Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't know where else to ask :(

• 17-02-2012 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

If my next door neighbour has their fire lightin, and their smoke is pourin into my sitting room through our fireplace, is that a problem on their side or our side?? I just had my chimney swept before Xmas and it was grand..

They said they have their fire lightin everyday, but this has never happened before.. I thought my house was on fire and it stinks now. They can't understand me :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

You will need to establish if your getting a downdraft from the chimney in which case a back draft cowl will prevent this

or

If there is a common chimney with 2 flues joining higher up(doubt this)

or if there is a common chimney with 2 flus and a crack has developed.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 dmg11234

You will need to establish if your getting a downdraft from the chimney in which case a back draft cowl will prevent this

or

If there is a common chimney with 2 flues joining higher up(doubt this)

or if there is a common chimney with 2 flus and a crack has developed.

Thank you, how would I find this out? Get the chimney sweep out again?

To be honest if your shareing or the like it could be established by yourself by the age of the house.

How old is the house.

If you go outside and look at the smoke you will see the backdraft pulling it down the chimney.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 dmg11234

To be honest if your shareing or the like it could be established by yourself by the age of the house.

How old is the house.

If you go outside and look at the smoke you will see the backdraft pulling it down the chimney.

It's dark out and there's no lamplight, and they put their fire out now. The house is about 12 years old I think

dmg11234 wrote: »
    It's dark out and there's no lamplight, and they put their fire out now. The house is about 12 years old I think

Your not going to be shareing the chimney flue then. Its unlikely there is a crack between 2 flu;s so my first thought without seeing it is a backdraft from the chimneys. Are your pots beside each other?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Have you any vents in the Sitting room?

Advertisement