Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DoE testing - The Last Word

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Bad luck, but I suppose that at the end of the day it was to be expected.

Not too difficult or expensive to get these things fixed which is a good thing.

Back in May, nailer8 posted a piece regarding changes to tests.

Here's the latest that I've just received from the RSA.

In the attachment I really like the piece that states that test are due on the anniversary of registration, this is compulsary. It then goes on to tell you how to change the date!.

Dear motor caravan stakeholders,

As you are aware Motor Caravans are tested at CVR Test Centres because the facilities at these centres are better suited to testing this type of vehicle, as they are typically built on a light goods vehicle chassis and come in a broad spectrum of types and sizes, many of which are too heavy, long or high to fit on the vehicle lifts used for carrying out the under body inspections in the NCT test lane.

From 27th March 2013, responsibility for commercial vehicle testing in Ireland transferred to the RSA from the Local Authorities. This means that the RSA is now responsible for the authorisation and supervision of the CVR test operators and testers.

As part of the CVR reform programme there are a number of changes coming into place throughout 2013. Since the scope of CVR testing centres includes Motor Caravans, the changes and benefits that affect motor caravan owners are those that relate to testing, planned for autumn 2013. The key changes and benefits are outlined in the attached document. For further information please visit [URL="mhtml:{E76ACC60-FC2C-4310-81C0-0B264AF6859B}mid://00000319/!x-usc:http://www.cvrt.ie/"]www.CVRT.ie[/URL]. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards

CVT Admin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

Hi all.
    My van is a 03 reg. Van was tested last year ( march 2012 )
    I thought that vans less than 10yrs old at time of testing got a 2 yr cert? If im wrong then van is 3 mts out and needs testing asap to ensure we get the new doe disc
    Can anybody set me straight please

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Malta1 wrote: »
    Hi all.
    My van is a 03 reg. Van was tested last year ( march 2012 )
    I thought that vans less than 10yrs old at time of testing got a 2 yr cert? If im wrong then van is 3 mts out and needs testing asap to ensure we get the new doe disc
    Can anybody set me straight please

Cheers

What is the expiry date of the cert.

In the early days of testing last year 'vans entitled to a two year cert were only being given one year certs, this was due to the proper admin not being in place when testing became law.
    However, later on when the admin caught up the one year cert was exchanged for a two year one, but you had to go to the local motor tax office and ask for the exchange, it was not done automatically.

If you haven't exchanged your one year cert why not try now, you have nothing to loose. If they wont do it then you will just have to get a test done.

The date of original registration of the 'van is also important, depending on exactly when it was it might not be over ten years old yet.

BTW, it the 'van is over 3,500kg GVW and you were charged the HGV price (€13) for the cert at the tax office, late admin changes again :rolleyes:, you are entitled for a refund as the correct price for motor caravans is €6 irrespective of GVW.

First do as niloc says and check date on cert that you have and check date of vehicles original registration.

If you're still not sure then, on the basis that all current info might not have reached the Motor Tax offices yet, and if it has they might not have had time to figure it out, my suggestion would be to ring the RSA in Ballina.

As of last year my camper is still being tested, and receiving a pass cert, in Aug. despite 1st reg being in Oct. So we know they haven't got their act together yet.

• Advertisement

Van first registered in Germany in Oct 2003 and first registered in Ireland in 2005.
    DOE conducted early March 2012
    Now to talk nicely to Motor Tax

Cheers

Van first registered in Germany in Oct 2003 and first registered in Ireland in 2005.
    DOE conducted early March 2012
    Now to talk nicely to Motor Tax

Cheers

Forget about when it was registered here in Ireland. That was actually the second registration of the vehicle.
    Second item(B) on your reg docu. should read Oct 2003. That is the date to go by.

You should definitely have been issued with a 2 year cert last March.
    Your camper is still not 10 years old. End of story.
    Don't let them tell you anything different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭AutostratusEB

I'm thinking of leaving our MH in Spain for the winter. Thing is, DOE is due March 2014 and I would like to bring MH back sometime in May/June and get DOE done in advance of end-June tax date. Apart from possibly being pulled by le gardai between Wexford & Galway on way home for lack of DOE cert anyone see any other pitfalls on the continent with this approach?
    Obviously I know DOE will probably be backdated to March but any advantage in maybe getting another DOE done this August?
    A

Make sure you cover your tyres from the sun before you abandon her. Also the Spanish Police are renowned for causing distress to foreign vehicle owners after 3 month's or so, I guess you''ll be ok leaving it somewhere, they can't stop you if you aren't driving.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055570425
    see post #10 onwards

Forget about when it was registered here in Ireland. That was actually the second registration of the vehicle.
    Second item(B) on your reg docu. should read Oct 2003. That is the date to go by.

You should definitely have been issued with a 2 year cert last March.
    Your camper is still not 10 years old. End of story.
    Don't let them tell you anything different.

Hi All

Quick update, rang Motor Tax and explained situtation....sent old DOE cert to the person that I was chatting to and new DOE cert returned......now the proud owner of a 2014 Cert :)

Cheers

• Advertisement

Hi All

Quick update, rang Motor Tax and explained situtation....sent old DOE cert to the person that I was chatting to and new DOE cert returned......now the proud owner of a 2014 Cert :)

Cheers

Well done.

You just have to put your foot down with a firm hand:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 qwertyphobia1

Anyone have experience with the testing centers around Dundalk. I think the Iveco place out the old Dublin rd does them?

