Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Begging neighbours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

EarlERizer wrote: »
    You've heard the saying????
    "Fool me once, shame on you , fool me twice, shame on me"

Now strap a pair on and tell them to politely fook off and take their begging bowl with them!

.......AND Stop throwing eggs at their house,thats just double the pain.......suppose be worse if she then sat there eatting an omolette :D

That was probably the first thing that was borrowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

44leto wrote: »
    And do you condone that, do you not at least recognise that it is better not to give for the kids sake. I don't give the passive or the aggressive ones diddley and that includes the chuggers.

I do give to charity but just not to any of the above.

For me, it's a disgrace, that innocent kids (some of them not even 2-3 years old) have to play a part in that business...and it is a business in many cases, well organised indeed. I doubt, that all the money, those Roma women with their kids stays in their own pockets, that's why I won't give them a dime either.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭BackScrub

ejmaztec wrote: »
    That was probably the first thing that was borrowed.

Borrowed? You think stuff gets returned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

PC or not PC...That is the question!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

I'm not racist but I am.
    Tell her no & close the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

BackScrub wrote: »
    Borrowed? You think stuff gets returned?

I think we're into "permanent borrowing" territory here (a bit like one or two of my library books).:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

I have a neighbour from Camaroon thats like that.

A member of the BAKA tribe? The timber mill is at full production, the forest is almost cleared, house nearing completion, so a good time to go home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭wardy2

get this a neighbour came around the other day and Begging for sex off me ,i know cheek of her i was only around there last night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

wardy2 wrote: »
    get this a neighbour came around the other day and Begging for sex off me ,i know cheek of her i was only around there last night

Jesus she must have been really desperate. This is a case of someone being really genuinely in dire straights, I hoped you helped her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

Cover your doorstep in micro machines, modify the doorbell so that it electrocutes users, ice up the driveway any cold night you get, if you have a cat flap or letterbox get yourself a staple gun and fire it at any unwanted visitors, place a heat source on the inside of the front door handle so that anyone who touches it from the outside gets horribly burned, tie a few lengths of rope onto some paint cans and swing them from the upstairs windows at any unwanted callers, tip glue and feathers onto her from upstairs if she come back into your garden, or just drop an iron on her from upstairs either... there's loads you can do to sort this problem.
    thats a good idea for a film.
    you could call it "The Airtricity Precautionist"

• Advertisement

Get a few cats for yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

We had this problem with the neighbours across the road when I was a kid. They knocked in for all sorts of stuff, smokes, money, milk, food, they even started knocking in for cutlery and cups. I remember the last time it happened like it was yesterday.

One evening my dad was in from work and they knocked at the door looking for "spare forks and knives". Me dad just looked at her for a minute and asked her to repeat herself. She did like a goon and me dad just turned and lost it saying how we had "basically furnished and fed them over the last couple of years and to go fúck yourself. Get your husband out of the bookies and buy your own fúckin stuff with the money you'll save". They never knocked again and they never knocked at the other neighbours doors either because they were in our house at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

Many moons ago, when I was really small, every weekend there was a Fiver on the hall table in my granny's house, lodged under the some sort of paperweight. It disappeared on a Monday and appeared again on a Friday and was referred to as "The Floating Fiver". Years later I worked out that the neighbours across the hall had the beneficial use of that fiver whilst awaiting payday. My granny never provided eggs, milk, fags or the like but would offer the fiver, hence it had to be paid back prior to any further emergency request and if it wasn't, well they could hardly knock again now could they........;) Cheapest way of resolving the matter, without any bad feeling, even today!! My granny was cunning like a fox, but always a compassionate lady;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

phasers wrote: »
    And the Oscar goes to...

You know he is just going to pawn that for a bag (or whatever it is the kids are using these days) of drugs right?

Anyway this may seem simple but it's not! If you say no they get the hump and think that you think you are better than they are and then make your life a misery. I had this recently.

Bastards stole my oil. Long and short of it is, have them evicted it worked for me the social welfare classes were moved from the house beside mine and at the end of the day they are someone else's problem now!

Failing that get a gas fired sporting pistol and let fire when you see her around, won't harm her but she will **** herself which is always entertaining. If she is as you say of that "culture" she has an arse the size of a small country so watch her waddle up the road whilst squelching ****e between said cheeks of HUGE arse and it will be some form of payment for the misery she inflicted on you.

Or if you want to be a real wanker about it tell her you gave the penny when you were in school but you never expected them to send you your baby!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Lars1916 wrote: »
    I can only answer that question for me: Mentioning the annoying behavior of aggressive begging, alongside mentioning someone's ethnic background, sometimes leads to stereotyping...

Swap houses with the OP mate..... then come back here and cry us all a river.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Swap houses with the OP mate..... then come back here and cry us all a river.

