Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Straight backed german shepherd breeders?

• 18-02-2012 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I am planning to get a german shepherd in a year or two so I have been scouring the internet for straight backed german shepherd breeders but cannot find any.
    My reason for choosing the straight backed is because I've been told that the arched backed GSD suffer immense pain when they're older, too the point where it's painful for them to walk or stand.
    So down to the point. Are there any GSD straight backed breeders in Ireland (preferably the republic of Ireland for travelling reasons). If so is there a good standard of the dogs being bred etc etc.

Any other info would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,957 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Contact these people, they should be able to answer your questions.

http://www.ulstergsdclub.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

I know you specified you are looking for a breeder, but it's very worthwhile looking in rescues and pounds too. The number of perfectly healthy GSD's being surrendered is crazy at the moment, likewise with pups being found. There are loads of organizations on Facebook worth having a look at.

Good luck with getting your dog, GSD's are amazing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Take a look here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57201056

The OP hasn't been on Boards for a while but you could try a PM. She has a lot of connections regarding GSD's & her own dogs are stunning. They are all the "Old Fashioned" type with big bodies & straight backs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

My vet has a beautiful male year old gsd who was brought in who needs a home ? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭gud4u

My GSD is straight backed, big boned and has an amazing personality. Very laid back, if you want any more info give me a pm, the breeder takes sires from germany.

I would agree that there are some great gsds there for rescue too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 manunited84

hey i got my gsd from a breeder in donegal they have amazing dog's!!
    http://www.alsaceroyalegermanshepherds.com
    those are picture of my dog
    he's 10 months in those photo's!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭numbernine

hey i got my gsd from a breeder in donegal they have amazing dog's!!
    http://www.alsaceroyalegermanshepherds.com
    those are picture of my dog
    he's 10 months in those photo's!!

how much did you pay for your dog off this breeder?? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Like some of the posters said, there's plenty of GSDs already looking for homes in pounds around the place so maybe have a look there instead of contributing to the misery of unscrupulous breeding. I can't understand why anyone would pass up a 'bargain' Pound GSD as opposed to shelling out 450 - 600 euro for a poorly bred potentially congenital disease-ridden dog that might only last 5 or 6 years. Sorry to be so blunt, but as the one time purchaser of such an animal and the subsequent adopter of many wonderful, poorly treated but fantastically spirited and healthy dogs, I want to express my opinion that there is no such thing as a 'genuine' breeder in this country - only a shower of money grabbing whatever's I'm sure there's plenty who will disagree, mostly on the basis of having to make a living from such activities, but believe me, they're not very fond of taking calls from purchasers wanting to discuss megaesophagus or some other ailment. Loads of GSDs on www.irishanimals.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Like some of the posters said, there's plenty of GSDs already looking for homes in pounds around the place so maybe have a look there instead of contributing to the misery of unscrupulous breeding. I can't understand why anyone would pass up a 'bargain' Pound GSD as opposed to shelling out 450 - 600 euro for a poorly bred potentially congenital disease-ridden dog that might only last 5 or 6 years. Sorry to be so blunt, but as the one time purchaser of such an animal and the subsequent adopter of many wonderful, poorly treated but fantastically spirited and healthy dogs, I want to express my opinion that there is no such thing as a 'genuine' breeder in this country - only a shower of money grabbing whatever's I'm sure there's plenty who will disagree, mostly on the basis of having to make a living from such activities, but believe me, they're not very fond of taking calls from purchasers wanting to discuss megaesophagus or some other ailment. Loads of GSDs on www.irishanimals.ie

I will disagree with you, and I don't make my living from any such activity, in fact I run a rescue and deal with the fall out from bad breeders on a daily basis. However to say there is no such thing as a genuine breeder in this country is wrong, they may be few and far between but they do exist.

I don't quite understand your point that you seem to be making though, that all dogs in pounds are healthy? Maybe I've misunderstood, surely as they've come from the same breeders who have bred the unhealthy dogs, they would be the same?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

This thread is 2.5 years old. Most posters from it have closed accounts, or have not been seen on this forum since.
    Thread closed.
    DBB

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement