Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Phones how do u track them?

Options
  • 18-02-2012 1:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 204 ✭✭

had a i phone 4 and galaxy s 2 stolen. was told i can track them by imie but not sure how rang the phone networks and they said it wouldnt be anything to do with them. anyone know how?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Only if you have tracking software installed, and the phones haven't been wiped AFAIK..

Operators can block/blacklist them by IMEI.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭kirving

The phones can be tracked by the operator using IMEI, but it's only in extreme circumstances which I think requires a Garda warrant. Can certainly be done with a degree of accuracy depending on the cell size. Your phone would be within range of more cell masts in a city, so it could be tracked to within 50 meters say. In the county, this would be dramatically reduced to an area with a radius of kilometres.

"Find my iPhone" and "Samsung DIVE" are some of the apps provided by manufacturers which allow a user to track their own phone, but have to be set up in advance of it being lost. There are other apps for pretty much all Smartphone OS', but again, require installation in advance of the phone being stolen.

I used "Periodic" on N8 which allows me to find it providing it hasn't be totally wiped. something which your average scumbag wouldn't do in time I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

With the Galaxy S 2 you can try Plan B: '' 'find my phone' app that you download AFTER you lose your phone''

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.lookout.labs.planb&hl=en

Oh yeah! I forgot about remote install on the GS2. Only did it the other day too, sorry! Give it a shot anyway OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

Those apps are not realistic. Even if u do track your phone to someone standing in.Stephens green. There could be 20 people standing in the area where your phone is reported to be so what do u do? Wrestle them all to the ground until one confesses they have your phone? It's not gonna happen....

• Advertisement

mondeo wrote: »
    Those apps are not realistic. Even if u do track your phone to someone standing in.Stephens green. There could be 20 people standing in the area where your phone is reported to be so what do u do? Wrestle them all to the ground until one confesses they have your phone? It's not gonna happen....

No, wait till it starts moving or goes to a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

There was a thread on here recently where a guy had his phone stolen and remotely installed a tracking app, he then tracked it on a train journey to Carlow (IIRC) and from there to a housing estate. Unfortunately that's where the trail went cold, either the phone was switched off or the battery died, but a few minutes more would have pin-pointed the house it went into.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

The app that i use lets you set a unlock code remotely as well as track. You can also set off the siren once your at Stephens green to see who moves to pull the battery. Yep someone could pull the battery before you get there but unless they know how to rom it they can't get rid if the web remore controle. And even if you dont find your phone you can send a remote format command now and then just to piss em off.

Advertisement