I don't think, the OP would swap with me, mate. It's much too boring where I live ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

What did I say in my original post? I said I have no problem giving anyone a digout.

Also, this racist mullarkey is thrown around all the time now. I couldn't care less where people come from so you can keep your racist allegations. How can you be racist or xenophobic against people from your own country.

I feckin' hate travellers though. With a passion.

Its the 99% that give the 1% a bad name

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

toexpress wrote: »
    You know he is just going to pawn that for a bag (or whatever it is the kids are using these days) of drugs right?

Anyway this may seem simple but it's not! If you say no they get the hump and think that you think you are better than they are and then make your life a misery. I had this recently.

Bastards stole my oil. Long and short of it is, have them evicted it worked for me the social welfare classes were moved from the house beside mine and at the end of the day they are someone else's problem now!

Failing that get a gas fired sporting pistol and let fire when you see her around, won't harm her but she will **** herself which is always entertaining. If she is as you say of that "culture" she has an arse the size of a small country so watch her waddle up the road whilst squelching ****e between said cheeks of HUGE arse and it will be some form of payment for the misery she inflicted on you.

Or if you want to be a real wanker about it tell her you gave the penny when you were in school but you never expected them to send you your baby!!

Urgh...I read the thread where you gave out about these neighbours, you got a lot of stick from other posters for your attitude. You deserved it. You don't come across well at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

The "social welfare classes" wow,, true, they do exist, I know to many, How did that come about? a dependency welfare class and proud,,, or at least not ashamed, that culture of the "welfare class" is rapidly becoming unafordable to the working class.

Cop on Ireland. Cop on the "the welfare class" you do know others are funding you and we are beginning to resent that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Corkboi

I'm getting damn tired of the neighbour a few doors down from us calling around begging now..

She obviously was told where to go before she came to you, Shut the door in her face the next time...........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 178 ✭✭Paddy Bateman

Big Steve wrote: »
    We had this problem with the neighbours across the road when I was a kid. They knocked in for all sorts of stuff, smokes, money, milk, food, they even started knocking in for cutlery and cups. I remember the last time it happened like it was yesterday.

One evening my dad was in from work and they knocked at the door looking for "spare forks and knives". Me dad just looked at her for a minute and asked her to repeat herself. She did like a goon and me dad just turned and lost it saying how we had "basically furnished and fed them over the last couple of years and to go fúck yourself. Get your husband out of the bookies and buy your own fúckin stuff with the money you'll save". They never knocked again and they never knocked at the other neighbours doors either because they were in our house at the time.
    A COUPLE OF YEARS ? More fool your father !

Maybe it was his mother who was the softie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 178 ✭✭Paddy Bateman

dolanbaker wrote: »
    Maybe it was his mother who was the softie.
    Doesn't matter that household deserved being taken advantage of

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭moonfish

Hey I've had the same problem as you we are also neighbours with people of a certain "etnic background " who are well known for their begging.Anyways when we first moved in all the other neighbours ignored them something i didn't agree with at the beginning i said hello was friendly enough and tried to be neighbourly ...I soon learnt my lesson ..
    It started with sugar the coffee and other stuff.. then i was stop outside my home house and asked for money .Then they borrowed my wifes mobile to ring taxi and went she went back over to them they were talking in their native tongue so making a long distance call on her phone..I finally lost it last week when getting out of my car i was called over a asked if i have any batteries for remote control i ended up making a fool of myself and calling them every name under the sun now we ignore them like all the other neighbours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Quick answer when they ask for something - "the shop has that many of them that they are selling them"...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Eire sun

The original poster really needs to wise up. They have no money for phone credit but still have the money to get italian take out. The line between being nice and silly seems pretty thin in this instance. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

I have no problem telling her to shag off but my partner is a far nicer person than me. She's an extraordinarily kind person. I'd have nothing bit loathing for my beggar and her particular culture and my partner feels the same but she will help anybody.
    I have a neighbour from Camaroon thats like that. If I didn't put the foot down they would of kept coming with the hand out. I installed their washing machine for them, their cooker (free of course) and told them how to set their bins collections up, I sorted out some anti-social behaviour problems they were having from the local teen scummers and what thanks did I get - NONE. I get jungle music in the middle of the night. NEVER again.

When ever I see them it's always the same " I don't know how we're gonna live, I cannot afford the rent here (We pay the same rent and she has more income from SW then I do), the house is too small, I cannot afford the 50 cent for medicines (on medical card), I need a second toilet in the house, how can the government expect me to live here with just one toilet!! She has also decided that the parking space IN MY garden is hers.

I am not making this up!
    I'm confused. Is this an 'annoying neighbour' thread or a 'small bit of aul racism' thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Cover your doorstep in micro machines, modify the doorbell so that it electrocutes users, ice up the driveway any cold night you get, if you have a cat flap or letterbox get yourself a staple gun and fire it at any unwanted visitors, place a heat source on the inside of the front door handle so that anyone who touches it from the outside gets horribly burned, tie a few lengths of rope onto some paint cans and swing them from the upstairs windows at any unwanted callers, tip glue and feathers onto her from upstairs if she come back into your garden, or just drop an iron on her from upstairs either... there's loads you can do to sort this problem.

wonder what film you watched recently

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Eire sun wrote: »
    The original poster really needs to wise up. They have no money for phone credit but still have the money to get italian take out. The line between being nice and silly seems pretty thin in this instance. :eek:
    now, now, get the facts right.

it was an Indian takeout.

and i strongly suspect the OP intention has NOTHING to do with begging neighbours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭ROFLcopter

ArtSmart wrote: »
    I'm confused. Is this an 'annoying neighbour' thread or a 'small bit of aul racism' thread?

Wheel of fortune anyone ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Has anyone any smokes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

now, now, get the facts right.

it was an Indian takeout.

and i strongly suspect the OP intention has NOTHING to do with begging neighbours.
    Spit it out artsmart.
    Don't be inferring things, say it out straight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

44leto wrote: »
    The "social welfare classes" wow,, true, they do exist, I know to many, How did that come about? a dependency welfare class and proud,,, or at least not ashamed, that culture of the "welfare class" is rapidly becoming unafordable to the working class.

Cop on Ireland. Cop on the "the welfare class" you do know others are funding you and we are beginning to resent that.
    Let's get one thing straight here.
    It's not just people who are employed who pay taxes in this country.
    Everyone pays taxes in Ireland.
    There are more taxes than income tax you know!
    Another thing, the PS/civil service is rapidly becoming unaffordable to the rest of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

he's not home alone.

markesmith wrote: »
    Urgh...I read the thread where you gave out about these neighbours, you got a lot of stick from other posters for your attitude. You deserved it. You don't come across well at all

Yes, fun being made of my dead partner was really what I deserved. Oil stolen was really what I deserved, paint thrown over my car was really what I deserved, lies told about me is really what I deserved, false complaints made against me is really what I deserved, my home violated is really what I deserved and let us not forget threatening to burn down said home was really well earned.

I was somewhat taking the proverbial here with some of what I said so to put it in more serious terms. When this happens it's pretty nasty, the example of my neighbours where I did give on a number of occasions (cigarettes, the use of my phones, internet, dishwasher tablets, food on a few occasions, and I would still give them food, I wouldn't see my worst enemy go hungry) they took and took and that was fine, to a point but when I asked nicely that I have access to my own home that I bought and paid for I got abused, threatened harassed and so on. One will only ever take so much. I might well be a bit hard faced but then I think most of us can only ever be pushed to a point before we snap.

All of that said I think the OP pointing to the nature of the persons cultural background is a bit out of line (hence the flip comment about the penny for the baby) I don't think it matters what the colour of your skin is or what your "cultural" background is, if you behave like scum then that's the beginning and end of the problem and if it is just a cultural thing then we need to accept that the world has shrunk and that we now live in a much more multi-cultural society where we are entitled to expect respect for our own cultures on the basis that we return the same respect for theirs.

None of that means that you should be taken advantage of but it is possible to say no without referring to "cultural" differences. It might not make a difference, they might well say it's because they are whatever they are but there you go that's life, man up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Yes, fun being made of my dead partner was really what I deserved. Oil stolen was really what I deserved, paint thrown over my car was really what I deserved, lies told about me is really what I deserved, false complaints made against me is really what I deserved, my home violated is really what I deserved and let us not forget threatening to burn down said home was really well earned.

I am glad to see you have seen the error of your ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Tedette

I have no problem telling her to shag off but my partner is a far nicer person than me. She's an extraordinarily kind person. I'd have nothing bit loathing for my beggar and her particular culture and my partner feels the same but she will help anybody.
    I have a neighbour from Camaroon thats like that. If I didn't put the foot down they would of kept coming with the hand out. I installed their washing machine for them, their cooker (free of course) and told them how to set their bins collections up, I sorted out some anti-social behaviour problems they were having from the local teen scummers and what thanks did I get - NONE. I get jungle music in the middle of the night. NEVER again.

When ever I see them it's always the same " I don't know how we're gonna live, I cannot afford the rent here (We pay the same rent and she has more income from SW then I do), the house is too small, I cannot afford the 50 cent for medicines (on medical card), I need a second toilet in the house, how can the government expect me to live here with just one toilet!! She has also decided that the parking space IN MY garden is hers.

