Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Westboro Bastid Church.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Overheal wrote: »
    The point when they say people should go out and lynch gays... which, hasn't happened. They're saying the reason your son is dead is because he is gay. Which is not exactly incitement to hatred.
    No, what they are saying is that your son is dead because America has a lax stance on homosexuality in the army and in society in general - not because the son was gay. If that isn't incitement to hatred against gays, I don't know what is.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭stupidfishy

WBC - Weally Bad Chwistians

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

I am mystified as to how they have the funds to fly around the US holding their protests. IIRC in the Louis Theroux docu most of them were soliciters by trade, but who in their right mind would have these people represent them in court?

re the hate Ireland thing I would love it, absoloutely love it, if they had the balls to bring their protests to Dublin. They would be on the ground getting their jaw knocked in four within two seconds of stamping on the tricolour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I'd love to see their Church blown up or someone drive by and riddle them during one of their 'protests'. But they're protected under American law. The US Supreme court can't just select what instances they do and do not want to apply a law to and don't want to set a precedence for further issues down the road. These Westboro cúnts know exactly what boundaries they must stay within in order to avoid breaking the law. And they push it right to the edge but never cross it in a legal sense. If they were banned from protesting on a certain ground it would mean further protests on different topics could be too if a good enough lawyer handled a case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Ah if Karma was real and the world was just they'd end up with some suicide bomber in their church one morning.... oh well.

U
    S
    A

U
    S
    A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I am mystified as to how they have the funds to fly around the US holding their protests. IIRC in the Louis Theroux docu most of them were soliciters by trade, but who in their right mind would have these people represent them in court?.

Their views aren't that far removed from the rleigious right, or republican party, as far as Im concerened. I would presume they get a lot bussiness from these types of people.

Personally I think if there is any evidence to show that God does not exist, or if s/he does exist (which s/he doesnt) s/he is one uncaring,evil f**k. I was watching Whitney's interview with Ophrah on tv the other night. In ever second sentence she mentioned her relationship with God, and how she prayed every night for God to give her the strength to leave her situtation and get clean. God obviously didn't care too much to let her dies in the way she did.
    Whats damaging is this was a women who was desperatly lost, and convinced herself the only way out was to put her faith in a mythical being who had no chance of changing her circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭DannyKing

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but there is no such thing as god. these people are just lunatics and should be locked up. Or send them to Israel or Gaza where they might feel closer to their ''god''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Not those nutjob ****s again, they should be out working instead of picketing funerals. What a bunch of assholes.

At least Whitneys with her career now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Naomi00 wrote: »

Counter protest/pisstake of WBC, it's good :p

I opened the thread to post that, you beat me to it!

Brilliant video, even for people who don't like the Foos (if such people exist :P). For anyone who hasn't watched it: the band hear that the Westboros are planning to protest outside their show, so they get a truck, drive past and park opposite them (in costumes) playing a song about gay truckers meeting in garages :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

panda100 wrote: »
    I am mystified as to how they have the funds to fly around the US holding their protests. IIRC in the Louis Theroux docu most of them were soliciters by trade, but who in their right mind would have these people represent them in court?.

Their views aren't that far removed from the rleigious right, or republican party, as far as Im concerened. I would presume they get a lot bussiness from these types of people.
    I'd have to disagree with you on the Republican Party - overall, it's not so extreme as to be close to the Phelps' stance. I don't think anyone high profile supports them either, and not many low-profile. Vast majority of the church is made up of the Phelps family.
    Staunch Republicans and members of the christian right may agree with the homophobia but they're not going to agree with the picketing of dead soldiers' funerals. They're not going to agree that "GodhatesAmerica" either.

The church is reviled by all quarters. Interestingly, Phelps was a Democrat when more involved in politics, and even pally with Al Gore! Phelps also fought for civil rights in the 1960s, being legal representation for black people. Not what you'd expect eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Dudess wrote: »
    Interestingly, Phelps was a Democrat when more involved in politics, and even pally with Al Gore! Phelps also fought for civil rights in the 1960s, being legal representation for black people. Not what you'd expect eh?

A lot of seriously mentally ill people were relatively sane at one time.

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Interestingly, Phelps was a Democrat when more involved in politics, and even pally with Al Gore! Phelps also fought for civil rights in the 1960s, being legal representation for black people. Not what you'd expect eh?

A lot of seriously mentally ill people were relatively sane at one time.
    Nah he was always a maniac - testimonies from his children (those who "strayed from the flock") of horrendous physical and verbal abuse by him when they were very young.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I opened the thread to post that, you beat me to it!

Brilliant video, even for people who don't like the Foos (if such people exist :P). For anyone who hasn't watched it: the band hear that the Westboros are planning to protest outside their show, so they get a truck, drive past and park opposite them (in costumes) playing a song about gay truckers meeting in garages :D

What I find hilarious is that half the WBC protesters there don't even realise what he's singing about until he gives his mini-speech about "Men lovin' men and women lovin' women - and we all know we all like to see that" :pac:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Personally I think if there is any evidence to show that God does not exist, or if s/he does exist (which s/he doesnt) s/he is one uncaring,evil f**k. I was watching Whitney's interview with Ophrah on tv the other night. In ever second sentence she mentioned her relationship with God, and how she prayed every night for God to give her the strength to leave her situtation and get clean. God obviously didn't care too much to let her dies in the way she did.
    Whats damaging is this was a women who was desperatly lost, and convinced herself the only way out was to put her faith in a mythical being who had no chance of changing her circumstances.

Their views are extremely distanced from the Republican Party. They may be as extreme in their particular belief of religious dogma as members of the Party, but Republicans are very much pro-military and so any organization that consistently ****s on the military is very much an enemy to the Republican Party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

I am mystified as to how they have the funds to fly around the US holding their protests. IIRC in the Louis Theroux docu most of them were soliciters by trade, but who in their right mind would have these people represent them in court?

re the hate Ireland thing I would love it, absoloutely love it, if they had the balls to bring their protests to Dublin. They would be on the ground getting their jaw knocked in four within two seconds of stamping on the tricolour.

As written above:

"What most people don't know about the Phelps is that most of the children are licensed attorneys. They support their families and their protest activities by suing state and local governments that infringe upon their rights. Essentially, they receive damages when they are not permitted to protest at these types of events. So, you are damned if you do, and damned if you don't."

Furthermore, many of the daughters are either in the teaching profession or the nursing profession. They are adamant that they separate their religious beliefs from their professional activities, but I doubt anyone with such extreme views can do so adequately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

How in the hell could any group take a message from The Holy Bible (The word of God) and deem this behaviour to be reflective of said message!:eek:
    "Take your son, your only son – yes, Isaac, whom you love so much – and go to the land of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains, which I will point out to you." (Genesis 22:1-18)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Icepick wrote: »
    "Take your son, your only son – yes, Isaac, whom you love so much – and go to the land of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains, which I will point out to you." (Genesis 22:1-18)

1 Peter 4:8
    Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.

Proverbs 10:12
    Hatred stirs up dissension, but love covers over all wrongs

Ephesians 4:32 ESV

Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.

Proverbs 24:17 ESV

Do not rejoice when your enemy falls, and let not your heart be glad when he stumbles

John 15:12 ESV

This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.

I honestly don't know how they justify their extreme views when the Bible is so full of messages of love and treating each other with respect (equally there are many bizaare passages in the Bible).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭btard

Greatest real life trolls ever. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Eoin_

FrostyJack wrote: »
    Freedom of speech = something wrong?

With every right, such as freedom of speech, comes with responsibilities. If you go out of your way to hurt someone, you should no longer have the right to say what you want. Otherwise racism and other such evils would be allowed, and we can all agree they're wrong. Here in Ireland one cant even blaspheme! I mean for God's sake......

Can someone tell me why what they're saying doesn't fall under an Incitement Of Hatred Act, or do they not have such a law in America?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

I honestly don't know how they justify their extreme views when the Bible is so full of messages of love and treating each other with respect (equally there are many bizaare passages in the Bible).
    You can justify almost anything with a bit of selective quoting from the Bible, and if you were to take Yahweh's example you would be "smiting" your enemies rather than loving them.
    How can you believe on one hand to "love thine enemy" after reading about the big Y leading His people on a bloodthirsty spree of ethnic cleansing through the Middle East? Do as I say, not as I do maybe?

• Advertisement

FrostyJack wrote: »
    They are according to that big book they read. Have a look through it some time.

