Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Westboro Bastid Church.

• 18-02-2012 5:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭

Not ones to miss a opportunity to show the world what a group of sick cnuts they are, The Westboro Baptist Church crackpots plan to picket Whitney Houstons funeral, and have released a rehash of "I will always love you". Its against the law in the States to mention Christmas inside a public school, but these guys are allowed to spout whatever they like ?
    What has gone wrong with America ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Duiske wrote: »
    Its against the law in the States to mention Christmas inside a public school

No wonder, it's wayyyy to early to be talking about Christmas again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Whitney will never see another christmas :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Not ones to miss a opportunity to show the world what a group of sick cnuts they are, The Westboro Baptist Church crackpots plan to picket Whitney Houstons funeral, and have released a rehash of "I will always love you". Its against the law in the States to mention Christmas inside a public school, but these guys are allowed to spout whatever they like ?

Freedom of speech = something wrong?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

How in the hell could any group take a message from The Holy Bible (The word of God) and deem this behaviour to be reflective of said message!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

No wonder, it's wayyyy to early to be talking about Christmas again.

I get pissed every Saturday night, so by my calculation its only 44 hangovers away. Creeping up on us fast.

• Advertisement

How in the hell could any group take a message from The Holy Bible (The word of God) and deem this behaviour to be reflective of said message!:eek:

tic toc tic toc............2 hours later.
    Just read it again
    GO WESTBORO!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Fred Phelps is one sick guy but he is a genius at attracting publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

You're letting yourself be trolled. Congrats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

The word of whose God?
    I thought the word of God was found in the Koran, or was it the Talmud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

FrostyJack wrote: »

If freedom of speech is defined as tolerating bigotry, racism, homophobia and religious hatred then yea, theres something very wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Captain Morgan Freeman

They are bullies and like all bullies they feed off attention. Making this song happens to get them a lot of attention which is proved by the existence of this thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

The wacko's of the Westboro Baptist Church use any opportunity to gain publicity.
    It will surprise me not if they find themselves shoved securely to one side by the areas police force and their actions heavily curtailed.
    They are a bunch of religious nut jobs and they give other far more decent faith following people a bad name by their actions, in the name of 'religion'.
    I have no sympathy for them if their freedom of expression is somewhat stemmed.
    I'm all for freedom of expression but theirs is usually one filled with hate - not love - so stuff them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Atlantis50

Is it? :confused:

If freedom of speech is defined as tolerating bigotry, racism, homophobia and religious hatred then yea, theres something very wrong.

The alternative is restricting the right to protest in order to cater for a tiny group of people such as the Phelps (don't forget, the Westboro Baptist Church is essentially one family). Provided that there is no violence and no incitement to violence, it may be part of the price of freedom. They very rarely get close to funerals these days anyway, as they're usually outnumbered by counter-protestors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Fred Phelps is one sick guy but he is a genius at attracting publicity.

I reckon Fred Phelps is one of the biggest closet cases on the planet. If I dropped a dollar anywhere in the same town as him, I'd either kick it home or write off the loss.:):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

Ahhh there so stupid it's funny. Supposedly they hate the Irish too the feckers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Freedom of speech doesn't mean shouting and ranting what you want when you want.
    People have a right not to be bothered by ass-holes and to bury their dead in peace.
    Try spouting this "freedom of speech" nonsense when the guards pull you for following people along O'Connell St, and shouting and ranting at them with racial or homophobic remarks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

daz801 wrote: »
    Ahhh there so stupid it's funny. Supposedly they hate the Irish too the feckers.

No supposedly about it http://www.godhatestheworld.com/ireland/index.html

Freedom of speech doesn't mean shouting and ranting what you want when you want.
    People have a right not to be bothered by ass-holes and to bury their dead in peace.
    Try spouting this "freedom of speech" nonsense when the guards pull you for following people along O'Connell St, and shouting and ranting at them with racial or homophobic remarks.

O'Connell St is not in America last time I checked. I didn't say they were morally right, but there is no law against what they do. They are just good Christians following what they believe is right according to their book, not like the rest of the flip flopper Christians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Its against the law in the States to mention Christmas inside a public school, but these guys are allowed to spout whatever they like ?
    They've been before the Supreme Court in a couple of cases. One of which was their picketing outside the funeral of a gay soldier. The ruling was upheld constitutionally, in an 8-1 vote. Rightly so, in fact. Not all speech should be silenced for being disagreeable. Even the really stupid stuff. Perhaps especially the stupid stuff, so it can be seen for what it is.

In a similar case they picketed the funeral of a girl who was killed in the Tucson shooting. Though in response, a counter group of picketers set up a barrier of angels to block the WBC pickets from being seen by mourners.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

I wish I could get away with holding up signs expressing my hates in life in such unequivocal terms

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

O' gawd... I can hear the politically correct already getting prepared to give out about that film!
    They just got over Kickass! :pac:

O'Connell St is not in America last time I checked. I didn't say they were morally right, but there is no law against what they do.
    You said "Freedom of speech = something wrong?", which implies you don't think there is anything wrong with the action.
    Just because there isn't a specific law against something doesn't mean it is right, similarly just because something has been made illegal doesn't mean it is wrong.
    They are just good Christians following what they believe is right according to their book, not like the rest of the flip flopper Christians.
    Would you condone stoning or eye gouging? That's in their book as well.
    The 9/11 lads were only doing what they thought was right too, since when did religion become a legitimate excuse to do anything you want?

O'Connell St is not in America last time I checked. I didn't say they were morally right, but there is no law against what they do. They are just good Christians following what they believe is right according to their book, not like the rest of the flip flopper Christians.

No, they really aren't good Christians..

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

Its all very well to say.."well they are only exercising their constitutional rights as enshrined in the 1st amendment" ..but at what point does it go from being free speech and becoming incitement to hatred??

Also, why would the Westboro Baptist Church be picketing Whintey Houstons' funeral anyway??
    I reckon the best thing to do with these muppets is to ignore them....

daithi

You said "Freedom of speech = something wrong?", which implies you don't think there is anything wrong with the action.
    Just because there isn't a specific law against something doesn't mean it is right, similarly just because something has been made illegal doesn't mean it is wrong.

Would you condone stoning or eye gouging? That's in their book as well.
    The 9/11 lads were only doing what they thought was right too, since when did religion become a legitimate excuse to do anything you want?

You said say it to a Guard in Dublin. They are in America, hence the legal stance. If you block these fools, what is to stop say, someone having a pro-gay march? Some people would find that offensive, hence freedom of speech thing, get it?

I do not condone any religion, I don't believe in myths, but they have the right to the right to practice theirs as long as it doesn't break the law. The point I was making is they stick to what they believe, unlike other preachers who say one thing then do coke off rentboys.

No, they really aren't good Christians..

They are according to that big book they read. Have a look through it some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Wee Willie Frazer should invite them over for the parade at Easter, the more the merrier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

..would you shout FIRE!! in a crowded cinema or night club?

d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

When it's to bully and hurt, yep. That comment is so disingenuous and tbh looks like you're trying to appear all "progressive". So the free speech rights of ***** like them should take precedence over the rights of those on the receiving end who are already in enough distress? Absolute free speech doesn't exist, thankfully - slander being one example of how this is the case.
    Let them publish all the hate they want - nobody has to read it. But disrupting a private funeral? ****ers should get a beating - although they have that one covered by bringing kids with them. :rolleyes:

The GodhatesIreland thing is due to Ireland's tolerance (in their eyes) of homosexuality.

You said say it to a Guard in Dublin. They are in America, hence the legal stance.
    Your initial comment said nothing about legality.
    If you block these fools, what is to stop say, someone having a pro-gay march? Some people would find that offensive, hence freedom of speech thing, get it?
    Taunting people at a funeral is not a march.
    I do not condone any religion, I don't believe in myths, but they have the right to the right to practice theirs as long as it doesn't break the law.
    As I said, the legality of something doesn't indicate its morality.
    The point I was making is they stick to what they believe, unlike other preachers who say one thing then do coke off rentboys.
    And I showed that just believing something doesn't legitimise it.

daithi1970 wrote: »
    Its all very well to say.."well they are only exercising their constitutional rights as enshrined in the 1st amendment" ..but at what point does it go from being free speech and becoming incitement to hatred??
    The point when they say people should go out and lynch gays... which, hasn't happened. They're saying the reason your son is dead is because he is gay. Which is not exactly incitement to hatred. Even from an evangelical perspective I don't see how that message can be construed as 'you're right, we should go out and kill gays', etc.

There is a line, it just hasn't been crossed.

Overheal wrote: »
    The point when they say people should go out and lynch gays... which, hasn't happened. They're saying the reason your son is dead is because he is gay. Which is not exactly incitement to hatred. Even from an evangelical perspective I don't see how that message can be construed as 'you're right, we should go out and kill gays', etc.

There is a line, it just hasn't been crossed.
    Disrupting his funeral isn't crossing the line?

I just find this "respect intolerance to be tolerant" such bullsh1t - and kinda looks like going against the grain for the sake of it.

They are according to that big book they read. Have a look through it some time.

I have read through it, and I'd suggest you do the same. They seem to be the only "Christians" preaching the message that God hates everyone and everything, and the other nearly 2 billion Christians believe in a God of love - I'm going to go out on a limb and say that they aren't good Christians.

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    Disrupting his funeral isn't crossing the line?

I just find this "respect intolerance to be tolerant" such bullsh1t - and kinda looks like going against the grain for the sake of it.
    The details are available in the Supreme Court audio of the hearing, here

http://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_arguments/argument_audio_detail.aspx?argument=09-751

One of the points raised is that the father of the deceased himself made the matter public, which in turn begot a public response by the WBC. The audio is about an hour long, but interesting nonetheless. There was also the case of the distance at which the protesting happened, which is to say they didn't exactly barge into the funeral home or anything.

When it's to bully and hurt, yep. That comment is so disingenuous and tbh looks like you're trying to appear all "progressive". So the free speech rights of ***** like them should take precedence over the rights of those on the receiving end who are already in enough distress? Absolute free speech doesn't exist, thankfully - slander being one example of how this is the case.
    Let them publish all the hate they want - nobody has to read it. But disrupting a private funeral? ****ers should get a beating - although they have that one covered by bringing kids with them. :rolleyes:

The GodhatesIreland thing is due to Ireland's tolerance (in their eyes) of homosexuality.

Yes you know what I am trying to be, thanks for telling me. Why haven't they been arrested? Why haven't they been shot/beaten up? I never said they were right to do what they do, I hate them with a passion. The 1st ammendment law protects them as it does ALL minorities, to nit pick what offends YOU or YOU see is wrong is irrelevant. Over here we don't have that, so they would probably recieve a hiding at some stage.

1.Your initial comment said nothing about legality.

2.Taunting people at a funeral is not a march.

3.As I said, the legality of something doesn't indicate its morality.

4.And I showed that just believing something doesn't legitimise it.

1.Freedom of speech = legal

2.I used an example of people expressing their opinion, I thought that was obvious.

3.I never said they were moral

4.I never said they were legitimite, I said they have a right, that is all.

I have read through it, and I'd suggest you do the same. They seem to be the only "Christians" preaching the message that God hates everyone and everything, and the other nearly 2 billion Christians believe in a God of love - I'm going to go out on a limb and say that they aren't good Christians.

Majority = right? Discuss. Google what the Church say, they even put in the location in the bible where they quote, one of good thing they do.

Yes you know what I am trying to be, thanks for telling me. Why haven't they been arrested? Why haven't they been shot/beaten up? I never said they were right to do what they do, I hate them with a passion. The 1st ammendment law protects them as it does ALL minorities, to nit pick what offends YOU or YOU see is wrong is irrelevant. Over here we don't have that, so they would probably recieve a hiding at some stage.
    It's nothing to do with what I personally find wrong, it's about not letting ***** be ***** to other people.

Why the rights of people to be bullies would be championed is beyond me...

• Advertisement

1.Freedom of speech = legal
    There are limits, as has been mentioned earlier. Freedom of speech does not mean you can say what you like when you like.
    3.I never said they were moral
    4.I never said they were legitimite, I said they have a right, that is all.
    You questioned whether it's wrong. It is.

Majority = right? Discuss. Google what the Church say, they even put in the location in the bible where they quote, one of good thing they do.
    They back up their views, every one, with bible passages so the majority of christians are wrong to believe in the god of love as opposed to the 'jealous, vengeful, one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

In fairness lads their version of that song couldn't be any worse than the original

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

It's disturbing that people that this are allowed to walk the street it truly is.

It takes a real special sort of person to preach the love of god, the word of god and then have no thought not just for the deceased but for those they left behind, a daughter, a mother. When you think about it, I mean really think about it you begin to realise that you just don't know what sort of nutters are out there in the world.

I hope that wherever Whitney's spirit is she knows some peace now, she surely knew none for the last 20 or more years. I hope she knows she is not hated and I hope her family know the same, there were to many people who loved her and admired her for a sad bunch of repressed homosexuals to put a dent in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Interestingly God doesnt seem to hate Kyrgyzstan :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Counter protest/pisstake of WBC, it's good :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

What about these guys? I'm confused...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

OFFS!!

The vast majority of the American people absolutely hate the Westboro Baptist Church. And, there have been numerous anti-protests conducted against them and their campaign of bigotry.

And, here in the US, we recognize the separation of Church and State. Schools are administered by the state government, and therefore fall under this doctrine. We also support the Bill of Rights, including the Rights to Freedom of Speech, Religion, and Assembly. The purpose of the Bill of Rights is not to protect speech that everyone agrees on, it is there to protect all forms of speech whether distasteful or not.

Overheal wrote: »
    They've been before the Supreme Court in a couple of cases. One of which was their picketing outside the funeral of a gay soldier. The ruling was upheld constitutionally, in an 8-1 vote. Rightly so, in fact. Not all speech should be silenced for being disagreeable. Even the really stupid stuff. Perhaps especially the stupid stuff, so it can be seen for what it is.

In a similar case they picketed the funeral of a girl who was killed in the Tucson shooting. Though in response, a counter group of picketers set up a barrier of angels to block the WBC pickets from being seen by mourners.

What most people don't know about the Phelps is that most of the children are licensed attorneys. They support their families and their protest activities by suing state and local governments that infringe upon their rights. Essentially, they receive damages when they are not permitted to protest at these types of events. So, you are damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

Also, why would the Westboro Baptist Church be picketing Whintey Houstons' funeral anyway??
    I reckon the best thing to do with these muppets is to ignore them....

daithi

They ride the back of any highly publicized death or event. Recently in WA, there was a father who killed himself and his two sons. His wife has been missing for several years so this family has been in and out of the spotlight for quite some time.

The WBC made an announcement that they were going to protest at the funerals of these small boys. A local radio station offered them two hours of free radio time in exchange for not protesting at the funerals. The WBC decided to accept their offer.

The WBC has made a name for themselves by protesting at funerals of fallen military personnel. In response, a group of veterans have begun to counter-protest against them. This is the Patriot Guard.

• Advertisement
Advertisement