Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alan carr book

Options
  • 18-02-2012 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

So the weirdest thing happened to me while reading his book for the 2nd time il add,on the 1st attempted about 6yrs ago i stayed off the fags 6mths maybe but fell off the wagon:mad:.. So i decided to have another read as i have been thinking of nothing else,everytime id spark up id be pissed off was smoking about 15 a day plus a few js at nyt, so anyway i get to chapter 37 i spark up i go to inhale i was nearly sick:eek: took another pull same thing happened so i left it an hour took out another fag & would u believe it happened again:eek:.. its as if i was 13 all over again when i first tried 1:eek:.. so i took my box of 15 weeds with lighter and fukt em in the bin :D:D:D im not letting that poision touch my lungs again;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mike.l

lester76 wrote: »
    So the weirdest thing happened to me while reading his book for the 2nd time il add,on the 1st attempted about 6yrs ago i stayed off the fags 6mths maybe but fell off the wagon:mad:.. So i decided to have another read as i have been thinking of nothing else,everytime id spark up id be pissed off was smoking about 15 a day plus a few js at nyt, so anyway i get to chapter 37 i spark up i go to inhale i was nearly sick:eek: took another pull same thing happened so i left it an hour took out another fag & would u believe it happened again:eek:.. its as if i was 13 all over again when i first tried 1:eek:.. so i took my box of 15 weeds with lighter and fukt em in the bin :D:D:D im not letting that poision touch my lungs again;)

Cant say I got quite that reaction but it certainly helped.... congrats on being a non smoker!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

mike.l wrote: »
    Cant say I got quite that reaction but it certainly helped.... congrats on being a non smoker!

Thanks mike im delighted to be off them:)

Had to check back on this thread to see how i was doin,had forgotten how hong im a non smoker its 10wks or 70odd days go me:).. Im in the gym i feel fantastic so to anyone thinking about getting free from the addiction GO FOR IT you to can escape from the filthy habit:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Cart

Well done lester. Am on my 4th day,not finding it too bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Fair play lester. I read "The Easy Way" before and was back on them within 24 hours, so something didn't click. Then I got the audio version of it on mp3 and have been free since (coming up to two years). I suppose it doesn't matter what way it works, so long as it works for ya! Delighted for your success though :)

• Advertisement

Cart wrote: »
    Well done lester. Am on my 4th day,not finding it too bad

welldone cart keep at it dont let the nicotine win;)

Ape X wrote: »
    Fair play lester. I read "The Easy Way" before and was back on them within 24 hours, so something didn't click. Then I got the audio version of it on mp3 and have been free since (coming up to two years). I suppose it doesn't matter what way it works, so long as it works for ya! Delighted for your success though :)

Thanks ape x loving the new me in the few wks ive been off them have put enough for a wks holiday to egypt end of may so not only do i feel 100% better but im seeing what that 80-90euro a wk can be better spent elsewhere:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

can I ask I now off the cigs 4 days and doing Ok but was thinking of picking up this book just as a extra bit of help is it any good if you have already quit as I hear your are meant to carry on smoking while reading the book ????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

campo wrote: »
    can I ask I now off the cigs 4 days and doing Ok but was thinking of picking up this book just as a extra bit of help is it any good if you have already quit as I hear your are meant to carry on smoking while reading the book ????

Yup, you are supposed to smoke during it, for two reasons. Firstly, sometimes he talks about the smoke you're having at that moment, asks you to honestly say what's so nice about it, etc. And secondly, if you weren't meant to smoke during it, nobody would ever read it :pac:

Highly recommend reading it though so in a sense I'm saying to start smoking again :eek:. But only briefly, read it 6 months ago and became an instant non smoker when I finished 3 days later, no regrets, no pain. Best thing I've ever done (and easy too...so so eaaaassy;)). Those 4 days that feel okay, if the book works you won't have any okay days, every day will be a doddle (I sound like him now)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DebbieSilver

Hello!

I am was able to quit smoking one week ago after reading Allan Car book. Few my friends tell me about this self-motivation book and i found some nice reviews at http://www.asmoking.com/32-book-review-allan-car-easy-way-to-stop-smoking.html

Looks like this book works and I really not want to smoking anymore. But I have a lot of withdrawal effects now like cravings, headaches and even nightmares. Like I fighting with cigarettes, them not want me come away.

Is anyone have such withdrawal symptoms? May be some dietary supplements can help?

Best Regards,
    Debbie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 imnosaint

Congrats everyone,Id love to give them up.
    I have Numbness in my shoulders
    Pains in my legs
    Chest is Getting Wheezy
    Need i say anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

imnosaint wrote: »
    Congrats everyone,Id love to give them up.
    I have Numbness in my shoulders
    Pains in my legs
    Chest is Getting Wheezy
    Need i say anymore

Then do it. Its only yourself stopping yourself.

Need I say anymore?

Ive fallen off the wagon BIGTIME :mad:. After about 4mths off them i went on my holiday & on day 2 had alot to drink & of course i bought a pack & told myself next day ah im on holidays fuk it il quit once im bck home WRONG:mad:. So here i am again, today i went bck to the gym after 10wks & i need to get back on the wagon im some feckin clown altogether..

