Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Level Teaching

Options
  • 17-02-2012 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi, just wondering If I qualify to teach two subjects at second level, how can I qualify to teach another? And is it possible to keep a teaching job while qualifying in another?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

NisXoX wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering If I qualify to teach two subjects at second level, how can I qualify to teach another? And is it possible to keep a teaching job while qualifying in another?

Hi there,

This is the Feedback forum for is discussing issues relating to the site.

Your question is probably suited to the Teaching forum : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=621

• Registered Users Posts: 15 eoinseoighe12

Hi all,

I'm in 6th Year will be going to college next year. Therefore, I am in the process of deciding what I plan on studying. I've been constantly thinking about what I would like to do since TY really. I have narrowed down my choices to (1) Primary Teaching St. Pats/ NUI Maynooth OR (2) Irish and French Trinity OR UCD OR NUI Maynooth with the plan to go on and do Secondary School Teaching. My points range is 355 - 470.

I have thought about this long and hard and I know that teaching at either level is what I am passionate about and something I would look forward to developing a career in.

I obviously know that the current climate isn't the best for entering the profession..... lower pay of new recruits, more hours a week etc.... However, it is what I really, really want to; the work life balance suits my desire to do lots of travelling and I can pursue other sporting and voluntary activities which I am interested in. I am also very lucky to be inspired by such wonderful, young teachers in my school who I really look up to as something I aspire to be like - likewise for the teachers I had in primary school.

I have worked out that if I were to pursue (A) Primary Teaching I would graduate in June 2017 from St. Pats or (B) Secondary Teaching June 2019 when I complete the 2 year PGDE.

Also, with regards Primary teaching, would I have an advantage applying for posts given that I am a man and the ratio of male to female primary teachers is so low? I suspect I may have a better chance applying for jobs in the new schools to be built around the country in the next 5 years or so....

With regard to the new schools being built at both levels between now and 2017, as a newly qualified primary/ secondary teacher of Irish and French, would I have a good shot at a post in any of these schools?

For Irish and French as a combination for teaching, are my job prospects good? I have spoken to three of my teachers in the last week, and they specifically mentioned how there is such a high demand for Irish teachers (thats not the only reason why I want to study it, I love doing it in school!) that I would find it relatively easy to get a job.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and answer my questions - I would really appreciate some feedback from teachers at primary/ second level...

Thanks a million!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Hi Eoin,

I'm going to guess you didn't catch Tom's post above your own there - this is the Feedback forum, threads on here are used for giving feedback about Boards.ie-related issues :)

As per Tom's advice to the previous poster, your question is much better suited to the Teaching forum. Feel free to make a fresh thread in there and get all the advice you need, best of luck in the career choice & Leaving Cert

Danny

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement