Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSU Q

Options
  • 18-02-2012 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

i have a dell xps 8300 with a i7 -2600 cpu @3.40ghz
    graphics card is an amd hd 6670
    im looking to upgrade to a nivdia gtx 560.
    this requires 2 6 pin connectors i belive from the psu and a psu of 450 watts+..
    my psu is 460 watts , but from reading another forum, this psu is not good enough as the 2 6 pin connectors are on the one lead.

i have another older computer that has a 1000 watt. can i use this instead??
    tks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

ZZR1100 wrote: »
    i have a dell xps 8300 with a i7 -2600 cpu @3.40ghz
    graphics card is an amd hd 6670
    im looking to upgrade to a nivdia gtx 560.
    this requires 2 6 pin connectors i belive from the psu and a psu of 450 watts+..
    my psu is 460 watts , but from reading another forum, this psu is not good enough as the 2 6 pin connectors are on the one lead.

i have another older computer that has a 1000 watt. can i use this instead??
    tks

i have dell xps 420 and it has 375w psu. it needed 2x6pin and it had only 1. so i just made one more with 2xmolex.

i dont know if that matters if they are on one lead, they would not put 2 connectors from factory if they would need to share it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Just because it says it's 450 watts doesn't mean it will deliver that. A cheap PSU has the potential to damage your new card. I don't know how good Dell's PSU's are or if a third party one will fit. A quality PSU will only go near my hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Dell PSUs are usually actually pretty decent*. They're made by Delta, so they're quite high quality.

* Decent meaning they'll deliver what they're rated for; those ratings might not be high, and might not allow for any upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Serephucus wrote: »
    Dell PSUs are usually actually pretty decent*. They're made by Delta, so they're quite high quality.

* Decent meaning they'll deliver what they're rated for; those ratings might not be high, and might not allow for any upgrades.

yup, i would not put dell psu with all the garbage ebay stuff. those things are decent and will do what they say on the label. my old xps 420 is a living prove.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I dont like dell but one thing they make sure is high quality is there psu's.

• Advertisement
Advertisement