Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilmainham Restaurant - La dolce vita or Chinese

Options
  • 18-02-2012 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

hi -- I was wondering if people thought these restaurants in Kilmainham were any good:

- La Dolce Vita: Italian place inside Patriots Inn
    - Chinese Restaurant above pub near the roundabout on SCR just beside Rialto bridge

any thoughts on either place would be appreciated! thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Nope- neither amazing. Best bets are Juno's and Ryan's on Parkgate St. or Mick Wallace's place in Inchicore

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭amandausa

nice one! thanks a lot for the recommendations I will definitely check those places out instead..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Exactly what Dr Quirky said. Dolce Vita isn't great at all. The Chinese nearby is good, New Land (prob the best around) for take away only.

Enoteca Torino is Wallace's place.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,048 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

drquirky wrote: »
    Nope- neither amazing. Best bets are Juno's and Ryan's on Parkgate St. or Mick Wallace's place in Inchicore
    i'll second wallaces place....the most welcoming restaurant i've ever been in.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stevensi

I'd also recomend Wallace's place in Inchicore...one of the best pizza's i've had and a very reasonable price...

• Advertisement

Thanks all!

I walked by Enoteca Torino on Sunday to check it out and the place seems very nice indeed! Thanks again for the recommendations! Forgive my indescretion, but is the area safe to walk home from at night? I am only asking because I did see a few shady characters around there on Sunday mid day. I don't own a car and live about a 12 minute walk into Kilmainham.

I will also try take out from New Land -- I have been ordering from Dragon Kingdom which I have found to be pretty good. Still getting used to European Chinese cuisine and must say that although I do like it (I try something different every time so I can get a feel for which dishes I like best), I miss American Chinese cuisine from time to time :) I am always up for trying something new and different though and having a good place close to home is perfect! So thanks again.

amandausa wrote: »
    Thanks all!

I walked by Enoteca Torino on Sunday to check it out and the place seems very nice indeed! Thanks again for the recommendations! Forgive my indescretion, but is the area safe to walk home from at night? I am only asking because I did see a few shady characters around there on Sunday mid day. I don't own a car and live about a 12 minute walk into Kilmainham.

I will also try take out from New Land -- I have been ordering from Dragon Kingdom which I have found to be pretty good. Still getting used to European Chinese cuisine and must say that although I do like it (I try something different every time so I can get a feel for which dishes I like best), I miss American Chinese cuisine from time to time :) I am always up for trying something new and different though and having a good place close to home is perfect! So thanks again.

I live nearby and although inchicore village is full of scumbags, particularly around spar, i've never had any hassle, the staff of spar seem to get most of the hassle! I've never had takeout from newland though, however the cops are in there everynight getting takeout so they obviously like it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

You'll be fine walking. I'm originally form Inchicore and my folks (and the in laws) still live there. The walk from the Patriots/Royal Hospital down to the Wallace's place is very quiet. Lighting isn't great (if you're a bit nervous) but you're unlikely to meet more than the odd dog walker/runner until the village.

Wallace's place is fine BTW.

The area is fine. There's a few unsavory characters about the place but I wouldn't feel unsafe there at all....

The Italian is great and is normally pretty busy with a great atmosphere

Sounds great, thanks all!

I did notice a bit of a difference on my walk back the way you suggested Inchicore road (ie passing the Gaol and Patriots) as opposed to on the way there coming up Bulfin/Emmet road.

Also, good point about the cops -- they usually know the best places to stop for food!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Kumejima

New Land great for takeaway. Run by Vietnamese as opposed to Chinese so maybe thats got something to do with it.
    Again Wallaces place is really nice. Not sure if a lot of people know about the restaurant on Bulfin next to the bakery. Havent been in in a while but great value - €6.95 for a main meal during the day. Foods pretty tasty if not Chapter One standard and theyre pretty friendly. Shut during the evening though. Can't comment on any of the other Chinese takeaways but Papa Mios does a great pizza.
    And there's a really nice new cafe, the Lime Tree across from the Gaol but only open til 430.
    Anyone know if Rasa(m)? in Inchicore is good for takeaway?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭dMaN24

I've had chicken balls and beef chow mein from New Land once.
    Never again. Beef was spungy and sauce watery and the chickenballs i don't know why they call it that. Mashed chicken in batter more likely.

And walking around here is safe i'd say. Been out on many nights and stumble home. Not a soul in sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Kumejima wrote: »
    Anyone know if Rasa(m)? in Inchicore is good for takeaway?

Very good

They'll do you any main course [excluding prawn], any starter and a can for a tenner

Rasa is really nice but the location is lousy. It really is out of the way. I've heard a rumour that it may be shutting down soon which would be a shame as the area could do with more variety (far to many takeaways). I think if Rasa'a was on the main street it would do much better then it is now

i have to admit i'm a sucker for the kebabs in inchicore!! The 5 in one and aladdins are decent!! I've also tested the new indian "salt and pepper" it's pretty good too!

I have to agree with Aladdins for takeaway! I love the bbq chicken appetizer and the kebabs are nice too...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The Rose Palace at the roundabout in Rialto isn't great at all. The Keng Seng is just down from it and is better (or used to be anyway).

Advertisement