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

I hate to post this. I really do. I was always clamouring for the introduction of a mandatory MH test, even when others weren't. I was sick of seeing MHs with brakes and suspension in rag order, and merrily driving around on cheap insurance. "The DOE will put a stop to that!" Sez I to myself. Hmmmm......

In the last few weeks , I've seen MHs with rotten sections of brake pipe, leaking shocks, fecked wishbone bushings, leaking brake cylinders, seized brake calipers, scabby discs, worn ball joints, fecked top mounts, tracking way away off...... And all with DOE. From all over the country. So be forewarned, some DOEs are more equal than others ....
    God help everyone when the RGII get the gas testing introduced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭nailer8

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    some DOEs are more equal than others ....

Sadly this has always been the case for DOE testing and while tests are carried out by humans there will always be some element of it. In fairness though testing standards and uniformity are improving massively at the moment. Since the RSA took over CVR (DOE) testing from the local authorities this year audit frequencies and severity have increased.
    An outside 3rd party Bureau Veritas have also been employed to carry out audits.
    In addition all test centres now operate to ISO 9001
    In the near future further improvements are taking place.
    Additional tester CPD training.
    New CoVIS test centre software
    Test Centre Risk Indicator (penalty points for test centres).
    RSA linked test lane CCTV & ANPR

Have faith we are getting better!

All that aside nobody should buy a vehicle on the strength of a DOE/CVR cert. Get a mechanic to check it out.

I agree, not all are dodgy! Our 2 local guys, outside Birr and Portumna, let nothing slide, and rightly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

My DOE cert is only for six months - to April 2014 - they told me that this is normal for a vehicle from outside the state. Is it?

Aren't all vehicles, initially, from "outside the state"? :confused:

Only reason I can think of is that perhaps your vehicle reaches its 10th birthday then? and changes from a 2 year to a 1 year test period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

It is over 10 years old. April doesn't make any sense - effectively it was brought into the state in June when I started the process of changing it to Irish reg. April is not the anniversary of its first registration either here or in the UK.

It can't really be brought into line with anything as it has not been tested here before. I would have assumed that it's anniversary should be July if anything which is the date that revenue accepted my application to bring it in without paying VRT. It was registered by revenue in July 2013.

The rule is anything without a valid CRW which expired in the last 12 months gets a 6 month CRW cert.
    I hadn't thought of imports before now but the rule appears to apply to them too.
    I checked the test centre and we had a case of an imported vehicle last week and he got a 6 month cert too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

Over on the classics section there is this thread that claims DOE testing is going to come in for vintage commercial vehicles. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057118499

Anyone know if this is true? I reclassified my 1979 camper as vintage on it's 30th birthday and pay vintage tax and insurance (SORNed at the moment though). I'm concerned about windows not having the right standards marks etc moreso than it's mechanical condition as it's in the middle of a full rebuild.

I'm fairly sure that the answer is yes, but your best bet is to look through the RSA web site or to 'phone them in Ballina for confirmation.

From the RSA/CVRT link Nailer posted....

CRW FAQs

"1. Are there any changes to test anniversary dates / validity period of a CRW for vehicles?
    The current legal obligation for commercial vehicles to be tested annually, on the anniversary of the date of their first registration remains.
    Motor caravans must be tested on the fourth anniversary of first registration and thereafter every two years until the vehicle is ten years old, after which annual testing applies. Motor Caravans registered prior to 1st January 1980 are exempt from testing.

Grand so :)

The above posting is, obviously, correct.

I made copious notes whilst talking with the RSA during the test set up period and, reading back through them, it seems there was some talk of either doing away with the no test or changing to "over 30 year old vehicles" being exempt, as I believe it is in the U.K. This would have suited my 1986 camper in a couple of years time.

But no, they left things as they were for cars and included campers. Not so good for me:(.

1980 is the cut off date for cars too, 1980-1984 cars are classics as regards tax but must do yearly NCTs.

shagman wrote: »
    1980 is the cut off date for cars too, 1980-1984 cars are classics as regards tax but must do yearly NCTs.

Correct, and as I said, they left the 1980 rule as it was and added campers to it.

See the newer DOE rules have a few important changes , in that for your first DOE on an imported MH , or one that is a year or more out of date , you just get a 6 month cert.

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    See the newer DOE rules have a few important changes , in that for your first DOE on an imported MH , or one that is a year or more out of date , you just get a 6 month cert.

In typical irish fashion we make a new rule send out a circular and then decide not to stick to it.
    I dont know why but if you have an imported vehicle and only get a 6 month cert, you can ring the rsa and complain and they will change it for a 12 month cert.
    No idea why but it is happening.

Note: This is only the import rule.
    If you are late for your test date by 6 months and get a 6 month cert they wont do anything if you complain.

This really goes to show that the test has very little to do with road safety, more to do with money.

If a test shows that your vehicle is fit to be on the road, on the day that it's tested, it should receive a full year or two year cert. . Why on earth can't they get it right :confused:.

• Advertisement

They want to follow the same rules as the NCT.
    Also they want to penalise operators who don't test their vehicles on time, or at the least take away the financial benefit to an operator that doesn't keep his fleet tested.
    At present up to 20% of commercial vehicles are out of CVR/DOE at any one time.
    Its definitely a money thing but its also fairness. The compliant owner shouldnt pay more often than an uncompliant owner.

Advertisement