Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mixed instructions?

Options
  • 17-02-2012 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi,

I've had two different instructors who've given me conflicting advice re. use of the handbrake.

One told me to use it consistently anytime I stop the car, eg. at traffic lights, pedestrian crossings etc.
    The other said only to use it when parking or stopping on a hill, otherwise I'll be penalised.

Can anyone advise as to which is better for the test?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

As a rough rule of thumb, use the handbrake if you are on a hill, or if a pause becomes a wait. There's certainly no need to use the handbrake everytime you stop - if you are only stopped briefly, and you aren't on a hill, then the footbrake alone may be perfectly sufficient!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

I was taught to use handbrake always as well, to be honest, I am pretty comfy with that. But now as I hear you will get penalised, so I don't use it? Or is there no specific rule?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

On a hill is probably the most likely time you will need to use the handbrake. There is no need to use it all the time except when there is a fall of ground during slow moving traffic or if you feel that the car might roll back while at a junction, stopping at a yield sign before going on the roundabout, pulling out and reversing whilst there might be a fall of ground.

Another occasion is at the traffic lights if you are a couple of cars down or if the lights are very very slow, or if the traffic is very slow moving that you are stopped a while and for a lot of the time best to use the handbrake so as not to roll back.

And don't forget release your handbrake pull it down before moving out and when at 1st gear, and pull it up when after you have stopped and parked the car. You may need to press the button on the top to release the handbrake.

There is no specific rule but the general consensus is that you really only use the handbrake when on a hill/stopped on a hill and in traffic and at the lights.

Generally the footbrake is enough for most occasions when stopping but use the handbrake on a hill most of the time especially if its very steep but if it isn't and its a hill with just a fall of ground that isn't much of a hill, I still recommend to use the handbrake as you could still roll back. If you ever feel the car is about to roll back use your handbrake and your footbrake.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

There is a happy middle ground between what your two instructors have said. A rule that some go by would be, if you reckon you are going to be stopped for three seconds or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Beesand

I'll try to strike a balance between the two and hope that suffices on the day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

Beesand wrote: »
    I'll try to strike a balance between the two and hope that suffices on the day!

The testers are actually very lenient with regards to the handbrake. The only time you have to use it is on the hill start, but if you don't use it while stopped and the car rolls you will be penalised, possibly even a Grade 3 fault.

As other posters have said, use it if stopped for a while especially at traffic lights, but u don't have to use it everytime you stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

My reckoning is that if you're going to be stopped for more than 5 seconds or you're stationary on an incline you should apply the handbrake. Sitting at traffic lights you should always put on handbrake - holding your foot on the brake isn't securing the vehicle and can dazzle the driver behind if it's a dull-rainy day.

Advertisement