Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best treatment for moisture in block shed

• 18-02-2012 2:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭

As the heading states having trouble with moisture in a block shed that was built 4-5 years ago.

I know its coming up from the floor, not puddles or anything like that just damp air and its attacking the woodwork on door frames etc. The foundation had been lined with damp proofing but it has obviously not kept enough of it out. Concrete walls are now sitting on this floor so pulling it down is not really possible. I have a drum kit in it and its showing signs of early rusting.

Would I be better off leaving a dehumidifier in the shed at all times or maybe put a heater on timer to come on couple of hours a day just to dry up the excess damp and keep it from attacking the metal ? I know its not ideal but really do not want to get hacking into the floor again after all it is only a shed for storage and my drums.

Appreciate all the help folks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Moisture may be coming up through the floor, if there is no DPC.
    You have DPC under the blocks but possibly not the floor, have you enough depth to put down a sheet of plastic, and pour say an inch of concrete, to form a new floor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

martinn123 wrote: »
    Moisture may be coming up through the floor, if there is no DPC.
    You have DPC under the blocks but possibly not the floor, have you enough depth to put down a sheet of plastic, and pour say an inch of concrete, to form a new floor

That's been done already unfortunately ! Concrete was initially laid with DPC and another layer of DPC and a concrete floor again. The place is just naturally damp anyway with not much light, trees directly behind she'd and gets very little heat etc. another layer on top again just isnt do able for me.

Maybe I'm looking for a quick fix ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Maybe it needs ventilation, can you open a window/door a few hours a day to aerate it? It will help dry it out

BUACHAILL wrote: »
    That's been done already unfortunately ! Concrete was initially laid with DPC and another layer of DPC and a concrete floor again. The place is just naturally damp anyway with not much light, trees directly behind she'd and gets very little heat etc. another layer on top again just isnt do able for me.

Maybe I'm looking for a quick fix ??

So from what you describe, its probably not moisture coming up through the floor, what are the walls like. Is the outside rendered, or can the water be seeping through the block walls, are there any windows, and what kind of door have you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

Thanks for the replies guys,

All exterior walls are plastered and sealed ! walls are insulated and dry. The only place possible for moisture is roof or floor. Sorry I should mention that the room itself is about 10x8 and fully insulated and sound dampened so there would be a strong possibility that it could need airing ! Its not just airing though, there is wet seeping into the wood on the door frames at floor level, not bad but still wet.

To be honest its just the fact the damp is rusting my kit, otherwise although I know its not great wouldn't really bother me as its just a shed.

Simply want something to dry the air out so I can keep kit in there without worry of rusting etc !

Thanks Again

• Advertisement

Sounds like you have badly fitted door, allowing some moisture in.
    Then as the walls are insulated and sound-proofed, there is no ventilation to change out the damp air.
    Can you fit ventilation in the walls,
    Other than that you have a leak in the roof, same problem, no ventilation, causing damp.

Advertisement