Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To teachers and examiners

• 18-02-2012 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

At the beginning of this school year I gave up on French. I was failing. I had a lack of interest and didn't take in much information. Ironically, I love languages. I'd like to be multilingual. I've studied Spanish and Japanese, which I plan to continue once I've left school. I digress.

In April, towards the end of 5th, I began learning German on my own and picked it up rather quick. I find it to be much easier than French. My vocabulary has been growing and I think it will be sufficient for Ordinary Level, but my grammar is terrible. I write like it's English, one word after the other. Like many other languages, though, it's rearranged.

So, my question is, how important is grammar on the tests? How good does it have to be?
    Also, if anyone has a helpful website, link it. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

For German, always remember the verb comes second - always.

Otherwise STOMP - Subject, Time, Object, Manner , Place.

The marking scheme for last year's OL paper is here. There seems to be an awful lot of answering in English, but I think that's how languages are nowadays in schools.
    Viel Glueck.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

I'm doing HL German and my teacher has been saying that the grammar aspect isn't as important for the OL candidates.

You'll need to know the basics, like the gender of words, word order, probably conjunctions and how they work.

These sites are good for the basics: http://german.about.com/library/blgrammatik.htm

http://www.german-grammar.de/grammar/content/english_german_table_of_content.htm

If you have €15 spare I've found Ubung Macht den Meister by M.I. Campbell-Schotsaert an amazing help. It has all of the grammar aspects that you need to know and probably more than you'd need for OL.

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭lainey108

i do higher level german and im just interested to know where did you get that book??

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SeanMolo

Vielen Dank. The info you've given me is perfect. It'll be very useful these coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭kayleigh01

lainey108 wrote: »
    i do higher level german and im just interested to know where did you get that book??

I got it in O' Mahony's... I'm pretty sure you can order it online too. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement