Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exchanging without tags still attached.

Options
  • 18-02-2012 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Just a question from the other side of retail, I give my customers a 7 day exchange policy for unused items.

To me this means all swing tags should still be attached when the garment is returned.

On more than a few occasions customers have come back with items well past the 7-day cut off without the tags.

I pretty much always ignore the 7 days time limit out of good will, but the tags are different matter. I don't have spares! I can't re-sell the item without the tags from the designer and plus how do I know it wasn't worn?!

Some consumers don't seem to understand this, and I had the same problem today with a woman. She seemed a bit annoyed when I asked for the swing tag.

(I was already ignoring the fact that she was exchanging something that was bought nearly two months ago because it didn't fit.)

But I didn't want her to leave with a nasty opinion of my store (I'm always terrified of bad reviews online!!) so I gave in and took the item back without tags.

Are other stores strict on them or is it just me?

My receipts state: 7 days to exchange an unused item, but I don't mention anything about tags.

Should I be mentioning the tags on the receipt or does it go without saying?

Appreciate any opinions guys.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

It goes without saying, but it can't do any harm to have a sign in your store or have it printed on receipts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Def put it on the receipt, I have worked in a few high end stores and we had a much bigger problem with clothes being returned worn or atleast with faint deo smells etc.

We used a stamp on the receipts to say returns with tags attached only. We also stapled the receipts to the paper bag as we only did exchange at sale price on items without receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Private Piles

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    We used a stamp on the receipts to say returns with tags attached only. We also stapled the receipts to the paper bag as we only did exchange at sale price on items without receipt.

Cheers great idea about the stamp as there is only limited space on the receipt for text and I can't fit anything else in about the tags.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

How many characters do you have to mention returns t&c's?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I used to know a girl who would buy reasonably high-end stuff, wear it with the tags tucked in (or taken off if attached by safety pin etc), then return it shortly afterwards. This would be cases where she'd wear it all day at maybe something like a wedding. I always felt so sorry for the shops, taking back someones seconds.

I wouldn't dream of bringing back an item without the tags - and I don't think you should accept it. Print it on your receipts if possible, or else a big sign next to the till. Don't be afraid of bad reviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I'd suggest put a notice up and print it on the receipts, and perhaps even bring the customers attention to it at each sale. That way no one can claim they were never told about it or couldn't read the small print on the receipt. Putting a notice up also informs the customer before the sale is made.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

(I was already ignoring the fact that she was exchanging something that was bought nearly two months ago because it didn't fit.)

Bringing something back two months later? TBH thats some cheek anyway. As the others have said have a sign in the store, it'd be easy enough to word it nicely.

Your post reminds me of a neighbour of my parents who doesn't like using changing rooms so buys loads of stuff to bring home and try on, she then returns most of it when she decides which she actually wants. Madness!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I would definitely write it somewhere on the receipt.

I used to work for a company that were like yourself, used to back down at any confrontation and always gave the customer what they wanted. There were a few customers that we knew full well were wearing stuff and returning it so our store implemented a new policy of stapling the receipt to the kimble tag. We didn't have the option of changing the return policy wording on the receipt and back then it didn't say tags attached (as far as I know it does now!)

The result was that if they managed to hold onto the receipt at least they tended to have the tags as well and it would really annoy the ones that dared wear it with the tags because they couldn't leave the receipt attached as well.

We got away with it by saying that we had so many customers that had trouble holding onto their receipts and we were just making life easier for the customer. (In the snidest, smirkiest, nicest way ever!)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Private Piles

Brilliant thanks for the suggestions, new strict non-bendable policies in operation from this week on.

For every 20 wonderful honest customers I have there is 1 who is nothing but a feckin chancer!!

Advertisement