I am not making this up!

I'm equally confused, since when does mentioning where someone comes from become racism?

I am glad to see you have seen the error of your ways.

LOL And I live in hope that some day you will see yours. Hopefully it will be when you are going through something similar we will see what your views are then.

I would love to know, of course this is not the place, but I would really love to know do you really think that asking someone to move their car so I could drive mine in the gate that I bought and paid for warranted the abuse I got and the campaign of terror that followed it?

I'm glad I live by a big lake in a quiet part of the country, seems like most urban areas of this country are crap to live in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

ROFLcopter wrote: »
    I'm glad I live by a big lake in a quiet part of the country, seems like most urban areas of this country are crap to live in.

I live in an urban area and never once have I had a neighbour at the door 'begging'.
    This thread is as much an eye opener to me as you. Calling next door for cigarettes, groceries or phone credit is something I've never witnessed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Tedette wrote: »
    I'm equally confused, since when does mentioning where someone comes from become racism?

Some people know a dog whistle when they hear one.

I live in an urban area and never once have I had a neighbour at the door 'begging'.
    This thread is as much an eye opener to me as you. Calling next door for cigarettes, groceries or phone credit is something I've never witnessed.

Yeah agreed, I was brought up in tallaght and I never had Neighbors begging.

ROFLcopter wrote: »

There actually seems to be a bit of an element of that in fairness. It may be recession linked, desperate people kind of forced into desperate acts? I was reading in the Accommodation forum about a man living in his van and just trying to keep body and soul together. Sad really.

When I got home from work yesterday I heard about a car being stolen from outside a neighbours house, they were having a kids party and the car was parked a little away from the house itself and this was in the middle of the day.

Since I moved in here last summer there have been 9 break ins (two of them at my house) countless attempted break ins and three of us have had our oil stolen. My sister and brother in law lived here while they were building their house and at that stage if a strange car moved in this estate everyone was talking about! Still despite all of this when people ask where I live and I tell them they always go "Oh lovely estate, fine big houses" and I would be standing there looking at them wondering have they looked around here recently?

Also I think begging is a slight exaggeration of the situation, she is not turning up looking for money etc she is just taking advantage of a kind nature. It dross feeding off others and an inherent sense of entitlement with no underlying tangible basis owing to a complete lack of interest in working to gain entitlement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

LOL And I live in hope that some day you will see yours. Hopefully it will be when you are going through something similar we will see what your views are then.

I would love to know, of course this is not the place, but I would really love to know do you really think that asking someone to move their car so I could drive mine in the gate that I bought and paid for warranted the abuse I got and the campaign of terror that followed it?

It is not what you said, it is your attitude. Just because you own a house doesn't mean you can lord it over other people. They are human beings as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Tedette wrote: »

What's confusing about that? Mentioning where someone comes from before you berate them implies that that their bad behaviour is because of where they're from.

Right, the doorbell just rang for the 3rd time today. We ignored the 2 earlier ones but my partner answered this one suspecting she might have a new request.

And bingo!!

This time she was looking for a lift up town because she had run out of nappies for 'de child'. I'm not much of a shopper but I have no idea where she'll get nappies on a Sunday night. Anyway, my partner made an excuse and refused her.

Amazing how the requests keep coming just like the accusations of racism on this thread.

Anyway, back to watching knuckle.

It is not what you said, it is your attitude. Just because you own a house doesn't mean you can lord it over other people. They are human beings as well.

I didn't lord it over them. That is your perception. In order to lord it over someone you have to have some sort of contact with them, my refusal to engage with them on the most basic level, which I have previously stated, means that this wild and unrealistic accusation you make is totally unfounded

Right, the doorbell just rang for the 3rd time today. We ignored the 2 earlier ones but my partner answered this one suspecting she might have a new request.

And bingo!!

This time she was looking for a lift up town because she had run out of nappies for 'de child'. I'm not much of a shopper but I have no idea where she'll get nappies on a Sunday night. Anyway, my partner made an excuse and refused her.

Amazing how the requests keep coming just like the accusations of racism on this thread.

Anyway, back to watching knuckle.

"I know it but I don't think I should say it"-southpark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Going shopping at this hour on a Sunday night :confused:

Most every shop is closed

And it's awful late to be calling around to neighbours
    10am on the weekend is grand but 10pm? Some ****ing neck on this one

What's this boyfriend doing? If he's out and about he should be going to the shops. Sounds like a waster

• Advertisement

10pm on a Sunday night. Why aren't they watching knuckle like the rest of us. Perhaps they were there when it really happened and don't need to see it again.

Taking of which, will RTE or TV3 set up a Traveller channel soon? They're on my telly box every night of the week now ffs!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement