Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Begging neighbours

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭BackScrub

mikemac1 wrote: »
    What's this boyfriend doing? If he's out and about he should be going to the shops. Sounds like a waster

No idea, I've never seen him. Likes a smoke and never has any as far as I can tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

BackScrub wrote: »
    Right, the doorbell just rang for the 3rd time today. We ignored the 2 earlier ones but my partner answered this one suspecting she might have a new request.

And bingo!!

This time she was looking for a lift up town because she had run out of nappies for 'de child'. I'm not much of a shopper but I have no idea where she'll get nappies on a Sunday night. Anyway, my partner made an excuse and refused her.

Amazing how the requests keep coming just like the accusations of racism on this thread.

Anyway, back to watching knuckle.

You should tell them that this is not on and that they should not come around here with the hand out anymore. That they get social welfare like everyone else who isnt working and that should be enough for them. It is enough for everyone else.

They should learn to manage their own money better and stop making it your problem. Your not responsible for their mismanagement of cash, they are lucky to have a house and social welfare, it is more then they would get in most countrys. Stop bothering you unless there is a real emergency. You have your own problems. If they are in need of extra assistance then they should see the Community welfare officer.

I'm totally with you on this one but I think that being more forward with them would save you alot of hassle in the future instead of making excuses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

toexpress wrote: »
    I didn't lord it over them. That is your perception. In order to lord it over someone you have to have some sort of contact with them, my refusal to engage with them on the most basic level, which I have previously stated, means that this wild and unrealistic accusation you make is totally unfounded

You can lord it over someone by your demeanour.
    I retract what it said earlier. You have not learned that unpleasant things happen to people who are obnoxious and ostentatious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

You can lord it over someone by your demeanour.
    I retract what it said earlier. You have not learned that unpleasant things happen to people who are obnoxious and ostentatious.

Ah right so I should have been going out there smiling and greeting them rushing up and hugging and kissing them after they made fun of the horrific death that my partner endured?

I do not retract what I said earlier, I hope that some day you learn and when it happens, just for a moment I want you to remember what you said and feel just some of the pain that I have felt.

I also hope that you will stop being as big a fool as you are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

EarlERizer wrote: »
    You've heard the saying????
    "Fool me once, shame on you , fool me twice, shame on me"

Now strap a pair on and tell them to politely fook off and take their begging bowl with them!

.......AND Stop throwing eggs at their house,thats just double the pain.......suppose be worse if she then sat there eatting an omolette :D

they dont use begging bowls... its usually old mcdonalds drink cups

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

How can you be racist or xenophonic against a culture?

It might sound strange, but it happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I actually told an aggressive beggar on O O'Connell Bridge to p!ss off last night, a lad in his 20s with the usual Hostel bollox.

Does anyone know do you actually pay into these shelters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

44leto wrote: »
    Does anyone know do you actually pay into these shelters.
    Apparently they only accept Debit and Visa cards these days. Cash transactions can be such a pain.

Though I believe an NFC type app should be available by the end of the year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭surime

44leto wrote: »
    What the fkuc are you complaining about, you and people like you are the problem, beggars only beg because they receive. If you want to stop it don't give.

I don't get why this post got so many "thanks". It is easy to just say NO and shut the door, but until you get know people better you have no idea what the situation is!
    With attitude like yours you end up as a selfish blind person only interested in how full is my own fridge and people next door could starve to death and that's not my business!
    I agree - sometimes you have to say no, but first get know whats going on and think what you can do to help.
    To say that "people like OP" are the problem is just stupid and that doesn't help to solve "the problem".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Helping a neighbour with no food in the fridge as they are not getting welfare or between jobs is one thing

The OP's first post is about internet and cigarettes. Luxuries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

And ordering indian take aways...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I have never experienced anything like that with neighbours, but then again I wouldn't be found dead living in the kind of place those people and the OP live in.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    I have never experienced anything like that with neighbours, but then again I wouldn't be found dead living in the kind of place those people and the OP live in.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

...the value of your investments may rise as well as fall...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

It might sound strange, but it happens.

...because Xenophobia is very often the main reason for racism, imo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭surime

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Helping a neighbour with no food in the fridge as they are not getting welfare or between jobs is one thing

The OP's first post is about internet and cigarettes. Luxuries

Luxuries... :rolleyes: Now you can't do many many things without internet -even pay tax for your car (maybe you can, but then you have to have for a ticket or petrol to get to city hall or wherever you pay it!)
    -and sorry, but if ou are addicted to cigarettes (I never was), but I can imagine if you are and if you are in some kind of crisis it must be really hard without one!

