Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting while on social welfare

Options
  • 17-02-2012 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

I need help here. Is it possible to rent anywhere while on social welfare? I have applied to many residence but getting same reply off all. They dont except people on social welfare. I am getting 188 a week I am looking at places 50-70 a week. Why should it matter if I am on social welfare. I understand sometimes they might not trust but how do I get accross that they can trust. I have enough for the rent why wont they rent to me? I am in desperate need for a place please help. Any advice much appreciated. What way should I approach and what I should say?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭yomamma

Anybody please?

Thanks in advance!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭someuser905

tick the box that says 'accept rent allowance' in daft search

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

At what stage do you you get told no? If it is after viewings, maybe you can try to present yourself better?

What kind of places are you looking at? You may have better luck sub letting a room from a primary tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I would have thought with so many properties out there that a Landlord somewhere would take your money off you.

Does your local council housing dept not have a list available? Pop in and tell them your plight. May help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

They say Irish people are very racist and they are right, they are even racist against their own people. just tick the box for accept rent allowance and wait and see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

Are you getting rent allowance or paying solely out of your €188? Either way I think that's pretty descrimatory,do you have anyone that can give you a character reff? I suppose some land lords ask for em these days incase there letting a psycho live in their house!lol! Once u can afford the place I don't see what the landlords prob is :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

To be fair, I rent out a house to a very nice tenant.

Before I got them, a few folk came to look at the house.

There was one couple in particular that the minute I answered the door to them, inside 10secs I knew there wasn't any chance of me giving my house to them to live in. Call that racist or uppity or whatever, but I would rather have less money to someone I trusted rather than my property wrecked or rent not paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 psychosismoses

yomamma wrote: »
    I need help here. Is it possible to rent anywhere while on social welfare? I have applied to many residence but getting same reply off all. They dont except people on social welfare. I am getting 188 a week I am looking at places 50-70 a week. Why should it matter if I am on social welfare. I understand sometimes they might not trust but how do I get accross that they can trust. I have enough for the rent why wont they rent to me? I am in desperate need for a place please help. Any advice much appreciated. What way should I approach and what I should say?

Thanks in advance!

The landlords that dont accept rent allowance are either one of the two ..ie they would prefer professionals to take residence in there property, or they are dodging tax and cant hand over there prsi to the dole office, with the form they have to fill. been looking for a place myself, and found that its much more rife these days that they dont accept rent allowance. times are hard so i guess they need to dodge tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

zenno wrote: »
    They say Irish people are very racist and they are right, they are even racist against their own people. just tick the box for accept rent allowance and wait and see.
    LLs don't want to be left in the lurch by some useless CWO not doing their job in an efficient manner usually, resulting in delayed payments to the tenant.

RS is a hassle that LLs in many places can just refuse (rural LLs may have no choice but to take RS tenants (who are usually decent people) but in Dublin anyway, it's not like there are a glut of properties going for rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1278493
    Thats the only property on Daft atm in Dublin that accepts rent allowance and is under the limit of 475e.
    What a kip :(
    Good luck OP, keep trying Daft/ Herald etc, I hope you find somewhere that is nice with a decent LL soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

zef wrote: »
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1278493
    Thats the only property on Daft atm in Dublin that accepts rent allowance and is under the limit of 475e.
    What a kip :(
    Good luck OP, keep trying Daft/ Herald etc, I hope you find somewhere that is nice with a decent LL soon.
    The end result of slashing the Rent supplement and expecting LLs of decent properties to simply reduce their rents has been borne out.

Government (not for the first time) thought they could fiddle with the market (in Dublin at least) by reducing RS and expecting all rents to magically fall to their defined levels.

Looks like LLs weren't so utterly dependent on RS payments in Dublin all along and only the absolute sh!tholes like this place will no receive state support via RS, oh the irony.

My own tenants are now in a very precarious position. They have to get me to reduce to 775 by end of December (not going down that low, cheapest comparable properties on daft start at €950+) or find "alternative accommodation" and we all know, there is nothing available under the limits. I am attempting to get the house on the RAS scheme with the council (more for my tenants than myself) but if that doesn't happen, my tenants are out of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

murphaph wrote: »
    LLs don't want to be left in the lurch by some useless CWO not doing their job in an efficient manner usually, resulting in delayed payments to the tenant.

RS is a hassle that LLs in many places can just refuse (rural LLs may have no choice but to take RS tenants (who are usually decent people) but in Dublin anyway, it's not like there are a glut of properties going for rent.

I think tho, the OP isn't claiming RA, just that they are receiving benefits and going to pay the rent out of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

I'm sure the op has got sorted since February!

Advertisement