All the same they seem to have a remarkable (if not entirely unique) fixation with a handful of passages of the book in question to the apparent overlooking of most of the rest of it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Eoin_

You can justify almost anything with a bit of selective quoting from the Bible, and if you were to take Yahweh's example you would be "smiting" your enemies rather than loving them.
    How can you believe on one hand to "love thine enemy" after reading about the big Y leading His people on a bloodthirsty spree of ethnic cleansing through the Middle East? Do as I say, not as I do maybe?

Just a by the way, Most people now days realise that the old testament is not historical fact nor is to be taken literally. The stories in themselves are not truths, but they nearly always contain certain truths which may or may not be relevant today, and which can be found upon close examination and reflection of the text.
    This said, nothing of what those wbc idiots are saying makes any sense. They are an absolute disgrace! Not being able to do something about them is infuriating!

Eoin_ wrote: »
    They are an absolute disgrace! Not being able to do something about them is infuriating!

Does Kansas not have a legal process for the involuntary dentention and treatment of the clinically insane ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

If any shower of bastards ever deserved to get blown away in a drive-by shooting it's this lot when they're out 'protesting'.

I don't know how they've managed to survive this long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

You can cherrypick everything from the Bible. They cherrypick the ugly parts; you the nice-ish ones.
    It shows that Christianity does not teach good morals if left alone.
    But the morals of the society have changed and now make a lot of Christians pick the nice parts.

Eoin_ wrote: »
    Just a by the way, Most people now days realise that the old testament is not historical fact nor is to be taken literally.
    Huge numbers of people, in fact a very substantial proportion of the population, in the worlds richest and most militarily powerful country do take the Bible literally, and see it as historical fact.
    The stories in themselves are not truths, but they nearly always contain certain truths which may or may not be relevant today, and which can be found upon close examination and reflection of the text.
    This is exactly why the Bible is useless as any sort of guide.
    If certain parts of it are relevant for certain times, then it is the people of that particular time who are picking and choosing what is relevant. Since anything can be justified by this picking and choosing, then it is the feeling of the time and not the Bible that is the ultimate guide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

These people are not whackos believe it or not. most of the adults are Lawyers. they make money suing people who step over the line in confronting them at their rallies. it's a ****ing goldmine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

sure they can think what they like, they're just as mad as everyone else

I have read some athiest leaning bollix on this board in my time but this takes the biscuit tin.

Republicans and bible bashers tacitly condone protests at the funerals of dead soldiers? Get a fcuking grip. If anything the religious right and Republican right wing patriots would hate the Westboro church more than some Democrat voting liberals who would be of the opinion that they are a vile bunch but deserve freedom of speech regardless.

I am not in the slightest bit religious, but even you would not argue against religion having turned around the lives of a few very damaged people. Mike Tyson would be a good example. 5 years ago he was an alcoholic, a drug addict, a mentally volatile rage machine. Now he is clean, sober, mellow, all thanks to a faith, even if said faith might be untrue his belief in Islam has undoubtedtly made him a calmer, saner person.

Again, I am not religious but people who read bollix like Richard Dawkins are lower down the intelligence scale than alot of religious folk.

Aparty from Scientologists. Who actually are retarded.

Staunch Republicans and members of the christian right may agree with the homophobia but they're not going to agree with the picketing of dead soldiers' funerals. They're not going to agree that "GodhatesAmerica" either.

There is somewhat of a difference between a few republicans opposing gay marriage and the disgusting descriptions of what gays apparently en masse get up to that are on his site....honestly, you must wonder how or why oul Fred decides to take the time to post rambling proclaimations about lads taking dumps on each other. He is one odd fellow.

What gives you the insight (or right) to say one belief is ok and another "retarded"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

What gives you the insight (or right) to say one belief is ok and another "retarded"?

Because Scientology is actually retarded. It's not a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Because Scientology is actually retarded. It's not a religion.
    Why would Christianity be any more viable than Scientology?
    If in 2000 years Scientology had 2 Billion adherents would you still think it was retarded?
    Would you have said Christianity was retarded when it was a small sect with a few hundred followers?
    Basically what gives a belief viability and when do you start calling it "A religion".
    I await your response with baited breath. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Everybody loves the bible until people start taking it literally.

Then it becomes dangerous.

If in 2000 years Scientology had 2 Billion adherents would you still think it was retarded?
    Would you have said Christianity was retarded when it was a small sect with a few hundred followers?
    Basically what gives a belief viability and when do you start calling it "A religion".

[after hearing the Super Adventure Club's/ Scientology story]Kyle: Do you realize how retarded that sounds?Mr. Connolly: Is it any more retarded than the idea of God sending his only son down to die for our sins? Is it any more retarded that Buddha sitting beneath a tree for twenty years?Stan: Yeah, it's way, way more retarded.
    I am not saying certain tenets of established religions are not far fetched. However these beliefs have been engrained and passed down for millions of years. What do I care, it gives old people something to live for. In the western world in the 21st century Christianity holds little to no influence on the lives of the average Joe, so carry on I say.

Scientology was invented in the middle of the last century. I refuse to hold a single ounce of respect for anyone who believes one iota of that garbage. Tom Cruise, John Travolta, Isacc Hayes, complete and utter fcukwits the lot of them (and in Hayes case, seeing as L Ron Hubbard was atrociously racist the whole thing is even more baffling)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:American_Scientologists

Category: American Gobsh1tes. Every last one of them. Apart from Hubbard himself of course, who wisely realised there was a few bob to be made out of this crap.

edit- come to think about it its a bit disappointing that Fred Phelps wasnt in the SP Trapped in the Closet episode :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

I have read some athiest leaning bollix on this board in my time but this takes the biscuit tin.

Republicans and bible bashers tacitly condone protests at the funerals of dead soldiers? Get a fcuking grip. If anything the religious right and Republican right wing patriots would hate the Westboro church more than some Democrat voting liberals who would be of the opinion that they are a vile bunch but deserve freedom of speech regardless.

I am not in the slightest bit religious, but even you would not argue against religion having turned around the lives of a few very damaged people. Mike Tyson would be a good example. 5 years ago he was an alcoholic, a drug addict, a mentally volatile rage machine. Now he is clean, sober, mellow, all thanks to a faith, even if said faith might be untrue his belief in Islam has undoubtedtly made him a calmer, saner person.

Again, I am not religious but people who read bollix like Richard Dawkins are lower down the intelligence scale than alot of religious folk.

There is somewhat of a difference between a few republicans opposing gay marriage and the disgusting descriptions of what gays apparently en masse get up to that are on his site....honestly, you must wonder how or why oul Fred decides to take the time to post rambling proclaimations about lads taking dumps on each other. He is one odd fellow.

Ah now! Mike Tyson? You could have chosen a lot of other people than Mike Tyson! Mike Tyson converted to Islam in prison 15 or so years ago supposedly. When he came out he was still a scumbag. He bit Holyfield's ear off, threatened to eat people's children, the list is endless. He's only calmed down in the last few years because he's getting old and eating more. I don't think it's religion, even if he says it is! I'd sooner believe it's valium/prozac.

[after hearing the Super Adventure Club's/ Scientology story]Kyle: Do you realize how retarded that sounds?Mr. Connolly: Is it any more retarded than the idea of God sending his only son down to die for our sins? Is it any more retarded that Buddha sitting beneath a tree for twenty years?Stan: Yeah, it's way, way more retarded.
    I am not saying certain tenets of established religions are not far fetched. However these beliefs have been engrained and passed down for millions of years.
    No religious belief has been passed down for millions of years, Judaism is about 4000 years old, with Christianity and Islam being just breakaway sects of that. The oldest is Hinduism which could be said to be nearly 9000 years old.
    What do I care, it gives old people something to live for.
    You do care, you insist that people, if they must believe, they at least believe old established nonsense instead of new nonsense, irrespective of the comfort it brings them.
    In the western world in the 21st century Christianity holds little to no influence on the lives of the average Joe, so carry on I say.
    You don't know much about the world do you.
    Scientology was invented in the middle of the last century. I refuse to hold a single ounce of respect for anyone who believes one iota of that garbage. Tom Cruise, John Travolta, Isacc Hayes, complete and utter fcukwits the lot of them (and in Hayes case, seeing as L Ron Hubbard was atrociously racist the whole thing is even more baffling)
    Every belief was invented, Hubbard is to Scientology as Mohammed is to Islam or Paul is to Christianity.
    You only respect people who believe old nonsense and not new nonsense, therefore you would have said the same about Christianity, Islam or Buddhism when they started. Therefore to you a Christian 2,000 years ago would have been "retarded" and one today with the same beliefs wouldn't be, you are illogical, and inconsistent. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Freedom of speech. If they want to express themselves in that way, then so be it.

• Advertisement

No religious belief has been passed down for millions of years, Judaism is about 4000 years old, with Christianity and Islam being just breakaway sects of that. The oldest is Hinduism which could be said to be nearly 9000 years old.

Hairy muff.

Still, there is a difference between religions
    that were invented in the days when European tribes were still performing child scarifices to the sun gods, as opposed to one invented 50 years ago.

Yes. Got it in one.
    You do care, you insist that people, if they must believe, they at least believe old established nonsense instead of new nonsense, irrespective of the comfort it brings them.

If my granny believes in the catholic church as a reassuring guidance in her twilight years I am happy for her.

If Tom Cruise believes in the word of Hubbard, I think he is a fcuking idiot.
    You don't know much about the world do you.

If you are going to claim that Christianity holds an involuntary hold over the lives of anyone in the Western World bar a few remote communities in the Deep South, or the Amish, you need to realise we no longer live in 1954.
    . Therefore to you a Christian 2,000 years ago would have been "retarded" and one today with the same beliefs wouldn't be, you are illogical, and inconsistent. ;)

Actually I would probably believe that Christianity sounded a bit more logical than sun worshipping and human sacrifices.
    Ah now! Mike Tyson? You could have chosen a lot of other people than Mike Tyson! Mike Tyson converted to Islam in prison 15 or so years ago supposedly. When he came out he was still a scumbag. He bit Holyfield's ear off, threatened to eat people's children, the list is endless. He's only calmed down in the last few years because he's getting old and eating more. I don't think it's religion, even if he says it is! I'd sooner believe it's valium/prozac.

He is down as saying that at the time he only converted to Islam to rebel against the American establishment he felt had unfairly jailed him. He was still drinking, taking drugs and shagging around until he actually started praying and such after his drug arrest a few years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Freedom of speech = the freedom to be a complete asshole.

There's a price with everything.

As for the Westboro baptist church...they have my full support. Not that I agree with them in any way, but anything which helps turn people away from religion is a good thing. The world would be a much nice place without all these fairytale superstitious religions.

Hairy muff.

Still, there is a difference between religions
    Yes, that is why they are known as different religions.
    If my granny believes in the catholic church as a reassuring guidance in her twilight years I am happy for her.

If Tom Cruise believes in the word of Hubbard, I think he is a fcuking idiot.
    You keep repeating yourself, but still can't give a reason why old beliefs are better or not as "retarded" as new ones.
    If you are going to claim that Christianity holds an involuntary hold over the lives of anyone in the Western World bar a few remote communities in the Deep South, or the Amish, you need to realise we no longer live in 1954.
    Who mentioned an involuntary hold?
    If you think Christianity has no relevance in most of The US you really must be living under a rock.
    Actually I would probably believe that Christianity sounded a bit more logical than sun worshipping and human sacrifices.
    This comment ignores the point I made.
    Worshipping the Sun is actually quite logical, since it is the giver of life to the vast majority of life on the planet, and except for Hydrogen, everything on, in, and what actually makes up the Earth, was made in a star.
    It's a bit more logical worshipping the real giver of life than some makey uppy deity.
    Anyway the above comment only shows that your considering some beliefs retarded, is based on nothing but your own biases, very sad indeed.
    He is down as saying that at the time he only converted to Islam to rebel against the American establishment he felt had unfairly jailed him. He was still drinking, taking drugs and shagging around until he actually started praying and such after his drug arrest a few years back.

Yes. Got it in one.
    Please when you are replying with quotes could you differentiate between different peoples comments, your post makes out these comments were replies to things I said.

He'd love the eat da poo poo guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I would ****ing love to have pissed those guys off enough for them to picket my funeral tbh.

If you disagree with those ****ers, Glenn Beck and Bill O Reilly then you are damn fine American i reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The loons are gona love this pic.I can see them furiously making posters & placards as we speak.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/02/28/article-2107338-11F31549000005DC-545_308x458.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement