Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

problems with sound systems

• 18-02-2012 3:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭

I have a few issues with an old surround sound system that I want to connect up to my HDTV. I cant get any sound out of it and it does work, just not sure what connections I should be using. I would like to have it working when playing the PS3 but I have that connected up to the tv via hdmi and no sound comes out of surround sound. Is there a way of getting sound out of this system when PS3 is connected to TV via hdmi?

Also I have the same problem with my hi fi which doesn't have a hdmi cable either so cant get any sound when connecting up other leads to TV, There is an optical cable connection on the hi fi but cant get any sound.

Solutions?

I have attached a few photos of my surround sound system connections, hi fi connections and tv connections. Both the system and the hi fi are Tevion and the TV is a Samsung.

Cheers,

Ideally this video in the link below kind of explains what I want to do, have TV and PS3 connected and have sound out through the Hi Fi system or surround sound system, one will do if I can get it going.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTJJTS5InHU

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

here are the remainder of photos.

cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

does your ps3 sound play on your tv speakers ? there is usually one hdmi input with sound return on it, then you need to find the audio out phono connections on your tv, connect them to your audio in on your hi-fi ( beside you sub out connections on last pic) that should work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

dharn wrote: »
    does your ps3 sound play on your tv speakers ? there is usually one hdmi input with sound return on it, then you need to find the audio out phono connections on your tv, connect them to your audio in on your hi-fi ( beside you sub out connections on last pic) that should work
    Not even, what's plugged into the optical in on the amp?
    The ps3 will output over optical if hdmi audio is disabled. It'll even down mix bluray hd audio to the highest standards quality 1.5 mbit 6.1.
    of course if you only have one optical input and it's in use, you'll either need a splitter or unplug plug as required.

does your ps3 sound play on your tv speakers ?

Yeah it does as I have the hdmi cable connected from ps3 to tv. Just can't transfer sound to the hi fi.

Idleater wrote: »
    Not even, what's plugged into the optical in on the amp?
    The ps3 will output over optical if hdmi audio is disabled. It'll even down mix bluray hd audio to the highest standards quality 1.5 mbit 6.1.
    of course if you only have one optical input and it's in use, you'll either need a splitter or unplug plug as required.

Tried plugging optical cable from ps3 into hifi and I changed settings in ps3 to optical and changed them back again because there was no sound.

• Advertisement

your tv should have analogue audio out which you connect to your audio in on your hi-fi

where does the optical out on your hi-fi go to ?

your tv should have analogue audio out which you connect to your audio in on your hi-fi

In the back of the tv there is a blue green and red connection and left of that there is a red and white connection, labelled AUDIO it doesnt say if its IN or OUT. At the side of the tv there is a yellow white red AV connection. That's all the coloured connections. I plugged two cables into the AUDIO red and white connections on the back of tv and joined it to the AUDIO IN Connection on hi fi. Still didn't get anything. Tried sound settings on tv too but can't get it working. Should I be getting sound through the AUX function on hi fi am I correct?

where does the optical out on your hi-fi go to ?

I joined it up to tv first. Didn't work. Then I joined it up to PlayStation and it didn't work either. Messed about with sound settings on both devices but couldny get anything. Can't understand it at all. I noticed that I can plug earphones into back of tv and sound is carried through the earphones. Could a get a headphone jack adapter with a red and white conections and plug two wires from that into the AUDIO IN section of hi fi? Should work shouldn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,104 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

teednab-el wrote: »
    I joined it up to tv first. Didn't work. Then I joined it up to PlayStation and it didn't work either. Messed about with sound settings on both devices but couldny get anything. Can't understand it at all. I noticed that I can plug earphones into back of tv and sound is carried through the earphones. Could a get a headphone jack adapter with a red and white conections and plug two wires from that into the AUDIO IN section of hi fi? Should work shouldn't it?

Yes.

The blue green red; red white connectors are for component video and sound input for gear that doesn't have hdmi - same goes for the yellow, red and white, which are for composite video input.

The headphone socket should work fine to provide sound to the SSS. You will probably have to turn the volume of the headphone output up to about 80% to get it loud enough. Don't turn it up 100% as the output could distort.

• Advertisement

dont know at this stage you seem to be on the right ,track headphone to phono should work i just notice that the out connections seem to be grouped together and the in connections grouped together so where it says video in and there are audio in connections in that group they are probably audio in also

cnocbui wrote: »
    teednab-el wrote: »

Yes.

The blue green red; red white connectors are for component video and sound input for gear that doesn't have hdmi - same goes for the yellow, red and white, which are for composite video input.

The headphone socket should work fine to provide sound to the SSS. You will probably have to turn the volume of the headphone output up to about 80% to get it loud enough. Don't turn it up 100% as the output could distort.

Think I might just do that but must purchase one of those adapters during the week. Il try and get sound to the hifi first and then all going well, I might try and hook up the surround sound from hifi.

your last comment has confused me.. from hi-fi to surround ? what is your surround system, does it have its own amp, if so you should not need the hi- fi

your last comment has confused me.. from hi-fi to surround ? what is your surround system, does it have its own amp, if so you should not need the hi- fi

Don't know, just had a thought of linking them but not doing it now don't worry. Far too complicated and no need and wouldn't work anyway. Il try the SSS and get that to work when I get cables. Given up on the hi fi at this stage.

Il let you know how get on, when I get cables.

Advertisement