- and sure, they are not the most important things but if you don't even talk to people and listen to them, you won't find out what is is that they need!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Lars1916 wrote: »
    I'm based in Dublin indeed, living in Dublin 9, but working in town. Of course, I noticed Romas begging out there. But for me, they are less aggressive, they just sometimes use some kind of pity. Sitting out in the cold and rain, with small kids on their lap...and they know, they are successful, because people feel with their kids.

I'm in Dublin too, Roma will pick pocket just like any other crime group but they are much more aggressive and organised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

most of the roma are NOT homeless.... they are professional beggars... they even work shifts and if you look closely you will see their "minders" standing close by. Give them nothing. There is a whole family of them living on the NCR near phibsborough. Homeless my arse!!!

if you want to be charitable then i suggest you donate your money to useful services such as childline, the samartians, or one of the many under budgeted schools for people with disabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

I have a neighbour from Camaroon thats like that. If I didn't put the foot down they would of kept coming with the hand out. I installed their washing machine for them, their cooker (free of course) and told them how to set their bins collections up, I sorted out some anti-social behaviour problems they were having from the local teen scummers and what thanks did I get - NONE. I get jungle music in the middle of the night. NEVER again.

When ever I see them it's always the same " I don't know how we're gonna live, I cannot afford the rent here (We pay the same rent and she has more income from SW then I do), the house is too small, I cannot afford the 50 cent for medicines (on medical card), I need a second toilet in the house, how can the government expect me to live here with just one toilet!! She has also decided that the parking space IN MY garden is hers.

I am not making this up!

It's your own fault. Man up and tell them to **** off. You wouldn't let someone else do that. Shouldn't matter if it's Cameroon or Cabra they're from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

token101 wrote: »
    It's your own fault. Man up and tell them to **** off. You wouldn't let someone else do that. Shouldn't matter if it's Cameroon or Cabra they're from.
    Definitely some enabling going on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

GetWithIt wrote: »
    Definitely some enabling going on there.

Enabling what?

• Advertisement

Ellis Dee wrote: »

WTF????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

WTF????

WTF x 2 - !!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

toexpress wrote: »
    Ah right so I should have been going out there smiling and greeting them rushing up and hugging and kissing them after they made fun of the horrific death that my partner endured?

I do not retract what I said earlier, I hope that some day you learn and when it happens, just for a moment I want you to remember what you said and feel just some of the pain that I have felt.

I also hope that you will stop being as big a fool as you are

I am not a fool. I do not go around wishing evil on people. I do not have my neighbours stealing oil from me.
    I have never bullied a neighbour out of my way and then assaulted her boyfriend. Neither have I tried to bully members of the local garda who are only doing their job.
    Just because you have suffered some pain, it does not mean you can take it out on everybody else in your environment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭Gingernuts31

WTF????
    BengaLover wrote: »
    WTF x 2 - !!

WTF X3!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21 zipy

Backscrub have you come out from behind the couch yet? It's ok she's gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

I am not a fool. I do not go around wishing evil on people. I do not have my neighbours stealing oil from me.
    I have never bullied a neighbour out of my way and then assaulted her boyfriend. Neither have I tried to bully members of the local garda who are only doing their job.
    Just because you have suffered some pain, it does not mean you can take it out on everybody else in your environment.

Sorry when did I assault her boyfriend? At what point did this happen?

I didn't bully the Garda, I have a very good relationship with them in fact, I fed three of them earlier today. Though we did have a raging row caused through confusion because of the fact that our personal relationship got in the way of what they had to do professionally and that is the fault of both them and myself which I acknowledged. Clearly you didn't take the time to read that then, just the bits you wanted?

I am confused by one thing though, do you really think it's my fault they stole from me? Honestly? Is your moral compass so badly damaged that you actually believe that? I tell you now I feel nothing but pity for you because if you do believe that you have a world of pain that is coming your way because those life lessons are usually learned the hard way

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Tedette wrote: »
    I'm equally confused, since when does mentioning where someone comes from become racism?
    I'm getting damn tired of the neighbour a few doors down from us calling around begging now.

Fags, phone credit, milk etc. etc. It goes on and on. She's of a certain ethnic background with their own culture so it's to be expected really I suppose.
    really Tedette?

do you find a lot of things confuse you?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Tedette

My confusion was how you felt Cisco's mentioning his neighbour's nationality is racism?
    But to answer your question, yep a lot of things do confuse me ;)

ArtSmart wrote: »
    really Tedette?

do you find a lot of things confuse you?

Seriously, what are you talking about?

You are yet another of the merry band of people who clearly misunderstand what racism is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Man up

/thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement