Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to Buy a good Accordian, help!

Options
  • 17-02-2012 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

hi all

I'm 25 and would like to start learning an instrument to play. Im a keen set dancer and am some way decent at it so ive being told.

Anyway I love the sound of the accordian and would love to learn to play it.

Anyone know what make I should buy (which is the best because I figure if I buy a proper one thne Im more inclinded to keep it up and not falter)

What kind of price should I expect to pay for a good accordian.

Thanks in advance and heres hoping I may be at fleadhs in the future playing and dancing!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Hi
    Where are you based and what kind are you looking for Piano or button key

• Registered Users Posts: 17 UsernameME

Im in Cork and looking a button one. Which is the best make and where do peo buy good ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

You know the music and you have the rhythm of it which is a great start.

This is exactly how I got into box playing. The first thing I did is buy a book in Waltons about learning how to play a B/C Box. I think it was by PJ Hearnon and it gets your head around how the diatonic set up on a button box works.

Only buy a B/C box. This is the standard box played by most box players.

I bought a new cheap chinese box to start off with. I'm left handed so I didn't want to spend a lot of money as I had it converted for a left handed player. It was cheap and cheerful bot not good.

I then bought an old Hohner Blackdot from an accordion repairer in Galway who tuned it and built it to my needs. Money well spent. Still playing it and still sounds good.

Have a look on this site http://www.allaboutaccordions.com/

It's run by Sean Garvey who is a box player and to my mind gives good impartial advice and probably has the biggest selection of accordions in the country. He has a youtube video on his site showing you all the stock and his prices are on the website.

There's plenty of secondhand boxes on adverts and donedeal if you feel brave enough to take the plunge.

Last but not least you need a good teacher. Where I learnt I was the youngest in my class (late 40's at the time) and progress was at the speed of the slowest learner (very slow). There was an emphasis on learning tunes as opposed to learning the instrument. I only discovered there was a second B note on the outside row when I went to a summer school given by another teacher.

Last get a garden shed. You'll be thrown out of the house with shouts of "stop making the racket" and can you only play one tune" but persevere and hopefully you'll be the one on stage playing for the dancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭reelkidmusic

I have a button accordion for sale at the moment. It is ideal for beginners and has been recently tuned. It is in B/C. Hohner black dot

These are very good accordions to start with. If you want more information about this one or simply would like some more advice send me a pm. I would be more than happy to help you out. I have been playing for nearly 15 years and regularly play for ceilis, etc.

Advertisement