Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newspapers being so awful

Options
  • 18-02-2012 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

I'm a 3rd year UCD student, and I was wondering if anyone else noticed the MAJOR deterioration in the quality of the Observer and the Tribune in recent years?

You could argue that the Tribune itself was never really on a par with the Observer, but it's gone to hell these days. The features are so monotonous, there is very little originality and very little humour. Just out of interest, are the editors getting paid?

The Observer, one that is well funded by the SU has gone totally downhill too. I know that the majority of writers are students giving their own time to write for no financial gain, but aren't the editors getting paid? They could at least point the writers in a better direction.

I've looked at Trinity's university times newspaper online, and it's simply streets ahead of both our papers.

Is it just me who thinks this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

rawwrrrr wrote: »
    I'm a 3rd year UCD student, and I was wondering if anyone else noticed the MAJOR deterioration in the quality of the Observer and the Tribune in recent years?

You could argue that the Tribune itself was never really on a par with the Observer, but it's gone to hell these days. The features are so monotonous, there is very little originality and very little humour. Just out of interest, are the editors getting paid?

The Observer, one that is well funded by the SU has gone totally downhill too. I know that the majority of writers are students giving their own time to write for no financial gain, but aren't the editors getting paid? They could at least point the writers in a better direction.

I've looked at Trinity's university times newspaper online, and it's simply streets ahead of both our papers.

Is it just me who thinks this?

(I am an observer section ed, before someone points fingers.... my views here not representing the observer's blah blah etc)

Tribune editors (ie editor and deputy I think) get paid at the end of the year if they have money left over, I assume the designer gets paid, but I've never asked.

Observer editor, deputy and designer get paid.

I think you underestimate how much work goes into the paper(s).

UT is their SU paper, ie, it's funded too, it comes out every 3 weeks as opposed to ever 2. That and most of my friends in TCD regard it as an SU mouthpiece, but anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

I seem to be one of the few that actually likes reading the new editions of both, when they come out..

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭gradlife

If anything I think the tribune has gone up in quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I enjoy reading them, some quality opinion pieces, UCD relevant news and a bit of humour. Wish they had a more frequent, and detailed Super League section.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I wonder what the UCD vs Trinity article will be like next week?

This week and last weeks ones were fairly crap, just like the ones from the week before and week before that.. :rolleyes:

Advertisement