Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staking bare root trees

Options
  • 18-02-2012 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭

Hoping to plant some Alder next weekend in back garden. They be around 5 foot.
    Should I stake them ? It is fairly exposed to south and west.
    I would always have staked my trees even the bare root apple ones planted last week.
    However the nursery suggest I just stake them with bamboo for first year ?
    I'd be worries about the wind

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

bamboo is pointless... if you're going to stake them use a short stake and tie them low down. The point is to stop the roots from being wind-rocked, not to stop the tree from bending.
    Alder are pretty tough natives though, if you're just slipping them into heavy ground you could probably get away without stakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

planetX wrote: »
    bamboo is pointless... if you're going to stake them use a short stake and tie them low down. The point is to stop the roots from being wind-rocked, not to stop the tree from bending.
    Alder are pretty tough natives though, if you're just slipping them into heavy ground you could probably get away without stakes.
    Thanks .
    I might get big stakes and cut them in half maybe. The stakes and ties are dearer than the trees

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

What is the tree size? If girth is < 6/8, then yes perhaps 10-15mm bamboo canes may suffice.

Garden centre grade tree sizes are typically 8/10 in which case a 50mm tree stake and an adjustable tree tie is required to secure the trees.

ive not actually seen them yet . coming from a local nursery that ive got other trees from. they are between 5 and 6 foot tall. id be inclined to stake them to be honest if its not going to do any harm. have to source smaller cheaper stakes than I usually use this week though

What's the minimum planting distance between alder trees ? And birch trees ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Northumbria

I don't know if I'd personally bother or not. I put in a few bare rooted trees last year and this year and I staked them. They don't usually need it, they're just for when we get the occasional gales and to give them an upright growth habit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I don't know if I'd personally bother or not. I put in a few bare rooted trees last year and this year and I staked them. They don't usually need it, they're just for when we get the occasional gales and to give them an upright growth habit.

Well I beg to differ about bare root/rootball trees not needing to be staked/secured.

By not staking/securing them,then the trees are subjected to movement of the trunks and rootballs from strong winds,and then they will become slanted and grow up slanted.:(

There are various methods or above ground staking/securing,and also below ground staking/securing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

paddy147 wrote: »
    Well I beg to differ about bare root/rootball trees not needing to be staked/secured.

By not staking/securing them,then the trees are subjected to movement of the trunks and rootballs from strong winds,and then they will become slanted and grow up slanted.:(

There are various methods or above ground staking/securing,and also below ground staking/securing.

bareroot natives are different - often you are just opening a slit with a spade and popping them in. Alder are tough as nails, I wouldn't bother with stakes at 5 ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Northumbria

planetX wrote: »
    bareroot natives are different - often you are just opening a slit with a spade and popping them in. Alder are tough as nails, I wouldn't bother with stakes at 5 ft.

Amongst the first trees to recolonise Ireland and Britain after the last Ice Age in fact and they're happy with cold and wet conditions.

Advertisement