Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

first broken nose , how long to take off. any advice going forward?

• 18-02-2012 6:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

took up training and sparring again after doing nothing since i was a kid and broke my nose two weeks ago. I have gone back to the gym but obviously not back sparring.

Just wondering how long i should take off before going back to sparring?

I reckon its gonna seriously knock my confidence too.

One of the guys in the gym reckons i am going to have constant problems with it going forward.

Any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭section4

eoinf wrote: »
    took up training and sparring again after doing nothing since i was a kid and broke my nose two weeks ago. I have gone back to the gym but obviously not back sparring.

Just wondering how long i should take off before going back to sparring?

I reckon its gonna seriously knock my confidence too.

One of the guys in the gym reckons i am going to have constant problems with it going forward.

Any tips?

The worst thing you can do is go back sparring too soon, train yes but dont spar till it has healed completely.
    You will not have constant problems with it if it is allowed to heal properly, you will have problems if you go back sparring beforfe it is jealed properly.
    Broken nose is a commmon thing in boxing and even the best get them so no reason it should knock your comfidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

cheers, i will give it a while before i start back sparring as i said i already went back training. Getting mixed advice in the gym so said i would ask on here.

as for the confidence , i guess i won't know until i step back in the ring. It took a a bit to do it in the first place after not boxing for nearly 10 years.
    I was going well with the training and sparring and holding my own but i got a right wallop and bust it up pretty good. didn't hit the deck or get knocked out but man did it bleed. I guess i was a bit embarrassed too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Happened me, and did knock my confidence for a while. Sparring too which was worse. Its been broken 3 times since, none in a ring, stupid things, bang of a football etc. Mine is still weak after 5 years and got a well placed jab the other night that was a sore one but it didn break thank god. It happens everyone, just take it easy for a while, and try not let it affect the confidence, your not the first one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭runboyrun

Nothing to be ashamed about at all getting your nose broke.

It will help you to improve you defence and you might be a little nervous for you first spar back but after a couple of spars you will be grand

It's important your sparring guys similar in weight and experience otherwise it will be hard to build your confidence if your being beaten up everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭section4

runboyrun wrote: »
    Nothing to be ashamed about at all getting your nose broke.

It will help you to improve you defence and you might be a little nervous for you first spar back but after a couple of spars you will be grand

It's important your sparring guys similar in weight and experience otherwise it will be hard to build your confidence if your being beaten up everyday.

i agree and it is most important that sparring is monitored by the trainer and no wars or liberty takers, sparring is for learning, you dont have to prove your self in sparring and that should be made clear in the club. i have seen too many brave trainers.
    The only time you shoud go that extra bit is in a real fight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement