Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British bulldog

• 17-02-2012 10:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭

We have a British bulldog that is ten months old. He's a very playful dog but doesn't know his own strenghts.

The issue at the moment is when someone new visits the house he becomes hyper and jumps up on them. Now, he's only trying to be nice but he had big, tough paws on him and can easily hurt.

if we shout and him he just runs away or around us and back to the visitor, trying to jump on them again. We have resolved to locking him into the utility room for a few minutes until he calms down.

Any ideas how to treat this better?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Locking him away until he calms down is a good way to approach it in my opinion. Although I'd suggest you put him behind a baby gate so he can still see out. What I tend to do is crate them when a visitor arrives and when they are used to someone else being here I'll let them out. If they jump up or are over friendly, back in for a few seconds. Repeat until the dog learns that jumping on a visitor means being put to bed. A few seconds is enough I think.

You can also give guests a few treats and have them get your dog to sit for a treat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The way I trained mine not to jump was by turning my back on them when they jumped. Keep doing it until they get give up and stand or sit, then pet and praise. Keep repeating until they twig that jumping means they're ignored and sitting means they get attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

We have a British bulldog that is ten months old. He's a very playful dog but doesn't know his own strenghts.

The issue at the moment is when someone new visits the house he becomes hyper and jumps up on them. Now, he's only trying to be nice but he had big, tough paws on him and can easily hurt.

if we shout and him he just runs away or around us and back to the visitor, trying to jump on them again. We have resolved to locking him into the utility room for a few minutes until he calms down.

Any ideas how to treat this better?
    yes english bulldogs can be a hand full,i am on my third,to stop him jumping at visitors you need to tell them ,to ignore the dog then stand between your bully and the visitor with your palms out, after a couple of times your pup will get the message,my bully is now 14 months old,

Advertisement