Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Politics.

Options
  • 18-02-2012 2:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭

I have been banned from Politics with this post:
    Scofflaw wrote:
    My apologies to davoxx's dancing partners here, but davoxx's persistent refusal to "debate specifics" long since passed the point of trolling. The last several pages of this thread are a trainwreck.

3 day ban for the brick wall - the rest of you should rest your heads...

moderately,
    Scofflaw

My pm was:
    Scofflaw wrote:
    for the following reason:

Trolling or serious obtuseness

Scofflaw did not want to be drawn into a debate over specifics, though apparently that is why I was banned from the forum.

I would like someone to have a look, to clarify which part of the charter was contravened.

Thanks,

Davoxx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I'll not adjudicate this and I will leave it to Dades, but I just want to point out one thing to you davoxx that the charter is not binding on mods and is not limiting on mods. It is only a guideline for what to avoid not a total list of all possible ban reasons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭davoxx

Thanks nesf.

Is this being looked at by Dades?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

davoxx wrote: »
    Thanks nesf.

Is this being looked at by Dades?

I'll PM him to make sure he's seen this.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Well thanks for that 23 page read, folks. I've lost the sight in one eye and the will to live.

That really was a trainwreck, and I'm sorry davoxx, you were at the heart of it. Your posts consistently sucked other posters down rabbit holes where you would dodge, deflect and generally exasperate anyone who requested clarification.

This isn't going to be a case of me providing you with a lengthy series of quotes to back up what I think, this is my opinion having just just read the entire thread from start to finish. The type of posting you received a meagre 3-day ban for is the death by a thousand cuts posting that ruins threads.

That's all I have to say. An Admin will review this if you wish. For their sake I hope you leave it as it stands.

Hi Dades,

Thanks for reading it. I would like to have an Admin address this as I want to confirm the issue, if it really exists, and if so was it mine alone.

I feel that to punish me for such an unclear reason is unhelpful and confusing.

I also feel that Scofflaw should have just moderated rather than taking sides in this as it appears he was.

Davoxx.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I'll look into this. Since the ban has already passed and it sounds like a rough job I will take my time over it though. Before I start I'd like to reiterate this part:
    nesf wrote: »
    the charter is not binding on mods and is not limiting on mods.

To me, the ban reason is clear and unambiguous from the PM you received: Your refusal to debate specifics. I'm not sure how that's an unclear reason at all. The purpose of the ban is to show you that debating specifics is expected of you in that forum and that repeatedly not doing so (by whatever means) is unacceptable.

Thanks for having a look into this, Khannie.

I would also like to point out that a mod's job is to moderate, and not to pick sides and I feel that Scofflaw's comment breached this.

I am inquiring as to which exact specifics I was refusing to debate that were relevant to that thread.

I think you should be aware that I was site banned recently from what was only explained as a misunderstanding, though I have my suspicions as to which mod made this misunderstanding and why. Could you look into this as well as it might be relevant.

Please take all the time you need, as I would like a conclusive result to this vagueness.

Thanks for your time,

Davoxx.

Hi,

Sorry, but I have been banned for a month for apparently the same reason, by the same mod.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056562039

We can deal with these together if it helps.

Thanks,

Davoxx

OK. I'm starting to look into this, but I wont get it completed tonight. I want to cover as much as I can this evening though. I'll start with some stuff from this thread.
    I would like someone to have a look, to clarify which part of the charter was contravened.

Just so we're all absolutely clear: There is no onus on the mods to point at a specific part of the charter when moderating.

Moderators are given reasonably wide ranging authority (subject to having to deal with the DRP if a user is unhappy of course) so that they are not bound by people who might use a loophole in the charter. If they feel that a users behaviour is unacceptable they moderate it so that everyone can have the most pleasant experience here. They give up their free time to do this so it's important that it's not a massive chore for them to deal with people who would look for, and exploit, loopholes.
    I would also like to point out that a mod's job is to moderate, and not to pick sides and I feel that Scofflaw's comment breached this.

Mods have access to a users previous disciplinary history. This is really important for them. It allows them to quickly identify the likelihood of whether or not someone who is involved in a troublesome incident is doing so out of muppetry. It is clear to me that you are a serious cost of moderators time and effort. You have been banned a total of 10 times and have received 15 infractions. This gives you a disciplinary action to posting ratio of more than 1:100, which is very high. Moderators are going to be less tolerant of perceived trouble from you than they would be with users who are generally well behaved. You should expect this.

Scofflaw's comment was light hearted after what sounds like a horrific train wreck of a thread (which I will proceed to make my way through). It seems to me that he feels you were at the heart of this. I have no problem with his comment at all.

More tomorrow after I've read the threads in question.

I have to say, Dades summed it up nicely:
    Dades wrote: »
    Well thanks for that 23 page read, folks. I've lost the sight in one eye and the will to live.

That really was a trainwreck, and I'm sorry davoxx, you were at the heart of it. Your posts consistently sucked other posters down rabbit holes where you would dodge, deflect and generally exasperate anyone who requested clarification.

This isn't going to be a case of me providing you with a lengthy series of quotes to back up what I think, this is my opinion having just just read the entire thread from start to finish. The type of posting you received a meagre 3-day ban for is the death by a thousand cuts posting that ruins threads.

That was a horrible read and you were at the heart of it. So I'll give you this: I believe that you believe in the occupy movement. I'm also sure it's not easy repeatedly defending what you consider to be ongoing attack on that, however there was a clear lack of engagement from you. Also, when you start answering people with stuff like:

"tell you what there bub, i'll stop correcting you if you stop posting incorrect nonsense"

and

"maybe the next time you say something silly, stop and think about it rather than waste everyone's time"

and

"and if you deem it incredible, you highlight your own ignorance ... but thanks for the rant ..."

and so on, and so on, and so on....well you're crossing the line into incitement. You're very obviously and very deliberately trying to wind people up at that point. Now I'm not going to get into specifics (beyond the quotes that I gave as examples of what I consider to be "incitement to train wreck") but I have seen examples of the problems others have highlighted. A 3 day ban was a mere slap on the wrist for that kind of twenty something page disaster that you were at the very heart of creating. I'm upholding that.

The Syria thread on first glance didn't look so bad to me. I might have even reduced the ban because I'm a softy, but then I saw it very clearly descend into a whole bunch of the same crap over and over again, dodging questions, making snide remarks. Well....having just come back from a ban for similar posting, that was only going to end one way.

I'd suggest that if you really don't know what you did wrong then you might be better off not posting in that forum any more. If you do continue posting without moderating yourself, then you should expect someone else to moderate you, for you. Your attitude towards other posters that you're engaging and method of discussion, frankly, stink.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement