then link to an Irish Times article which does not mention the figure you state anywhere. The 70 million is spent on a comprehensive TB eradication programme, among other diseases, which has been on going for many years and does NOT represent a badger killing budget as you imply. Your post is inaccurate and misleading.

You should change the title thread to Ireland spends 70 million on disease control in animals, or would this not suit your agenda?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement

I call shenanigans on all of this.

Which part? The snares? Or the method of death resulting from snares?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Look at AU, the government have to cull thousands of kangaroos each year as they are viewed as pests.
    I didnt think badgers were viewed as pests here, as you dont really see them round and about.

gurramok wrote: »
    Too much culchie stuff in this thread, double dutch to me :mad:

What are you having a problem understanding?

What are you having a problem understanding?

When you start talking about those cow things us dubs are lost. You might as well talk about binomial equations.

When you start talking about those cow things us dubs are lost. You might as well talk about binomial equations.

:confused: it's an animal that can get a disease, you don't really need to know anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

:confused: it's an animal that can get a disease, you don't really need to know anything else.

I thought a cattle was used to boil water? :confused:

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Which part? The snares? Or the method of death resulting from snares?

The method of death. Snares are used (because Badgers are a] noturnal and b]fucking vicious) but "left to starve?"
    Get out.

Its a scary terrifying beast that can eat you, keep them down the sticks is what I say.

Ignore me I am just trolling.

But why are farmers reluctant to vaccinate here. I remember this debate during the last TB outbreak. I don't remember the reasons against.

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    OP you completely undermine your credibility when you state

and then link to an Irish Times article which does not mention the figure you state anywhere. The 70 million is spent on a comprehensive TB eradication programme, among other diseases, which has been on going for many years and does NOT represent a badger killing budget as you imply. Your post is inaccurate and misleading.

You should change the title thread to Ireland spends 70 million on disease control in animals, or would this not suit your agenda?

This year the disease eradication programme will employ 75 staff and cost €70 million — and there’s growing evidence that the money is wasted because badger culling doesn’t work

From the Irish examiner. 70 million has been allocated to disease control this year alone. Tb is the biggest infectious diseases in ireland so it makes sense that their spending a significant amount of that. My agenda is to prevent pointless cruelty and prevent a massive waste of money on a plan based on faulty science.

The method of death. Snares are used (because Badgers are a] noturnal and b]fucking vicious) but "left to starve?"
    Get out.

Are you joking?? How can a badger trapped in a snare aquire food, order take away?

• Advertisement
Advertisement