Ive fallen off the wagon BIGTIME :mad:. After about 4mths off them i went on my holiday & on day 2 had alot to drink & of course i bought a pack & told myself next day ah im on holidays fuk it il quit once im bck home WRONG:mad:. So here i am again, today i went bck to the gym after 10wks & i need to get back on the wagon im some feckin clown altogether..

Sorry to hear Lester76. Nothing else to do but get quitting again. Dont beat yourself too hard, it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

As Allen Carr himself says you need to keep repeating the mantra to yourself "Not even one". Maybe bring the book with you next time your on holidays! Good luck getting back on the wagon

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭dodgylegs

Sorry to hear that Lester. I've stopped for 6 weeks & 4 weeks this year & both times it was letting my guard down when I was out having a few beers. Both times about 2 weeks later I had gradually started fully smoking again.

What I'm trying to say is stop again straight away. Don't tell yourself you can smoke a few for a while seems though you've had some already.

There is no good in them whatsoever. It's just a nicotine fix, no real pleasure so why waste any more time on them. Also read back on your post from April, it was very positive.

Stopped smoking 8 days ago. I'm not going back this time.

J

Thanks guys i found this site to be a great help in the 1st place so im gonna start reading up on all the posts and read the book again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭remembering

best book ever! i did it backwards though as i was off them a week when i read it and its over 8 months now! i wont lie as i still really miss them when having a drink but it passes and the hangovers arent as bad either!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Dockington

I gave up many times over the past twelve years I have been smoking. I lasted off for 4 months on the champix, 6 months on Allen Carr book. the last time it was patches and I've been off them for a year and a half. Its not because of the patches or the book or whatever miracle cure comes out that you will succeed, those things will only help get you past the physical addiction. For me it was just the realisation that if I have one cigarette when drinking, when on holidays or whenever that I will be back on them 20-30 a day. I know its true because I have given up so many times and gone back on them by convincing myself that I will only have the one or that it was so easy to quit that I can do it again any-time.

So good luck and DONT trick yourself into just having one when drinking or on hols and DONT trick yourself into thinking how easy it was to give up this time with Allen Carr (or whatever your method of choice) that you will be able to do it again if you have that cigarette.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭remembering

Dockington wrote: »
    I gave up many times over the past twelve years I have been smoking. I lasted off for 4 months on the champix, 6 months on Allen Carr book. the last time it was patches and I've been off them for a year and a half. Its not because of the patches or the book or whatever miracle cure comes out that you will succeed, those things will only help get you past the physical addiction. For me it was just the realisation that if I have one cigarette when drinking, when on holidays or whenever that I will be back on them 20-30 a day. I know its true because I have given up so many times and gone back on them by convincing myself that I will only have the one or that it was so easy to quit that I can do it again any-time.

So good luck and DONT trick yourself into just having one when drinking or on hols and DONT trick yourself into thinking how easy it was to give up this time with Allen Carr (or whatever your method of choice) that you will be able to do it again if you have that cigarette.

i totally agree as i know even if i have one puff, im hooked again so have to be so careful when drinking as tempting as it is at the time

• Advertisement

i totally agree as i know even if i have one puff, im hooked again so have to be so careful when drinking as tempting as it is at the time

More agreement here too. I would just be too scared to even have one!!

I was at a wedding recently and outside in the sun I commented 'oh it used to be nice to have a cigarette and a glass of wine in the sun sometimes' and another guest said 'do you not get a day off at things like weddings?' - I was like, eh no, NEVER!!!!!!!! (in a good way lol!!)

Its taken me this long to try again,i have read the book again not the same result this time round so its cold turkey today.Woke up this morning feeling ****,i had made sure id have 1 left smoked it at 10am then hit the beach for a good blast of fresh air & a good walk.Feeling ok now roll on tomorrow:)

Day 10 feeling good back in the gym eating clean lots of water all good:D

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Day 10 feeling good back in the gym eating clean lots of water all good:D

Keep it going. You're past the worst of it. Remember that if you spot someone smoking and crave it, they crave what you've gone through a lot more.

Still going strong 18days & counting its getting easier:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12 zendo

Hi Lester, Well Done, be strong!

Just to give you some hope, I quit with Allen Carr's book 5 years ago and don't miss them, don't think about them and I am a happy out free person - away from cigarettes.

You can do it too!

Go Lester, go Lester, go Lester - youre doing great!!!!

Well done, you are now through the hardest part - yippee!!!

Still going strong just back frm having my teeth done 2grand i just dropped getting 4 crowns & all due to smoking :mad::mad: But you live & learn right so for all you ppl thinking of giving up DO IT & DO IT NOW

Started the book today.. Been a heavy smoker for 2 years now. Between 20 and 40 a day and upto 60 if I go out.. Marlboro Reds are $1 a pack and they're sold everywhere so it's way too easy. I do want to quit at some point but not really that mad on the idea yet.. I teach English and going out for a smoke with the other teachers is good for the chat and to drop the stress between classes.

What I'm wondering is do you only have one shot at the book? I can see myself falling back into the routine instantly since everyone smokes and you can smoke anywhere.. It's even my routine to smoke while riding my motorbike and my gf smokes the Reds aswell.

Thinking I should save the book for when I get out of such a difficult place to stop.. Ie. When I make it to an expensive country or one with a social stigma. Might just cut down to a lower amount now.. It's 11.53am and I've had about 8 lying in bed just because I've been thinking about it and reading the book. Not good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement