Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vitali Klitschko V Rocky Marciano both peak

• 18-02-2012 3:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭

I've noticed people on here giving Vitali his fair props lately and personally i think it's great-very often Boxing fans these days don't know anything about the current scene and always think Boxing was better in the past.

with all that said, How do people see this fight going if they could fight today both in peak.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Who'd win 18 votes

Vitali
    0%
    Rocky
    100%
    xtal191ArthurdalycowzerpdjhaxmansxtMonkeyBallsbadabing106ollie1titan18TiGeR KiNgSSpazdarnDaroxtarx PyRoJoe MusashiForeverYoung90Dohnny JeppThe Prodigy 2RiseToTheTop 18 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Rocky
    I might aswell start it!

I see this been a very 1 sided match for Vitali and either a bad beating over several rounds or a quick KO win for Vitali

I literally can't even give Rocky a punchers chance as Vitali will be hard to land clean on and also has a solid chin

Marciano's lack of speed and footwork make it a total impossibility to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭runboyrun

Don't see the point in this thread to be honest.

There's such a size and weight differential that I don't see it as a credible match.

It's like saying who would win - Roy Jones or Wilfredo Gomez

Rocky
    So you feel Vitali would win, the point of the thread is wheter people realise the difference in heavyweights or not-officially there the same weight class so this match would be legit, If talking about who the best heavies would be Marciano is either in or out, I say out.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭terrymccarthy05

Rocky would knock him out

cowzerp wrote: »
    So you feel Vitali would win, the point of the thread is wheter people realise the difference in heavyweights or not-officially there the same weight class so this match would be legit, If talking about who the best heavies would be Marciano is either in or out, I say out.

It's not comparing apples with apples.

Marciano would be a Light Heavyweight today when you factor in the extra day weigh in rule and better knowledge on diet and weight loss.

Vitali is probably the biggest successful HW of all time.

I don't think comparing Vitali against a LHW is credible.

Marciano had a good reign during his generation against opponents that fought under the same conditions as him.

I feel Marciano has no chance against Vitali because the match is not fair.

It would make more sense comparing Rocky against current LHW's such as Cleverly, Pascal or older fighters like Ezzard Charles or Bob Foster.

A lot of Marciano's opponents would be LHW's if they fought today so I just don't see the sense in matching a huge HW against an average size LHW, by today's standards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Vit is too big.

P4P I would back Marciano.

HW, has to be Klit most times

BTW, Rocky would probably not have efficiently or effectively made LHW, "diet", or weigh in in rules included. CW he would have always been.

The man was always in peak condition, and weighed 190 lbs when he was hard and solid. 175 is a wee bit low. And, even with an extra 24 hrs at weigh in, NO, I don't think he would be as healthy, or a a better fighter at 175 lbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

Rocky
    I think the size difference would be too much. Klitschko has weighed 242lbs in his previous 2 fights, I think that'd be too much.

Now whether Vitali would win by KO? Marciano has so much heart, I don't think Vitali would KO him. I'd say Rocky would always have a punchers chance as long as they are both in the ring.

Rocky
    runboyrun wrote: »
    It's not comparing apples with apples.

Marciano would be a Light Heavyweight today when you factor in the extra day weigh in rule and better knowledge on diet and weight loss.

Vitali is probably the biggest successful HW of all time.

I don't think comparing Vitali against a LHW is credible.

Of course it's fair, if Vitali fought back then they wound have fought-it's that simple-the whole point is rocky is way down the list of heavyweights if they all went head to head.

You can rate him as a cruiser but fact is he was a heavy.

If Vitali fought in Rocky's era then Rocky would be the number 2 in the world. Unless, there were dozens of men as big and capable as Vitali.

HW is HW, but it needs analysing. If Rocky were around today he'd be the greatest CW fighter in history.

walshb wrote: »

The man was always in peak condition, and weighed 190 lbs when he was hard and solid. 175 is a wee bit low. And, even with an extra 24 hrs at weigh in, NO, I don't think he would be as healthy, or a a better fighter at 175 lbs.

rocky fought as low as 178lbs.....only 3lbs higher than LHW.....he was 183lbs when he fought Louis so I don't think it would be impossible for him to make LHW considering the extra 24hrs and better diet, training etc.

His weight was inconsistent and fluctuated between 178 and about 190lbs, to me this indicates he wasn't a consistent trainer.....it's hard to know thouhg because a lot of his wins were early ko's.

The CW division didn't start until 1979, if it was around during Rocky's time he would definitely have been a CW......on this basis I don't think a fight with Vitali is relative

Vitali is too big........for me a good match is Vitali v Foreman or Bowe......they are no so predictable and would spark a decent debate.

Rocky was a small HW even back in the 50's......he sometimes gave away as much as 30lbs to his opponents.......this is impressive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

Did you see Vitali vs Adamek? This fight would be twice as one-sided.

Adamek weighed in at 216. Marciano weighed in at around 188 generally.

Viatli was 5/6 years out of prime against Adamek.

Vitali would stop him in the 3rd at the latest.

runboyrun wrote: »
    rocky fought as low as 178lbs.....only 3lbs higher than LHW.....he was 183lbs when he fought Louis so I don't think it would be impossible for him to make LHW considering the extra 24hrs and better diet, training etc.

His weight was inconsistent and fluctuated between 178 and about 190lbs, to me this indicates he wasn't a consistent trainer.....it's hard to know thouhg because a lot of his wins were early ko's.

The CW division didn't start until 1979, if it was around during Rocky's time he would definitely have been a CW......on this basis I don't think a fight with Vitali is relative

Vitali is too big........for me a good match is Vitali v Foreman or Bowe......they are no so predictable and would spark a decent debate.

Rocky was a small HW even back in the 50's......he sometimes gave away as much as 30lbs to his opponents.......this is impressive

Yes, he did fight "light" at times, but at his best I think he was always above 185 lbs or so. And, looked like a CW too.

Rocky
    Again, the point is he was and is rated as a heavy- you have to be compared in your division 1st off, yes we get he was light but people regularly mention him as 1 of the best heavies ever bit truth us many many heavies would have beat him, same cant be said for Ali, foreman, Vitali for example yet people would still put him in their top 10 over Vitali without been realistic.

Basically your saying you would not rate him as a heavy, that's fine-I agree.

Again, the point is he was and is rated as a heavy- you have to be compared in your division 1st off, yes we get he was light but people regularly mention him as 1 of the best heavies ever bit truth us many many heavies would have beat him, same cant be said for Ali, foreman, Vitali for example yet people would still put him in their top 10 over Vitali without been realistic.

I do think he is one of best ever HWs. Just also think that Vit is a bad match for him, same way I think Tyson is always a bad match for Holmes and Louis and both Klits.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭shangri la

Vitali on points

I feel people rate his reign as HW champion highly because he was unbeaten and won most fights by KO.

Most feel he proved himself and are not rating him in fantasy tournaments where nobody knows what might happen.

I feel you can only rate a champion accurately in the time he actually fought....everything else is subjective.

P4P he is one of the best punchers of all time in the eyes of most and he had one of the best reigns as HW champion of all time. His opposition wasn't great but he fought everyone around.

Asking who would win between Marciano and Vitali in my opinion is a no brainer because of the immense size difference. I don't see it as an interesting debate.

To answer your last point....I do rate him as HW champion but I don't rate him in a fantasy tournament against the giant HW's because I feel there is too much of a size difference. I do rate his reign as HW champion though.

Advertisement