Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sole trader advantages

Options
  • 17-02-2012 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Im looking to set up a small business that sells goods. I looked into becoming a sole trader and it seems easy enough but what are the main advantages for me. Can I claim tax back on goods i buy. I just cant see any reason to going to the bother of registering as a sole trader so any info would be appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭smeharg

Sean5690 wrote: »
    Im looking to set up a small business that sells goods. I looked into becoming a sole trader and it seems easy enough but what are the main advantages for me. Can I claim tax back on goods i buy. I just cant see any reason to going to the bother of registering as a sole trader so any info would be appreciated...

You've 2 options:
    Operate as a sole-trader;or
    Operate as a limited company.

You can start straight away as a sole-trader with little or no fuss. You may need to register your business name and you'll need to tell Revenue that you are self employed.

Setting up a limited company is more complicated, takes longer, and costs more.

As a sole-trader you'll pay tax on your business profits. Your profit is calculated by deducting your business expenses from your profits. There are some expenses that you can't deduct, though.

A company pays tax on its profits in much the same way, and you pay tax on any money the company pays you.

If the business's total sales exceed €70k in any year it must register for VAT.

This is a VERY simple overview of some of the issues involved in starting a business. You should seek professional advice.

Advertisement